X

It's not just the bike ........

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not just the bike ........

I'll admit it: I've been thinking of a bike with a little more in the way of pick-up.

Went on a ride last week with a ton of bikes. What I found was that I can definitely keep up with some of the folks on newer, more-racing-than-touring bikes (F4i, YZF600, R6, etc.). Obviously, the bike isn't everything - the rider plays a role. Makes me think there's no reason to change bikes, but faster acceleration would still be nice.

have you considered resprocketing your sprockets for more acceleration? It's a quick, cheap fix (at the price of some top-end speed)...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

that is what I am about to do
      TiM

Comment

I was a better rider on my Kat....then I crashed!

Comment

awe we still think ur a good rider !!

Comment

I slow rider on a fast bike .............................

Is still slow.

I have a video of me just running away from a guy on a R1, but had I been the one on the R1, no way in hell would he have kept up with me no matter WHAT bike he was on.
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

And THEN you crashed a Triumph , too :-k .....
              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                have you considered resprocketing your sprockets for more acceleration? It's a quick, cheap fix (at the price of some top-end speed)...

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                In all honesty: no. We won't talk about why I haven;t ..... 8)

How much difference will that make?
                And I have no idea what would be involved - DIY or machine shop, etc.

Thanks

Comment

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Originally posted by nurider
                  In all honesty: no.

Depends on the amount you change the gearing. 10 to 15% difference is easy, 30% can be done. You can find the sprocket tables to figure what percentage change and everything else you'd want to know about it in general here: Katana GSXF Sprocket Ratio Tables Look-up, at MotorcycleAnchor.com, the best American made security ground anchors for your motorcycle!

As for parts:
                  New sprockets, new chain.
                  Labor:
                  Impact tool of some sort for the front sprocket if you change it. Just hand tools for the rear sprocket. Have to drop the rear wheel. Less than an hour at any shop, or a straight-forwad DIY project (search the mechanics forums for what to do, pitfalls, problems, tips).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

i went 3 up in the rear - i does help.

i also follow the 7-11 rule. ( ride it in the powerband 7k to 11k )

tim

Comment

I have been thinkin of doing this also this winter. Cyber do you have a link like the last one for pre 98? a (96)
                      Life's fast so you have to be faster, ride fast and take risks...

Comment

Originally posted by JJ0712
                        I have been thinkin of doing this also this winter. Cyber do you have a link like the last one for pre 98? a (96)
                        If your stock OEM gearing is 15/47 (it should have been for most 88 - 97 kats), then the same table applies. If your stock gearing is something else, you'll find a link on that page to how to do the math yourself.

Cheers
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by nurider
                          In all honesty: no.

Depends on the amount you change the gearing. 10 to 15% difference is easy, 30% can be done. You can find the sprocket tables to figure what percentage change and everything else you'd want to know about it in general here: Katana GSXF Sprocket Ratio Tables Look-up, at MotorcycleAnchor.com, the best American made security ground anchors for your motorcycle!

As for parts:
                          New sprockets, new chain.
                          Labor:
                          Impact tool of some sort for the front sprocket if you change it. Just hand tools for the rear sprocket. Have to drop the rear wheel. Less than an hour at any shop, or a straight-forwad DIY project (search the mechanics forums for what to do, pitfalls, problems, tips).

Cheers
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Thanks. Will have to look thru it to decide whether I'll just continue being lazy in this regard or be useful.

Comment

Our bikes love 7/11rpm. a rear sprocket change is easy, call anyone that carries JP or sprocket specialties sprockets and you can get a 48 for next to nothing and a 49 tooth for about $75(custom made) you really want to keep the front at 15 for live span of the chain.
                            a15/47 is stock for pre 98 kats and that comes to a ratio of 3.13 to 1 and the 15/49 is a ratio of 3.26 to 1 thus more low end grunt for throttle out of corners.
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Working...
                            X