X

Tire size?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size?

Just wondering how tire size helps in taking corners? Friend of mine who has crashed his bike ( 05 gixxer 1000) got a used honda cbr f4 2000. Went out riding and to my surprise, I could get the same lean angle if not more than his. He has a 180 me a 150 z6. Does a wider tire provide more grip or is it mostly looks to some point. By the way I was smoking him around corners.

i think its more a mental game at this point he just munched a bike and hopped back on another one. give him a lil time to get used to the bike and to get his nerves back and he should be able to lean a bit farther over then you a kat only has so much lean angle as do most bike a f4 has lil bit more lean then a kat. unless your buddys a straightaway king. and has no riding skill

Comment

a larger tire will give you a larger contact patch at all lean angles.

but it's more about the profile of the tire. a touring tire is very flat and you'll run to the edge very quickly, a good sporting tire may have a rounder profile & give you a very linear turn in, then a pointier track tire will put a lot of rubber on the road when leaned over but sacrifies must me made ! straight line stability may suffer.

so you should look at the size but more the type/profile of the tire.
      also what Sin stated: after a get off you need to work back to feeling comfortable.

tim

Comment

At maximum lean the amount of contact patch has more to do with tire design than it does with overall width. Acceleration out of the corner should go to the wider tire due to a larger contact patch when upright. IMHO

Comment

It's as much the type of tire as it is the width of the tire as it is the skill of the rider.

Different types of tires, sport touring vs track tires vs sport tires can all be the same width but feel, perform, and last much differently from each other.

Comment

You might want to read this sticky:
            Motorcycle Tire Fitment Guide & General Tire Information

Some of what you'll find there:

Now it would seem the latest rage is to shoe-horn the widest tire possible onto the bike, because this is what is happening on the R6/R1/GSXR600/GSXR1k/etc. The fact of the matter is that these bike's handling is designed around this fact (or in-spite of it, with extremely aggressive headstock angles to compensate). They would still handle better with narrower tires, but then the manufacturers would open themselves up to a ton of lawsuits from street riders who lost the rear end traction by getting on the gas while coming out of a corner. Thus, it's a trade off between sharper handling and the ability to sucessfully transmit power to the ground without loosing the traction in the rear excessively.

On a bike like the typical Kat 600 or 750, there simply isn't the horse power to overwhelm the stock tire size coming out of the corner with a good compound on there (this may change if you've modded heavily, changed gearing radically, or dropped in a bigger engine/etc).

When you look at race bikes, they use the narrowest tire they can readily get away with, because narrower tires handle better -- they weigh less (so they brake easier, accelerate faster and change direction quicker), and their arc shapes are sharper (making it easier to drop the bike into the turn).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              You might want to read this sticky:
              Motorcycle Tire Fitment Guide & General Tire Information

Some of what you'll find there:

Now it would seem the latest rage is to shoe-horn the widest tire possible onto the bike, because this is what is happening on the R6/R1/GSXR600/GSXR1k/etc. The fact of the matter is that these bike's handling is designed around this fact (or in-spite of it, with extremely aggressive headstock angles to compensate). They would still handle better with narrower tires, but then the manufacturers would open themselves up to a ton of lawsuits from street riders who lost the rear end traction by getting on the gas while coming out of a corner. Thus, it's a trade off between sharper handling and the ability to sucessfully transmit power to the ground without loosing the traction in the rear excessively.

On a bike like the typical Kat 600 or 750, there simply isn't the horse power to overwhelm the stock tire size coming out of the corner with a good compound on there (this may change if you've modded heavily, changed gearing radically, or dropped in a bigger engine/etc).

When you look at race bikes, they use the narrowest tire they can readily get away with, because narrower tires handle better -- they weigh less (so they brake easier, accelerate faster and change direction quicker), and their arc shapes are sharper (making it easier to drop the bike into the turn).Thanks for the info.....I'll pass it on

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Can't get this sticky. something about web sercurity alert.

Comment

Originally posted by gpggnnn
                  Can't get this sticky. something about web sercurity alert.
                  thread id = 5551
                  or just go to the top of the Rolling Stock section and look for it manually.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                  X