No announcement yet.
X

spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When installing the tank after the carb sync and all, did you put the petcock on prime for a little while. I remember when I replaced my tank a year ago, I didn't put it on prime. I took it for a ride and it was fine untill I got to work (maybe 2 miles down the road). As soon as I pulled into the yard it bogged down and died like it was out of fuel. The problem was air in the main fuel line. When on prime, the fuel is allowed to flow freely (which also allowed the air to leave the line).

When the bike wasn't being used, fuel would gather towards the bottom of the line and the air went to the top. When I went riding, the fuel would enter the engine at the normal rate but would then run out. The vaccume wasn't enough to start the fuel flowing from the tank and engines don't run on air.

Next tie you go for a ride and it starts to die like it's out of fuel (first make sure it has fuel) and (as your riding) flip the petcock position to Pri (towards you) and see if it helps.

Air in the line is a common mistake. Its one of those unforseen things that happen.
    I have embarked on the road of modding. Even if you BOLT ON new parts to a bike, there will be someone somewhere that has the same combination. With the Kat, you have a unique platform. Sure, some parts might be from other bikes, but no one will have the same combination. It will be truly yours and unique.
    -Unholy m-
    Current project: Un-Katchable
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rugidone View Post
      Not good! I finally came to my senses tonight and rode mine down to a local bike shop to get him to clean the carbs and give it a once over. Seemed to work pretty good on the trip down, but cyl 4 had a cold pipe after a 25 minute trip and a near mishap with a beaver!

We'll both be back on the roads soon man!
      Those damn beavers, if they aren't trying to kill you, they're trying to take your money! Only 12 days to go until I can drive on the road! so I better get her running!

Chris:
      Actually, I had a bit of a panic moment when i got the bike back. The fellow that was working on it, left it on prime and didn't tell me. I in-turn left it on prime and woke up to a little puddle of gas on the floor. I called my buddy and we determined none got into the crankcase and had it running fine after that. Once i can get it started again, I will try your prime trick! thank you!

05RedKAt:
      I gave the guy that was doing the tune up a brand new filter for the bike and he did install it, but the filter i bought was not OEM. it was clear and looked like the filter inside was simply paper, whereas the OEM looked like it had metal screens and magnets in it and was more of a white colour. - I may pull the tank and take a look at it, maybe it was faulty and is plugging up fuel delivery.

Scottynoface:
      I certainly wont discount your suggestion, but i can't understand how it can run so great the days even minutes leading up then die from dirty carbs. But, that's my inexperience for you!

I popped into the shop this morning to see if the battery finished charging and it had, I also noticed a strong gas smell. So I am also guessing she's probably flooded - which wouldn't help anything. When i get home from work, I will be going right out to try and find out the problem so any step by step troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated! and thank you all for the idea's already!

This is spot on:

-Brandon

Comment

LMFAO dude. I linked that to my girlfriend and she got a huge kick out of it.
        sigpic
        "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
        "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

Well i went out tonight with my friend as guidance on the phone and it fired up as per usual. I notice though with the choke wide open the rpms kept dropping until i gave it a few light revs then it was like something "caught" and the revs spiked and i had to turn the choke off. it continued to idle and spit a couple times I noticed also that when i would rev it would stick at around 2500rpms for a second or two and then drop. I let it run for another 5 or so minutes and gave it a couple revs and the idle seemed to smooth out. I adjusted the knob again and it seemed to sit pretty good.

here's a few vids:
          [ame="http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/elliottbran/?action=view&current=VID-20120417-00000.mp4"]VID-20120417-00000.mp4 video by elliottbran - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120417-00000.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120417-00000.mp4[/ame]

2nd vid:

[ame="http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/elliottbran/?action=view&current=VID-20120417-00001.mp4"]VID-20120417-00001.mp4 video by elliottbran - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120417-00001.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120417-00001.mp4[/ame]
          Last edited by badwithcomputer; 04-17-2012, 05:01 PM.
          -Brandon

Comment

bump for some expertise!
            -Brandon

Comment

You still have a couple of small issues...

1. Prime should never leak. So you have at least 1 float needle that isn't seating/sealing off at the right fuel level in the carbs. This is a problem.

2. Your running slightly lean, probably from the air/vacuum leak causing the rpms to "bounce" slightly at idle. Lean = slower to drop or hanging idle (over 1100 rpms)... rich = really fast drop to under idle rpms (under 1100 rpms) and come back up or die out.

Pull the carbs, find and fix the float needle issue. Do blow tests on the fuel lines with the carbs full to verify. (if you can move air with the bowls full... you have one leaking).

Then, put the carbs back on and track down the air/vacuum leak.

Then re-sync and tune the a/f screws.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My opinion, replace that fuel filter with an OEM one. Some of the aftermarkets don't flow enough fuel to keep the 4 carbs happy.

Comment

Gentlemen, Thank you.

I will try each and every one of those suggestions, starting with the fuel filter. It looked like at the time that the gas was coming out of carb #1 (clutch side) but then again the bike was on the side stand so it could have come from any of the 4.

It also would not surprise me to find out something wasn't connected snugly as the fellow i took the bike to has a tendency to get into the sauce. Which may be the cause of a vacuum leak.

Will investigate ASAP! only 11 days!
                  -Brandon

Comment

I took it for another short ride last night, this time - no farting around running the bike around in circles on idle. I hit the road did between 80 and 100km/h and the bike had no issues.

Not sure what to do at this point. leave "well enough" alone?

Another thing I noticed about the chain which I will post another video about tonight is my chain is making some weird noises only right after a ride. it will "pop" as it goes around the sprockets and you can visually see the chain bounce as it makes the noise. New chain needed? After it seems to cool down(?) the chain will operate as normal.

****in' bike gremlins.
                    -Brandon

Comment

• Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                      I took it for another short ride last night, this time - no farting around running the bike around in circles on idle. I hit the road did between 80 and 100km/h and the bike had no issues.

Not sure what to do at this point. leave "well enough" alone?

Another thing I noticed about the chain which I will post another video about tonight is my chain is making some weird noises only right after a ride. it will "pop" as it goes around the sprockets and you can visually see the chain bounce as it makes the noise. New chain needed? After it seems to cool down(?) the chain will operate as normal.

****in' bike gremlins.
                      You have a link binding up... so yes, replace before it breaks and makes you replace it and lots of other parts it takes out too.

As for the carb issues... I would suggest tracking them down and fixing them. The leaking float needles is a definate fix. The vacuum leak you might can deal with, but honestly... after fixing the needle it's really simple to track down vacuum leaks with a little starter fluid and a tad bit of time. Get those both fixed, and your gonna feel much better in the end about it knowing that it's right.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Thanks Krey, you're right i would feel a little less anxious about it after i tracked down those problems. Once i get a full day to just sit out there with it and tinker I'll take a crack at it.

vid for the chain noise... even though it's been diagnosed already

[ame="http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af54/elliottbran/?action=view&current=VID-20120419-00002.mp4"]VID-20120419-00002.mp4 video by elliottbran - Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.ph otobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120419-00002.mp4@@AMEPARAM@@file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid993.phot obucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf54%2Felliottbran%2FVID-20120419-00002.mp4[/ame]
                        -Brandon

Comment

• well i got myself a tank cover locally, which was awesome! but in putting it on i found something interesting..

The new fuel filter i put on before i took the bike to be cleaned and sync'd was missing. now there is simply a tube to connect the two hoses where the filter used to be... wtf?!
                          -Brandon

Comment

• Maybe whoever worked on it saw it was clogged and couldn't get the replacement in time, and then didn't have to balls to tell you.

$13 from my local shop, but I know you're in Canada so expect a steeper price. That does suck.
                            On the upside, giant chunks of crap won't get into your carbs anymore.

Added: Wish I saw early enough that you wanted a tank bra. I am ditching mine and probably would have sent it to you for just the cost of shipping. You seem like a good kid.
                            sigpic
                            "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
                            "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

• not sure what his logic was at the time. the filter i bought was around $4 but it wasn't OEM. it was clear and you could see the paper element inside. It hadn't had any gas ran through it before i gave it to him. I know the OEM one is more white with screens rather than paper. I am concerned that he would have tuned the bike to operate with no filter which may be giving me the issues i am having. But as Krey said it's running lean, so im pretty lost.

Thanks for the compliment and the offer!! haha

On my way to pick up new sprockets and chain! im knocking on wood this is the last thing i have to buy for this bike.

this time next week I'll be on the last day of my Motorcycle safety course!!
                              -Brandon

Comment

• Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
                                not sure what his logic was at the time. the filter i bought was around $4 but it wasn't OEM. it was clear and you could see the paper element inside. It hadn't had any gas ran through it before i gave it to him. I know the OEM one is more white with screens rather than paper. I am concerned that he would have tuned the bike to operate with no filter which may be giving me the issues i am having. But as Krey said it's running lean, so im pretty lost.

Thanks for the compliment and the offer!! haha

On my way to pick up new sprockets and chain! im knocking on wood this is the last thing i have to buy for this bike.

this time next week I'll be on the last day of my Motorcycle safety course!!
                                They did you a favor by removing that filter. It won't flow enough and would have caused issues for you. Use an OEM post fuel filter on a post kat... Pre bikes should not use filters, they just don't work so well.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                                X