No announcement yet.
X

spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

correction its actually 116 i tried to get a pic but its impossible!

also see this? i think it's from planet mars haha anyone reckognize these markings? looks like R (symbol) like a square inside of a square? then the number 5 0
    -Brandon

Comment

That's a Dynojet jet kit then. I don't know anything about them, so have nothing to offer other than that's what's in there. Not sure if those are correct or not.

Comment

Square in a square is the Mikuni OEM marking. It's an oem brand jet, and the size is 5.0.

Krey
        Last edited by Kreylyn; 03-22-2012, 05:02 PM.
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm a little confused, when you purchase a jet kit does it replace all of the jets and needles or on like the pilot jet and main jet? That one jet that's a 116 is throwing me off
          -Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
            I'm a little confused, when you purchase a jet kit does it replace all of the jets and needles or on like the pilot jet and main jet? That one jet that's a 116 is throwing me off

A factory pro jet kit wil provide you with needles that have adjustable eclip slots, and additional mikuni main jets. That's all that is needed for a jet kit generally.

Dynojunk will add in some other things like crap springs and "correctors" for some kits to make changes I would not recomend you get into unless you have a good a/f wide band ratio unit or dyno time.

I would stop worrying about what you have, and start thinking what do you want them to be. Then make that happen. POs (previous owners) do all kinds of crazy stupid.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Good advice krey, I want my bike to be reliable and smooth that is all. Can I run what I have for jetting with that rs-3 slip on and get the results I want?

I'm guessing the answer to my question is to bite the bullet and spend the money on a good kit like the ivans
              Last edited by badwithcomputer; 03-22-2012, 06:24 PM.
              -Brandon

Comment

Good advice krey, I want my bike to be reliable and smooth that is all. Can I run what I have for jetting with that rs-3 slip on and get the results I want?
                Then I would make sure the jet sizes are mikuni and match the OEM sizes you listed prior.

I would clean them well giving them a good soak. The green stuff btw is stabil after it's evaporated out and left the deposits from the combination of it/fuel behind. Seen it before, nasty stuff.

Stabil works great for keeping fuel from going bad, but it does NOT stop evaporation. Eventually it will dry out and leave crap behind.

Clean them, make sure OEM jets are in... put them on and sync them, and you should be good to go. It's obvious that any running issues you had before would definately have been contributed to by the poor condition of inside the carbs.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

I'm guessing the answer to my question is to bite the bullet and spend the money on a good kit like the ivans

If you havent noticed the factory pro kits are what is used more often than not, now I am not saying the Ivans is bad but I would stick with what others no the most about when you're doing things that you dont know alot about.
                  I know when if I decide to do a kit thats the one I am buying just so I can get the most help with it.

You can run stock jets with a slip on you just have to set the a/f at little richer from my understanding

Comment

I had no idea!! for some reason i had ivan's kit stuck in my head. I completely agree with going with something that's tried and true.

but i think i have decided i will clean the carbs and jets/needles as best i can and run what i have, worst case it runs slightly like garage, i still get to enjoy it while i wait for the jet kit to come in and i then i already know the process for the swap.

I feel comfortable now knowing i have a plan to follow.

Interesting info on the green junk! i had no idea it left a residue if sat for long periods. i guess it's a catch 22 type of thing.
                    -Brandon

Comment

I had no idea!! for some reason i had ivan's kit stuck in my head. I completely agree with going with something that's tried and true.

but i think i have decided i will clean the carbs and jets/needles as best i can and run what i have, worst case it runs slightly like garage, i still get to enjoy it while i wait for the jet kit to come in and i then i already know the process for the swap.

I feel comfortable now knowing i have a plan to follow.

Interesting info on the green junk! i had no idea it left a residue if sat for long periods. i guess it's a catch 22 type of thing.

You don't need a jetkit... be a waste of $ for you. At the worst, buy 4 new main jets.

Your CAN model kat has adjustable needles. With the exhaust your running, the OEM size jets are the right size.

So you would not gain anything from a kit. You already have adjustable needles.

krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

are the specifications somewhere that clearly say, if you have this (exhaust - stock, performance etc) the needle clip should be adjusted to this spot. or is it a trial and error type of thing?

I think i will consider 4 new main jets as i may have slightly buggered up the screw driver slot in one that i took out.
                        -Brandon

Comment

are the specifications somewhere that clearly say, if you have this (exhaust - stock, performance etc) the needle clip should be adjusted to this spot. or is it a trial and error type of thing?

I think i will consider 4 new main jets as i may have slightly buggered up the screw driver slot in one that i took out.

I would leave the elcips in the position you have them until after the cleaning and sync. Once the carbs are then back together and working, make adjustments if needed then.

The needle positions are for the 5-8K rpm range. If you find yourself lean/rich there... you adjust for that. If not, your set.

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

ok perfect. I should be able to get a good chunk of the cleaning done this weekend and hopefully have it back together for next weekend and it's official fire up! then i can begin the decision process of whether or not to buy the sync tool or pay a fellow to come out and do it.
                            -Brandon

Comment

well that was a bit of a stretch thinking i was going to get a lot done haha first question!

It says to remove the air/fuel mixture screws but i only see one on the carb i am working on. i put two and two together and figured the carbs 102 manual means all of them. correct? and is this the screw i remove per carb?

it also says to drill out a pin... is this the corresponding pin?

where i am at in the manual for reference..

thanks guys!
                              -Brandon

Comment

No, your caps have already been drilled off. Just remove that one screw, that's it. No more drilling needed!

Comment

Working...
                                X