No announcement yet.
X

Front tire removal.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah . We learn , dude . You'll know better NEXT time .....
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by notec View Post
      Well I finally got around to taking the front tire off........what a pain in the ***. Even after I unbolted the calipers I had to almost pry them off. The space between the disc and the inner lip of the rim is smaller than the caliper. The only other way would be to remove the disc as well. But its off now and the new skin will be on it tomorrow. It will be nice to have matching tires again.

Anyone know the torque specs of the axle nut??? Im looking through the service manual and cant find the specs for the front.

Actually, I found it.....thanks for looking
      I just went through the same ordeal last week. It just took a while to find the best angle to get the calipers clear of the rotor and wheel simultaneously. Finally got a new tire mounted on the wheel. When I put it back on last night it was much easer to get the calipers back on the rotor and bolted up.

Took it for a short test ride down the road and back and everything seemed fine. I went out to ride to work this morning and noticed a couple of the rotor bolts on the left side (speedo side) are barely scraping the forks. Didn't have time to mess with, had to get to work. Is it possible I over-torqued it? The wheel was spinning free last night when I had it on the center stand.
      1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

I take the inside bleeder screw off both calipers, they come right off...

Comment

I got it back on no problem, took your advice and opened the pads. Just getting ready to go back out and torque everything back down. I went with a bigger front tire, 120/70/17........boy does that ever look better. And now my tires match

Bridgestone Battlaxe sport

Ill report back to you in a few hours after I scrub the tires.....

Just got back in from a nice ride......bike handles so much better now with the wider tire. The last tire was undersized and scalloped bad. Made it really sketchy in the turns.
          Last edited by notec; 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I took my discs off when I did it, because I didn't want to mess with bleeding brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by ATOMonkey View Post
              I took my discs off when I did it, because I didn't want to mess with bleeding brakes.
              That's why I normally just take the cap off the master and compress them a little that way. Never had to go back and bleed them.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Notec, that is uncanny. I just replaced a smaller scalloped front tire with a 120/70/17 also, but a Metzler Z6 Interact. Rode 35 miles to work this morning, so much smoother.

I did over torque the axle, backed off a couple turns and everything looks good.
                1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  That's why I normally just take the cap off the master and compress them a little that way. Never had to go back and bleed them.

Krey
                  How did you compress the piston with the calipers still on the rotors? Or did you take the calipers off just enough to get a compressor in there?

Comment

I need to know this also. I have the exact same problem as OP. I can't get the caliper past the disc. I could only think back to reading this post yesterday and what Kreyln said, but couldn't see how to do it that way. Literally couldn't see because it was 9:00pm or so.
                    FROM WORK:
                    "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Unbolt the calipers.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Yeah guys , it pretty easy ....
                        Unbolt calipers , pull them back & forth a few times to push the pads in a bit , then slip them up & out of the way . Secure them somewhere so they don't hang & pull on the lines .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I didnt have to bleed my brakes. Just pumped the lever a few times and it was back to normal.

Comment

Originally posted by md86 View Post
                            Yeah guys , it pretty easy ....
                            Unbolt calipers , pull them back & forth a few times to push the pads in a bit , then slip them up & out of the way . Secure them somewhere so they don't hang & pull on the lines .

Originally posted by notec View Post
                            I didnt have to bleed my brakes. Just pumped the lever a few times and it was back to normal.

That would pretty much be it. You don't HAVE to take the cap off the master, it just makes it a little easier to compress by hand, so less likely for any issues. The system is still closed, so no air should be getting in. If it does, there might be another issue to check out.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Well, I tried again when I got home today with the help of some posters here and was able to get the wheel out of the forks. The trick seems to be to move the wheel as far back as possible and then turn the wheel slightly to the left to get the right side caliper to clear and the turn the wheel to the right to get the left side caliper to clear. Took me all of 2-3 minutes. Time to paint the wheels, woohoo.
                              FROM WORK:
                              "let's just say you are my favorite.I like a response back on the same day from work issues, not like a work husband who kind of heard a request and mentions it weeks later. just damn"

Comment

Great.........post pictures of before and after!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X