X

1988 Katana 600 - Bought it new, sold it, and bought it again

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Katana 600 - Bought it new, sold it, and bought it again

May of 1988 I was a senior in high school and I worked 3 jobs for about 2 years by then. Saved up a good wad of cash and decided to put it down on a brand new 1988 GSX600FJ. I had just sold my 1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 and was stopping by the Suzuki dealer every week to see the new Katana. All my friends were headed to college and I just was not ready. I planned to ride in late July to California with my 17 year old brother and our mutual best friend. Great time for about 3 weeks on the road with a car and this bike and we switched riding every gas tank full. It was my sole source of transport after they flew back and my father picked up the car we had. I commuted through Trabuco Canyon from Laguna to Anaheim everyday to work on Glassell for an instrument repair company. In May 1989 I rode it back in 3 days and it was a pretty crazy adventure!

Long story short, I sold it in 1991 to a guy in Edison NJ that was at Rutgers when it had about 21K miles. Fast forward to February 2015 and my daughter had just had surgery and I decided to Google the VIN# and low and behold it was on Craigslist for sale. Bought it again and found it was in pretty bad shape. For the past 6 months I have been finding stock NOS parts and buying them up.

This bike will be my full restoration project this winter. I cannot wait to bring it back to life and complete a full resto to the exact way I had the bike with the Vance and Hines 4 into 1.

Has anyone on this forum done a full teardown and rebuild on a 1988 600? Anything specific I need to watch out for? Any parts just not available at all? What were your best parts sources?

Thanks,
    J. Litvany
    Washington, DC

+1, use the 90-97 carbs. Much better carb and rebuild kits are readily available. other than that, it's just a hunt for the correct parts. I upgraded the bike I did, to as modern as I could on the electrics (loom and CDI) just for degradation failure reduction.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Interesting story. Welcome to KR and good luck with the build.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Cool story, welcome aboard! Might be a bit hard to find some parts as the 88 is alone by itself. The 89-97 And 98-06 are easier to find parts for because there were so many more made.

I wouldn't personally try to keep it stock '88, as others mentioned getting compatible parts from 89-97 models will be easier and less likely to have issues (if purchasing used parts).

88 carbs are supposed to be particularly difficult to find parts for.

Best of luck!
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Working...
          X