X

Advice,help !!!!!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice,help !!!!!!!

Hi everyone, its been awhile since I posted. I hope everyone is doing good. Here is my question. I have a 03 600 gixxer and my drain nut threads are stripped on my oil pan. To take the full exhaust off to replace the oil pan do I have to take off my radiator? Secondly, do I have to replace the gaskets on the exhaust or can I just reuse them? Or isnt there any gaskets. What happen was I notice I had a small oil leak, I brought a new drain plug hoping that would fix the problem. When I did that, I found the pan itself was stripped. I probably done 7 oils changes on the bike and I must have been over tightening the nut. Over time it finally strippered.

Thanks,
    Mickey

(A) I don't know about the GSXR well enough to know if the radiator has to come totally off, or if you can just loosen it and the exhaust will clear.

(B) The exhaust system has to come off to get at the pan.

(C) The exhaust gaskets can normally be reused with no issue.

(D) You have several options on what to do with the pan. You can:
    use an over-sized drain bolt designed to cut a new thread into the pan. This is the cheapest solution available, but I've never seen this kind of bolt with a magnet integrated.
    Have the drain threads in the pan welded and then retapped. If you weld, it makes sense; if you don't, I wouldn't suggest going this route.
    Replace the pan with an used one off eBay. This is usually the cheapest option.
    Order a brand new replacement through a dealer. This is usually the most expensive option (price varies by bike -- some bikes have much cheaper pans than others).

(E) In the future, use a torque wrench and a crush-washer when reinstalling the stock drain pan bolt, and always start the process by hand-threading it in (too easy to cross-thread it if you start with the tool).

(F) Finally, if you replace the drain bolt on the new pan with a Fumoto Oil Drain valve (an one-time exchange), it will never happen again, because that drain valve doesn't get removed again (it has a petcock mechanism that permits you to open & close it to drain the oil).

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why don't you just use something called a Helicoil kit which comprises of

-Drill bit
      -Oversized Tap (for helicoil insert)
      -Helicoil inserts
      -Insert tool

You have to drill out the old thread with the drill provided, tap the hole, screw in the helicoil using correct tool.

Using this method it means you can still use the original sump bolt. Also once this method has been used it is almost impossible to strip the helicoil thread.

Hope this helps
      www.gran-torino.com
      www.nikkirous.com

Comment

I dont want to retap it or drill anything. I dont want to risk shavings in the pan. I'm sure there are already some in there. So for sure the pan is coming off.

Cyber, do they have a Fumoto Oil Drain valve that will fit my bike? How would I go about finding one. Would my dealer have one.

Comment

If the pan is coming off then why can't you drill it?
          www.gran-torino.com
          www.nikkirous.com

Comment

Originally posted by paulos
            If the pan is coming off then why can't you drill it?
            Good point. A helicoil kit should not cost too much money and the pan will be better than new because now you will have steel threads in place. You will not have problems with dis-similar metal corrosion and binding.

Personally I would replace the exhaust gaskets if they are not outrageously expensive. Why risk a leak to save a couple dollars.

Comment

why don't you just try a helicoil,might be cheaper and easyer.

Comment

I stripped the pan. Had to remove the exhaust completely to remove the pan. I used a helicoil set (with an intent to install a fumoto at some point; yes, CyberPoet, I haven't forgotten).
                I got a new pan gasket, and a new bolt (although the latter wasn't necessary).
                Regarding the helicoil, people say it comes loose with repeated oil changes as the bolt has to be removed and reinstalled.
                So far, so good. Pretty cheap fix unless the above happens. Easy way around that issue is to never change the oil again!

Damn pan seemed like it would never stop leaking, but the first ride took care of the leak! The gasket must have settled in nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by rmick15
                  Cyber, do they have a Fumoto Oil Drain valve that will fit my bike? How would I go about finding one. Would my dealer have one.
                  You can order them directly from
                  A mechanical problem while driving your car along the busy roads of the city? Fumoto Valve Auto Blog is an interactive online magazine that promotes safety measures through driver education about everything that involves auto handling and operation to ensure welfare from vehicular mishaps along our roads through due to mechanical and driver error. Designed to empower car drivers with troubleshooting skills, we have been dealing with this matter for a decade with profound commitment and unmatched expertise.

What you need to know for sure is exactly what size your OEM drain bolt is -- both in mm and in thread count (for example, the 98+ Kats use 14mm x 1.25, which is part number F111 for the fumoto valves, although their site says most Suzuki's use a 14x1.5 thread).

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X