X

So my girlfriend dropped her bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my girlfriend dropped her bike

My girlfriend was coming to a stop and her ninja 250 tipped over. She got it back up, and it started right up. She was able to ride it back home (right down the street) and turned it off. When she tried to start it back up, it wouldnt. Usually after letting it sit for an hour or so, it will start back up fine, but now its just clicks REALLY fast when trying to start it.

Its been about 10 hours, and the bike still makes the fast clicking noise when you try to turn it on like the ignitions not even sparking. Has this ever happened to anyone? You think it will be ok after it sits a LONG time?

So it's not even turning over ? Check the battery and see if it lost too much acid . Happens sometimes . If so , refill with distilled water and it'll be fine . What USUALLY makes the bike hard to start after a tip-over is the gas in the carbs dribbles into the cylinders , so the plugs get wet AND the carbs get dry .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That clicking noise is indeed indicative of a battery that doesn't have enough of a charge to actually turn the starter, but enough charge to key up the starter relay. Whether it's because the accident drained out some of the battery acid, cracked the battery casing, or knock loose some of the wiring is something I can't tell you -- but something you can figure out easily enough.

TIP:
      Wear plastic gloves when removing the battery. If the battery acid did spill, there may be enough left to really burn you. Spray out the fuse area directly over the battery with WD-40 and rinse out the battery tray with water, then coat with baking soda if you do find the battery cracked or low on electrolyte (then replace the battery).

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

thanks a bunch for the replies. Md86, seems like your always answering my questions! Good lookin out.

Comment

Other p[ossibility is that a carb float valve got stuck and you now have a hydro lock in one of the cylinders being full of fuel. You may want to pull the plugs before trying to turn it over and see if fuel shoots out when you do turn it over.
          Ron
          MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Ooh , good idea , Meany . Didn't think of that .

Comment

Tell her it will be okay, have sex with her, then dump her.
              TiM

Comment

Same thing happened to one of my friends I used to ride with. He dropped it,and after he got it home we couldnt get it to turn over. when he pulled off the side battery plastic, we noticed acid everywhere..so we replaced the battery and all was well..

Comment

+1 on clicking due to dead battery.
                  My ninja 250 had the same clicking noise, I just had to push start it to get it going again, then went to crappy tire and replaced the battery. The guy at the store said the electrolyte level was so far low that even adding distilled water wouldnt help.

Now if he lied to me, I'll go back and kick him in the nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax

You're almost Canadian Timmy......almost.

Comment

Originally posted by MIBagentQ
                      The guy at the store said the electrolyte level was so far low that even adding distilled water wouldnt help.

Now if he lied to me, I'll go back and kick him in the nuts.
                      Uh , I've ran my battery so low that I couldn't even SEE water in it any more . Not once , not twice , but SEVERAL times ( yeah , that was stupid , I know ) , and EVERY time I refilled it , the bike started right up . Battery will STILL turn over the bike , even though it's like 3 years old . I've replaced it last spring , but kept it because it WOULD still turn over the bike .

Comment

I dont know if you guys heard of this technique, but while i was at work she called me and said she got it to run but hooking jumper cables from a car to her bike. By NOT TURNING ON the car, but by just trying to start her bike, she was able to get it going again. The more you know!

Comment

Re: So my girlfriend dropped her bike

Originally posted by Madhazard
                          My girlfriend was coming to a stop and her ninja 250 tipped over. She got it back up, and it started right up. She was able to ride it back home (right down the street) and turned it off. When she tried to start it back up, it wouldnt. Usually after letting it sit for an hour or so, it will start back up fine, but now its just clicks REALLY fast when trying to start it.

Its been about 10 hours, and the bike still makes the fast clicking noise when you try to turn it on like the ignitions not even sparking. Has this ever happened to anyone? You think it will be ok after it sits a LONG time?
                          WOW! Thats breaking news. Thanks for filling us in. 8)

Comment

I'm not sure , but I think (hold on , doing a Google search ...) .......Yes , that WAS sarcasm !
                            Yeah , see , like we suspected , the battery is dead . So she jump-started it . Now take out the battery and LOOK at it and see if it has enough acid in it .

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                              Originally posted by sexwax

You're almost Canadian Timmy......almost.
                              You guys are corrupting, er I mean converting him in a Big way !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X