X

Riding the right lane of a big bridge = rider dead in NY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Riding the right lane of a big bridge = rider dead in NY

If you dont know NYC, the Williamsburg Bridge is a major full size bridge like the George Washingon or Golden Gate. I take the Tappen Zee Bridge often and always wind up in the right lane since its a 5 laner and all the cages gravitate to the left lanes and leave the right one open. But after seeing this story on the news I think I'll keep out of the right for a while (shudder). If you saw the pics of the bike on the news there was hardly any damage to it so it wasnt like a major impact, just enough to put him over the guard rail.

I understand your point, but I would not let this incident change your riding habits. If the rider was in the center lane and got ejected from the bike he would have just as much of a chance to be run over and killed by another car.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
      I understand your point, but I would not let this incident change your riding habits. If the rider was in the center lane and got ejected from the bike he would have just as much of a chance to be run over and killed by another car.
      I agree.

I'm a pretty good swimmer. Not so good at dodging traffic.

I'd take my chances with the water. If the fall didn't kill me first.

CANNONBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
        I agree.

I'm a pretty good swimmer. Not so good at dodging traffic.

I'd take my chances with the water. If the fall didn't kill me first.

CANNONBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL
        That works in theory, but it is like a 50 foot drop. That is going to hurt.

Comment

DUH... I'd be wearing full gear and a helmet.

Comment

Originally posted by Junior

But I'd be wearing full gear and a helmet.
            Should be fine Just make sure you drop something before you hit the water to break the surface tension. Oh wait, scratch that. You proved that wrong on mythbusters

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
              Just make sure you drop something before you hit the water to break the surface tension. Oh wait, scratch that. You proved that wrong on mythbusters
              See. I got this all figured out.

Comment

"after he hit a car". Is that accurate? Or did a car come over into his lane and hit him?
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                  "after he hit a car". Is that accurate? Or did a car come over into his lane and hit him?
                  Either one is possible. If I remember correctly that is a divided bridge so it was not an on coming car that hit him. He could could have been hit from behind or had a car drift inot his lane. I also would not be surpised to hear that he was flying then traffic suddenly came to a stop. I have seen people get caught off guard and run right into the next car.

Comment

I'd take my chances with the water too. Thats an awfull way to go. Rider gone but the bike stil ridable? Just does not seem fair. If I crash and die I want the bike to be totalled.
                    I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

Just another day commuting in NYC. Sheesh the stories I could tell.

Comment

Tell me a good story...
                        I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

Originally posted by brooder
                          Either one is possible. If I remember correctly that is a divided bridge so it was not an on coming car that hit him. He could could have been hit from behind or had a car drift inot his lane. I also would not be surpised to hear that he was flying then traffic suddenly came to a stop. I have seen people get caught off guard and run right into the next car.
                          Yes, it's a divided bridge as most (if not all) of the bridges in NYC are. I can't think of one bridge that doesn't have a divider off the top of my head. Anyway, the Williamsburg Bridge is generally in terrible repair so who knows what happened - it's worse than the Cross Bronx Expressway - and that's bad. The 59th Street Bridge has metal grating as much of the upper riding surface (there's an upper and lower level) so that's a total PITA to ride on. Throgs Neck and GW brigdes are generally OK, and the tunnels are the best when travelling on a bike (both Lincoln and Midtown). Haven't been on the Brooklyn Bridge in a while and was under much construction last time I was on it - may be OK now. Tappan Zee bridge is long, wide and WINDY - not a favorite.

Travelling around the NYC area generally sucks whether you're trying to get to NJ, CT or just around the city. Glad I don't live there anymore...

Feel sorry for the poor guy and his family. Hope they're getting along OK.
                          ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

A man riding his motorcycle across the Williamsburg Bridge was killed last night in a bizarre accident.

Police say 38-year old Leonard Beckett of St. Albans, Queens rear-ended a livery cab, was ejected from his bike, and hurled over a guard rail into the East River.
                            Beckett's body was later recovered from the water by police.

It's unknown if the crash or the fall caused his death.

No other injuries were reported. The Williamsburg Bridge connects Brooklyn and Manhattan.

What a terrible trajedy..RIP...

Unfortunately these types of scenarios (while maybe not this one specifically) but in general..happen every day all over the world. We ride, we know its risky, but we do all we can do to keep ourselves safe. Sometimes it just isnt enough...but we continue to do what we love everyday and we cant allow a particular happening or series of them to deter us. Atleast I cant. We take all the knowledge and experience we can and learn from it, and move on...

Comment

The Williamsburg is like 200 feet over the water. Theres no way to survive that trip. I'll take my chances with the traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X