Kawi Z1000

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kawi Z1000

Hi,

I've tried searching the forum and the general internet for cross-reviews/comparisons between the Kat 750 and Kawi's Z1000. I know two obvious differences are full fairing vs. naked and power.

Does anyone have any seat time on both bikes that would like to chime in and give me your opinions about what you liked better about each bike?

Some may have stuck with the Kat because they liked it better, others maybe because they just can't afford the switch due to payments and/or insurance differences.

Love to hear from you guys as the Z1000 is on my hotlist of bikes to get .. matter of fact .. aside from my wife's zzr .. it's about the only bike on my hotlist

Thanks in advance
    2008 ZZR 600 (His)
    Black
    Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
    Red
    Solo Seat Cowl & Fender Eliminator

Some people carry on
    Some just stay right where they are
    Our worlds divide

Comment

Damnit .. I thought I had a comment .. ahh well .. care to share some of that popcorn?
      2008 ZZR 600 (His)
      Black
      Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
      Red

Comment

I know I have loved the Z1000 since i first layed eyes on the orange with the gold colored pipes that went 4-2-4....AHH I love it...and still want one of the 1st gens....

There really should be no comparo between a Kat and Kawi Z1000....I mean, performance wise. The Z has a Zx-10 motor, tuned for mid-range grunt, for darting in and out of traffic. Performance wise I don't think a Kat would hold a candle stick to it. Now, seating position, they could be similar. Both have an sit up (don't kill my back) seating position that you could easily ride 500-1,000 miles days on, if you were so inclined. But if you base solely on styling, The Z has it for me....If they made a full faired one (think SV1000S faired) aww man i would have one.....and I have never owned a newer Kawi so i'm not 100% sure about quality of their bikes now, but i did have an 83 KZ550 (the Z of it's day) and it was impeckable, nothing but oil changes, and tires, and a chain and sprocket....nothing but good times...
        Last edited by whitecl0ver; 08-26-2008, 08:27 AM.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks whitecl0ver. I'm still more or less undecided, but like you, I've been struck by the look of the Z ever since I first saw one. Of course the only color for 2008 in Canada is Kawi Green, but there's really not that much on the bike to get painted, so $1000 should effect a nice color change handily. I may look into it a little more when I get home. Also have to check insurance quotes .. if insurance is a lot more for the Z I'll stick with the Kat. kat has plenty of power and nice styling (for me), but I just love that Z1000. EFI is a nice feature as well.
          2008 ZZR 600 (His)
          Black
          Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
          Red

Comment

I think the styling on the Z1000 is so much better, so sexy.......I'm thinking about building plastics for my Katana similar to those.
            Let your bloodline fuel my youth!!!

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post

There really should be no comparo between a Kat and Kawi Z1000....I mean, performance wise. The Z has a Zx-10 motor, tuned for mid-range grunt, for darting in and out of traffic.

I used to think the same thing until I read a magazine last night. It described the motor and it was actually slightly smaller cc's than the zx-10. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just put different cams in the 10r motor and call it good but apparently they didn't. As an owner of an FZ1, I have always loved the Z1000's. It seems to be highly comparible to my bike. Aside from the older styles silly stock pipes, they are dead gorgeous!! I would love to take one for a ride some day, looks like great fun
              -1999 White FRC Corvette
              -2003 Black Kawasaki Z1000

Comment

Sadly though the Z is no more. Discontinued for 09 replaced with the 6EN. Another version of the ninja / versys 650. Looks nice, but I really like the L4 sound, and the 6en would be a step backwards performanc wise (in power at the very least) from my kat.
                2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                Black
                Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                Red

Comment

That's a bummer. I have never and don't intend to ever buy a new vehicle anyway though. Find a low mileage used one!
                  -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                    There really should be no comparo between a Kat and Kawi Z1000....I mean, performance wise. The Z has a Zx-10 motor, tuned for mid-range grunt, for darting in and out of traffic.
                    So far there's three web site reviews that state that the engine is from the ZX-9R, yet modified.

Originally posted by Electrical_Tech View Post
                    Sadly though the Z is no more. Discontinued for 09 replaced with the 6EN.
                    For us in the U.S. it is still available. It's in white.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Sadly though the Z is no more. Discontinued for 09 replaced with the 6EN. Another version of the ninja / versys 650. Looks nice, but I really like the L4 sound, and the 6en would be a step backwards performanc wise (in power at the very least) from my kat.
                      Hi ET

a 4-cilinder 1000cc engine replaced by a 2-cilinder 650cc engine? you must be joking.
                      Where do you live? can only be some european country I bet. :P

best off regards, Anoucka
                      Last edited by Anoucka; 04-04-2009, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
                        Where do you live? can only be some european country I bet.

Of course the only color for 2008 in Canada is Kawi Green, but there's really not that much on the bike to get painted, so $1000 should effect a nice color change handily.

My guess, Canada.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I really wish that the bike had more power!
                          -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Originally posted by Jet View Post
                            Hi ET

a 4-cilinder 1000cc engine replaced by a 2-cilinder 650cc engine? you must be joking.
                            Where do you live? can only be some european country I bet. :P

best off regards, Anoucka
                            That Z in the pic you posted is gorgeous!! If I found one like that I'd buy it just on principle.

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                            My guess, Canada.

Good catch !! LOL

Last time I checked the ZZR600 and Z1000 were both gone from Kawi's web site. I thought they were gone in the US as well for 2009.

As for the power Mdoe8, yeah for a litre bike it's no growler, but from everything I hear is has torque up the wazzoo!!

Torque gets you off the line, HP gets you the top speed.
                            Last edited by Electrical_Tech; 11-08-2008, 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            2008 ZZR 600 (His)
                            Black
                            Frame Sliders

2009 Ninja 250R (Hers)
                            Red

Comment

yeah. nothing a little pipe/tune/sprockets can't change!

I just LOVE the looks of the bike
                              -1999 White FRC Corvette

Comment

Working...
                              X