X

Bridges

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridges

When I first got my bike, one of my biggest fears was having to go across the bridge to get off this island that I live on. In my truck I would get blown by the crosswinds so I could only imagine how it would be on a bike.

So, how do you deal with bridges? Do you have a strategy? Or are you like me and pray you don't blown off into the river.

But seriously, I can look out my window and see the bridge and the river. And if it looks like there's any sea state, I won't even attempt to cross the bridge. Of course, when there's no crosswinds the bridge isn't a problem.
    Attached Files
    Submariners do it deeper

lean into the wind a bit. Little unnerving at first but not a big deal when you get used to it.

The bike wants to stay up and go straight naturally. It doesn't want to go off line or fall over either. Assuming you share the same feelings as the bike, you should be able to overcome the crosswinds no problameo

Comment

that would be a cool experience riding across it, well that is if you aren't in fear of sudden danger or death, i enjoy riding over the new river gorge bridge here in wv. Is that bridge an open grating in the middle where it makes your car move in weird ways, i think there is a bridge near jacksonville, called the matthews bridge or seomthing that does that.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

that is a nice bridge. I would like to hit that at about 3am with no traffic (or wind). bet you could really wind it out.
        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

There was a really short bridge but tall in the middle in Pungo near Virginia Beach. I used to ride up it as fast as I dared (like 60 - 70) and get a bit of air going off the top. I wish I could find that picture ..
          TiM

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax
            There was a really short bridge but tall in the middle in Pungo near Virginia Beach. I used to ride up it as fast as I dared (like 60 - 70) and get a bit of air going off the top. I wish I could find that picture ..
            i think i may know the bridge you're talking about. we used to go 4x4ing out in pungo all the time when i was in the Navy. good times.

www.vwvortex.com
            I have nothing to say, I have no opinion. That's what I learned from 9 1/2 years of marriage.
            Thanks to all who are serving in our GREAT ARMED FORCES from an old Navy Squid

Comment

No issues, just ride it. If there is a barrier wall on the side of the lanes, remember that it will provide some sheilding even if it's on the leeward side.

The only thing that ever gave me serious problems is going over open-span grid-work during really windy days when the wind isn't blowing just sideways, but also up through the gridwork as well. Then again, feeling a '69 caddy being lifted and moved sideways a couple feet over that same type of gridwork span during bad weather left me rather shaken (fortunately that bridge is now demolished and has been replaced with the new Sunshine Skyway bridge, all concrete road-deck).

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

There are a couple of small grates at the top but nothing major. However I would still hate to go over them if they were somewhat wet. The bridge is maybe 2 1/2 miles end to end. I would really like to ride the chesapeake bay bridge in virginia beach. 23 miles long. Going through the tunnels should be awesome as well.
                Submariners do it deeper

Comment

Originally posted by My2K
                  There are a couple of small grates at the top but nothing major. However I would still hate to go over them if they were somewhat wet. The bridge is maybe 2 1/2 miles end to end. I would really like to ride the chesapeake bay bridge in virginia beach. 23 miles long. Going through the tunnels should be awesome as well.
                  Been over that in my car. Its a great bridge. Also check out the Chesapeake Bay Bridge across the Chesapeake Bay from Kent Island to Annapolis, MD. Also known as the William Preston Lane JR. Memorial Bridge. Its a Double Bridge, two side-by-side. 5 miles long and the largest suspension bridge in the US I think.
                  I wouldn't be so paranoid... if everyone wasn't out to get me.

Comment

if you really want to test your skills, there is this bridge not too far from me that is all metal...100%. no concrete or asphalt at all. the deck is made if that diamond pattern stuff....not solid...the ones with diamond shaped holes. I know this to be nasty stuff to tumble on cuz some friends and I were running across one silmilar (replace now) when we were kids and he took a tumble. it open his knee up bad enough to see bone.
                    anyway...this bridge I speak of....it is maybe 100-125ft long, and when it rains, crossing it will test any rider's skill. I crossed it once in the rain, and I tell ya, I think I would rather ride on ice. I did it one gear higher to eliminate any torque what-so-ever, and the bike drifted right across the other lane. it was bad enough that a cage coming the other way saw I was in a bad situation and stopped before coming onto the bridge.
                    I was on the same rode one other time whern it was raining, and I took a 10 mileish detour just to avoid it.
                    and that say alot cuz I usually aint scrared of nuttin' as far as driving conditions go.

Comment

speaking of bridges, I always wanted to ride this one on bike. It is just short of 8 miles long. I can imagine the wind whips around pretty good out in the middle. as you can see in the pics, they have "twisters" over the water that they call water spouts. there are all kinds of pics on this site:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Comment

Hold on tight Toto!
                        R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Holy cow. I'd be shi**ing bricks if I was crossing that bridge and then saw that water spout pop up next to me.
                          Submariners do it deeper

Comment

I don't even think about it when I ride... Wind will be just another thing you get used to and then start ignoring.

My current ride of choice

Comment

Those are some beautiful bridges.

Ride the bridge the same as you ride anything else, just take it slow and easy till you get used to it. yes the winds can blow you around but stay the course, relax, dont tense up, dont panic.

Ive rode this bridge many times, its alot longer than just in that pic.. and yes the winds to get alittle crazy, but its really not as bad as u might think.

Comment

Working...
                              X