X

spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
    yes, literally pouring out. If it had have gone on too long, my rear tire would have been a slippery mess.

I am not sure the proper name for it, but i believe it was a vent tube the gas was pouring out of. it's a tube that connects with a "T" between carbs 1 and 2. I lost about 5 liters in a 20 minute span.

The bike is now back out to "thirstys" (he's a heavy drinker real name Steve) and hope to get it back really soon!

I forgot to mention what type of bikes i was sporting around on over the weekend. They were 250cc kawasaki maurauders! I loved the little things, they were comfy and very easy to maneuver.
    If it's from the vent tube, it could be either carb. Hope your guy knows what he's doing and fixes it right.

Comment

• Well, here's what i think happened.

when i went to pick up the bike, my buddy that had the truck was also bringing his bike out to have the fork seals or something changed. Steve initially wanted to take my bike for a drive after doing the work, making sure everything was good but we showed up early and he was unable to do a test run.

I think if he had have been able to do the test ride he would have picked up on the issues and had fixed them before i got the bike back. We determined yesterday on the side of the road it was coming from carb 1. we had the bike stripped down to the carbs and removed the vent line and watched the gas come spilling out of carb 1.

I am going to give him a second chance, i've been harped on pretty bad for giving him $300 dollars for the work he's done and ended up where i am at. I believe if he was given the proper time the first time everything would have been fine. If it comes back ****ed up again, well hopefully i don't just end up bending over.
      -Brandon

Comment

• Update!!!!!!!

Got the bike back at around 6 pm. I was skeptical. He cleaned the tank, free'd up whatever was sticking and said he took it for a good drive and had no problems. Well I got back about an hour ago with no issues! I drove over 70kms, trying to replicate the issues but the bike didn't miss a beat. He even fixed the hang on the dropping revs!

I am concerned about gas mileage. I filled it up, needle was hard on full. Drove 78.9kms and would say I'm at about 3/4. I figure the shape of the tank, makes the gas go quicker until you get to the middle where its nice and fat. Needle should probably hang out at 1/2 for a little while? At this rate I'm going to hit about 280kms when it goes dry. I guess I'll find out soon!
        -Brandon

Comment

• Can't guesstimate on gas. Fill er up, reset the trip meter, go have fun till you need more gas. Fill er back up, note the gallons/Liters and divide Kilometers traveled by fuel used.

Comment

I am concerned about gas mileage. I filled it up, needle was hard on full. Drove 78.9kms and would say I'm at about 3/4. I figure the shape of the tank, makes the gas go quicker until you get to the middle where its nice and fat. Needle should probably hang out at 1/2 for a little while? At this rate I'm going to hit about 280kms when it goes dry. I guess I'll find out soon!
            On mine I find that it stays reading absolutely FULL for about 40 miles. I believe this is because the float gauge can't float up any higher after a certain point, even if I can fit another gallon in the tank before it starts bubbling. The hinge that the float arm pivots around has reached the maximum it can go "up", much like a door hinge stopping the door even if the door hasn't touched the wall yet.

As for KPG/KPL/MPG, redkat is right. Fill 'er up, reset one of your trip meters and calculate it. Remember that the speedometer on your bike is probably off and unless you have a decent GPS or some way to track your actual speed the fuel efficiency will be off as well.

If I believed my odometer, today I would have gotten around 46 mpg. I was riding pretty hard with a much more experienced rider on a bigger bike and was staying up in the 6-8k range up and down mountains... seems a bit optimistic, doesn't it? I'm thinking more like 38-40 TOPS, and it was one of the most fun tanks of fuel I've ever burned.
            sigpic
            "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
            "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

• took it to work this morning! it was -3 degrees Celsius this morning! she fired right up, took a little longer for the rpms to come up but that is to be expected on this cold of a day!

nearly dropped it in the parking lot, not realizing how cold my knees were. Totally worth it though, the temps are climbing and now i get to drive it home from work!
              -Brandon

Comment

• 37mpg's is what she's getting. I'm still enjoying the throttle every now and then so im thinking once the joy of blasting the throttle wears off (will it?!) I should see closer to 40.

My tires are crap so some new ones down the road should add a bit of efficiency as well.

I've been filling it up just before the red on the gauge and it's only taking about 12 litres of fuel to fill it back up. So there should be 8 litres of fuel left when the needle hits the red, which should be roughly good for about another 100kms. I've also thought about sitting on the bike when filling, when its on the kickstand it probably leaves a couple litre void at the top of the tank that can't be filled unless it's sitting straight up and down? do you guys sit on the bike when filling?
                -Brandon

Comment

37mpg's is what she's getting. I'm still enjoying the throttle every now and then so im thinking once the joy of blasting the throttle wears off (will it?!) I should see closer to 40.

My tires are crap so some new ones down the road should add a bit of efficiency as well.

I've been filling it up just before the red on the gauge and it's only taking about 12 litres of fuel to fill it back up. So there should be 8 litres of fuel left when the needle hits the red, which should be roughly good for about another 100kms. I've also thought about sitting on the bike when filling, when its on the kickstand it probably leaves a couple litre void at the top of the tank that can't be filled unless it's sitting straight up and down? do you guys sit on the bike when filling?
                  Nope. Still pull down 50-55 MPG when commuting, and about 42-45 when joy riding.

Comment

• Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    Nope. Still pull down 50-55 MPG when commuting, and about 42-45 when joy riding.

interesting, what are some tips?
                    -Brandon

Comment

• Is yours a 750 or a 600? The 750's will get slightly worse gas mileage.

Comment

• it's the 600
                        -Brandon

Comment

• Hmmm....I run stock air filter, new fuel filter, Delkevic slip on, thoroughly cleaned carbs, A/F screws at 3 turns out, valve adjustment just done and then ride it like any other bike. I typically shift at 6-7K unless I'm hauling. Maybe it's the wax I use on my bike reducing drag

I also run Chevron 87 octane with a bit of Seafoam every 5th tank or so. Not much, just the prescribed amount. Chain has proper tension and is always lubed, basically every scheduled maintenance item is completed on time. That's about it!

Comment

• hmmm I appear to have a good majority of those except i can't tell you how far out the a/f screws are turned out. The bike is running, but maybe it's getting a little too much gas?

i noticed this morning i had the bike backed up about 4 feet from the wall (bare drywall) and as i left after letting it warm up in the garage there was black soot from the tail pipe on the wall. normal? or a sign of being a little rich? i know bikes smoke a little and probably mostly during warmup but just throwing it out there.

oh and my bike has 53,268kms on the clock as of today which is 33,000ish miles.
                            Last edited by badwithcomputer; 05-02-2012, 11:10 AM.
                            -Brandon

Comment

hmmm I appear to have a good majority of those except i can't tell you how far out the a/f screws are turned out. The bike is running, but maybe it's getting a little too much gas?

i noticed this morning i had the bike backed up about 4 feet from the wall (bare drywall) and as i left after letting it warm up in the garage there was black soot from the tail pipe on the wall. normal? or a sign of being a little rich? i know bikes smoke a little and probably mostly during warmup but just throwing it out there.

oh and my bike has 53,268kms on the clock as of today which is 33,000ish miles.
                              Black soot on the wall is not good, that's too rich. However, I doubt the A/F screws would cause it to run that rich. I would be looking at the float height and the float needles first to be sure they are sealing off properly. Next, I would look at your slide needs for wear, and then what size jets you have in it.

It also may be moisture in the exhaust grabbing soot on the way out the tail pipe and splattering on the wall. Still, might be worth a look at the carbs again. My opinion? Just ride it for a bit and see if the mileage changes at all.
                              Last edited by 05RedKat600; 05-02-2012, 11:20 AM.

Comment

• so many variables, i should just be happy that its better than the 12mpg i get in the jeep! im just going to drive it like you said and see if anything changes! **** it!
                                -Brandon

Comment

Working...
                                X