X

spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
    so many variables, i should just be happy that its better than the 12mpg i get in the jeep! im just going to drive it like you said and see if anything changes! **** it!
    *shakes head* I completely agree...but I'm upset that you get 12mpg. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
      I'm still enjoying the throttle every now and then so im thinking once the joy of blasting the throttle wears off (will it?!)
      Never.

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
      do you guys sit on the bike when filling?
      Nope, but I let it bubble out at the top. Fuel gets about 1/4 of the way up the tube at the top of the tank.

Originally posted by rugidone View Post
      *shakes head* I completely agree...but I'm upset that you get 12mpg. lol
      12 mpg? WTH, is it an old Jeep with an AMC 360 or something?

On another note for saving fuel, check your tires for pressure weekly. Keep them at manufacturer's maximum PSI/kPa. This reduces your bike's footprint to reduce tire drag and keeps your tired more rigid to avoid loss of power in straight lines. This works for all vehicles and it really does make a difference.

I am mainly suffering in the mileage department now because of a vacuum leak. I believe it's on the vacuum sync ports on carbs 1 & 2 but I ordered the proper caps monday (at 2.70 a pop!) so hopefully that will fix it. If not I've gotta reset the carbs on the motor over and over and over until I get it. Didn't have a hanging idle before and those are the only two changes that could cause a vacuum leak (that I know of!).

On a side note I ride between 4-5k RPMs now when I'm taking it easy. I used to shift at 4500 and cruise at 3200 at lower than highway speeds. A lot of posts on this forum suggest that I may get better mileage at 5-6k when I'm higher in the power band, because the bike will be making more power per ounce of fuel used and in the long run I should get better gas mileage? I have not worked out the other issues in order to experiment with this over a few tanks of fuel though.
      sigpic
      "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
      "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Comment

• i guess when i think back over the last couple of days of riding, it's been literally 100's of km's of on the throttle off the throttle up to 10k back down to 4k just getting a feel for the way the bike is going to behave when i do get enough experience to crack it wide open. i've also been letting it warm up for about 10minutes in the morning. all that being said it's definitely running rich which doesn't help. This is shaping up to be a pretty good tank though.. we'll see.

The Jeep, it would be nice to have a 360 but its the 242 (4.0L inline 6) 35" tires 4" lift and big heavy bumpers and skid plates have an effect on gas mileage. It's been regeared to accomodate the larger tire size but it's just the nature of the beast. I have seen as high as 16mpg though, so it's capable of better.

In stock form the TJ (Wrangler) is only rated at 20mpg highway, so being able to squeek out 16mpg after adding all that extra weight is acceptable to me.

Rugidone:

How are you making out with your bike?
        -Brandon

Comment

• dropped the bike last night trying to back it into the garage. total newb move, I had one hand on the clutch side handle bar and one hand on the seat, wheel cut hard to make it around the jeep and it just slowly kept getting lower and lower and lower. Eventually it nearly ripped me in half and fell softly to the ground.

I am glad it happened in my own driveway, it was a good experience. Both hands on the bars, lean bike against upper thigh/hip AT ALL TIMES would have prevented this.

Bike is working well, aside from the 27mpg i just got in this tank. I may as well take my girlfriends honda civic with my buddies!
          -Brandon

Comment

• Sorry to hear about the drop, but at least it was at a very slow speed/stopped. Now that you've done it once you will probably be a little more comfortable with your bike. That's how I was.

Just remember, if you ever drop it again, don't freak out when it doesn't start! The carbs will most likely flood and they have to evaporate. Losing your cool after dropping your bike isn't the most pleasurable thing to witness. Trust me, I've seen it. And yes, I silently judged the guy.
            sigpic
            "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."

Comment

• Yeah, I am a pretty laid back person and don't freak out in anger very easily. I just get really embarrassed and red faced when something like that happens.

I started it right after i picked it up, was scared i had messed something up! all is well though, only a few small blemishes.

this thread is turning into an online diary about my bike haha Heading out soon to pick up a zero gravity tinted windscreen! will be nice to get that old yellowed clear one off of there.
              -Brandon

Comment

• If I remember right I used to get about 260 +/-kms on my 600 before I'd have to switch to reserve. I never bothered to work out the exact mileage.

Cruising down to the Rally a few years back all highway cruising I was over 310km to the tank when we stopped and got gas.
                Kyle

Comment

• well i am up to 200kms without having to hit reserve, yet. That included several WOT up to 10k rpms and spirited cornering. I am almost out of the red and on E though.

On another note, i checked the air pressure in my tires. The front was bang on at 33, the rear..... 25.5psi. I filled it up to 36.5 and it was like night and day! the bike felt a lot "flickier" hopefully scored me a few points in the mpg's market as well.

We've been so lucky with the weather the past 7 days, today was the first day i had to take the 'cage'. i've put over 600kms on the bike since getting my license 8 days ago. This is the only way i can describe it.....
                  -Brandon

Comment

• Aside from deformation of the tire and fuel economy, having that much pressure missing causes the tires to heat up faster as well. I doubt you were pushing super hard for long periods due to you just starting to ride, but heat can cause your tires to fail you when you are leaned into a corner and there aren't many options left in the recovery department.

On the track I've heard of newer riders feeling their tires slip and letting out MORE air to get a better contact patch, when really the tires were just too hot and they made the problem much worse much more quickly.

Just something to think about in the future. =)
                    sigpic

Comment

• i didn't mention this but on saturday i had a bit of a scare taking a corner on a bumpy road. I managed to smack a really bad pothole, i thought that was the end of me, I had a good lean on and then WHAM! I didn't panic, just rode it out. I didn't blow a tire but just tonight i noticed this.. how bad is this? the tire still holds air and doesn't feel out of balance or anything strange. can i just give it a few taps with a hammer and block of wood?

-Brandon

Comment

• If you hit hard enough to bend the rim, there is almost certainly damage to the tire cords that you can't see. Have the wheel professionally straightened or buy a new one. DO NOT bend it back yourself as they are aluminum and will probably crack. Don't ride on it anymore either, that's an accident waiting to happen.

Comment

• Well **** me! I can't get a break with this damn bike.

There goes my chain money.

What front wheels are interchangeable, just so I have a broader search because cycle salvages around here are not abundant.
                          Last edited by badwithcomputer; 05-07-2012, 06:41 PM.
                          -Brandon

Comment

• 98 to 02 are the same IIRC.

Sorry if I missed it but where are you located?
                            Kyle

Comment

• Originally posted by woobie View Post
                              98 to 02 are the same IIRC.

Sorry if I missed it but where are you located?

Comment

• Thanks for confirming guys, I am in nova Scotia about an hour from Halifax is the best way to describe it.

Anyone out there have a front rim kicking around?
                                -Brandon

Comment

Working...
                                X