Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

opinions on the Katana, time for some honesty.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess you just do not know how to ride!!!!! I have no problems on my kat at all!!! Maybe you should but a scooter!!! If you buy another bike and it is a gixer or even close I think you will be seriously hurt!!! You have shown on this site that you do not know what the hell you are doing!!! Hang it up!!! Or take the msf class!!!
    Lance
    2005 Kat 600

Comment

Practicing the same thing over and over doesn't mean shit if your doing it wrong to begin with. All it means is that you're becoming an expert a being shitty. Same goes for your riding experience. 10,000 miles and numerous crashes (due to rider error) in 6 months doesn't mean your an experienced rider. It just means you ride above and beyond your ability and have 10,000 miles under your belt in a short period of time. Understand what I'm saying? Experience is not only miles ridden. It's a combination of a lot of things. None of which you have. But somehow you have convinced yourself that you do.

Sell your Kat, hawk your watch, stereo, tv, whatever it takes, and buy a gsxr, cbr, r6/1. It seems to me that you have some kinda death wish when you go out riding. Buying one of the bikes I mentioned above would just shorten the waiting period.

Comment

nice response cancun black dog!!!!!! it really helped me!!!!!!

the katana is a crappy sport bike in comparison. im not going to respond anymore in this thread, its getting boring

Comment

Well, I'm sure CP will be able to keep us posted. Eventually the obituary will have you listed.

I don't think you've read anything in this topic. You say the Kat is a crappy sport bike. 30 posts have said it's a perfect bike for what it's built for.

But you want negatives? Fine. It's heavy. Freaking heavy. At 270 (me) I think it's heavy and it's tried to take my leg more than once in a slow turn. Aluminum would be a great upgrade for this bike. But it doesn't need to be fast. It's a Kat, not a Gixxer. But I digress. Negatives.

It's big. Wide for sure. Compared to a R6, it's like comparing me to my 100lb cousin. She moves faster than I do and can turn quicker. Oh...but that's been said. Boring.

Everyone has agreed so far that the Kat is no match for a Gixxer/R6/CBR in terms of power, weight, and straight-line running. But that's fine. The Kat does what *WE* want it to. That's provide hours upon hours of fun and then gives a little more during the drudge to work everyday. If you want another bike, then by all means, get one. You're an adult (I'm assuming). You can make your own decisions. But don't blame those decisions on a bike that does what it's meant to do. It's starting to get boring...not to mention a bit irritating.
          Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
          -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
          -Terence

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
            ... i spilled it 3 times due to my own fault.
            ...1 time going waaay too fast.
            ...1 time was due to going too fast...
            ...and the final time was because i freaked...
            Jason these are your own words.
            Give yourself time. You've proven you have the confidence. With time comes Experience.

I'd love to watch you rail that 6 like the Katman here.

Ride safely Jason
            "Speed Junkie Since 1975"

Comment

Originally posted by KatDan
              how many miles do you have under your belt? how many crashes have you had? as forgiving as the Kat is, you need more experience. you have only managed to find YOUR limits, not the bike's. sign up for MSF, or i think there is an advanced MSF course as well if you did the basic one already. do a track day with instructors to tell you what you do right and wrong. also, if you still have Macadam tires on your bike-GET THEM OFF!!!!! nothing will make that bike feel better than new rubber. Pilot Powers, Sportec M1-anything but crapadams. good luck!
              10,000+ miles in 6 months. i put less than 8 miles a day on my bike for work... the rest is nasty hard riding. ive taken the advanced msf course. i spilled it 3 times due to my own fault. 1 time going waaay too fast. 1 time was due to going too fast i guess, though i was doing two thirds the speed of my friend on his SS, and the final time was because i freaked and grabbed the brakes ( cause i thought a car was pulling out) in a turn. definitely have to admit that i screwed up good there. im running Pirelli Diablos, love em.
              Wow you have 6 months of riding experience...oh hell you should go down tomorrow and trade that Kat in on a Busa...

or...slow down...get more experience under your belt...listen to the wisdom of people like md86, and cyber...ride your Kat for another year, and then trade it in on something a little faster...

I hope your wearing good gear anyway and don't have any more accidents...believe it or not, everyone on here wishes you the best.
              Keep the rubber side down 8)

Comment

the katana is a crappy sport bike in comparison. im not going to respond anymore in this thread, its getting boring
                Honestly? If you ask for that kind of thing don't get all butt hurt when someone actually blasts you. He was being honest...if you ask for the truth then be ready to handle it...Now his response might be harsh, but with the "Internet" information you have provided here on KatRiders about your crashes how do you expect people to respond? Nobody on this board saw you crash. When have nothing...NOTHING to base an honest view or opinion on but what you post here most are going to see the cold hard facts and form views off of that. So his post didn't help you...I think we have all tried to help enough. It doesn't seem to be helping at all. Learning how to ride a Kat to YOUR skills can not be learned over the internet.

The katana is not a Sportbike. You can't compare it with a GSXR. Look I don't think you should respond anymore either...just sit back and listen...you asked for it.
                1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

I've been riding about 6 months on my kat, only 1200 miles though. Difference is I know MY limits, and have not even come CLOSE to the bike's limits. I have only scraped a peg feeler once and I was riding with a group of friends and had to do a rather quick manuever in a corner to miss some stones at the apex (moved out and had to lean in pretty good to avoid the oncoming truck, scraped the feeler for a couple seconds). Closest I've ever come to a 'whoops' so far. If I want to go super fast, I do it in the straights where I don't have as much to worry about.

IMO you learned nothing from the MSF class if you think you've reached the bike's limits already. I had a KICKASS instructor (guy has a stable of about 20 bikes including harleys, a few other cruisers from different makers, ducatis, suzukis, hondas, yahamas, etc. I was envious) and he had me scraping the pegs on the gx250 and pulling hairpin turns like they were nothing.
                  -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

you're right, this IS boring. i think we've all been talking to a brick wall here. 10K don't mean S*&T if you haven't learned how to ride yet! slow down-mentally-start over and work on tecnique rather than speed. body control, throttle control, brake control are what you need more experience with. read twist of the wrist 2- and read the chapter on survival reactions over and over until you get it. learn to ride and the speed will come naturally. at your current pace, you will be dead before you learn to ride correctly-especially on a liter bike.

Comment

Originally posted by BraadaJim
                      The Katana is what it is and it has been that for close to 20 years. From almost your first post here I said you bought the wrong bike and here we are again. Your trying to ride it like it's something it's not and because of that you are disappointed and blaming the bike. Truth is the bike does exactly what it was designed to do and does it well, and with a few of the right additions, very well.
                      You can say the Kat won't corner but there is proof all around to the contrary.....

Ultimately though nothing anyone here has to say is going to change your mind or opinion because in the end the Katana was never the type of bike you were really looking for.
                      I was thinking basically the same thing as I scrolled down this thread and wondering to myself why people wanna rag on a bike for doing something its not designed to IN THEIR OPINION. Proper research before buying a bike would have told you what the kat is designed for and capable of..regardless of how bad you wanted a bike, how much you to spend, or anything else..if one knows what they want in a bike, and knows what the bike they are looking at can do, then one has no reason to gripe about it, IMO. we all know the Kat can rail, alot of us have done, and most of us have seen it... but regardless of whether your on a 250 ninja or a ZX10 , you ride the bike and enjoy it and dont push your own limits or as in your case it spells disaster and hard feelings.

Just my .02

Comment

I believe you've let your "friends" convince you that you need a new bike. they all ride ss bikes and more than likely have more experience than you and thus smoke you every time you ride. you go beyond your limits trying to keep up and crash. so you've convinced yourself you need a better bike and you'll be able to ride right with em.

fact is you couldn't be more wrong. no matter what bike you get your friends will probably spank you until you get more experience (there it is again!) this is what EVERYONE is trying to tell you! but your mind is made up, and all our preaching won't convince you otherwise. I wish you the best, but fear the worst.

Comment

well what kind of responses did you expect man. You're thread was basically nothing but bashing the Kat. This is a Katana site full of people who enjoy and the love the kat. Riders will all types of skill levels. The kat is as capable as it needs to be, but outriding your own abilities isnt the bikes fault.

Comment

Originally posted by katana bob
                            I believe you've let your "friends" convince you that you need a new bike. they all ride ss bikes and more than likely have more experience than you and thus smoke you every time you ride. you go beyond your limits trying to keep up and crash. so you've convinced yourself you need a better bike and you'll be able to ride right with em.

fact is you couldn't be more wrong. no matter what bike you get your friends will probably spank you until you get more experience (there it is again!) this is what EVERYONE is trying to tell you! but your mind is made up, and all our preaching won't convince you otherwise. I wish you the best, but fear the worst.
                            dont listen to these guys they dont know anything, you keep wrecking because the kat just cant handle your superior riding skills. its very obvious you need an SS bike to keep up with your abilities already, your like neo or something!!

/sarcasm

but really i think katana bob has it right, sounds like your friends all are gunning at you to get a bigger bike. you need to learn your limits and the bikes limits. if you keep insisting your crashing because the bike cant keep up then you dont know the bikes limits. what happens when you dont know the limits of a bike with twice the power of the kat? if i thought youd actually listen id tell you go to buy a ninja250 and learn to ride the wheels off it without crashing, then go back to the kat after a year. then see how well the kat feels to you.
                            03 katanika

Comment

Originally posted by lance
                              The katana is so ridicously under estimated it is not even funny...good at everything not great at anything...

you need to work on your riding before you start blaming the bike...i highly doubt you are riding the kat to anywhere near 100% of its potential...
                              Theres a saying... learn to crawl before you walk, or learn to walk before you run.....
                              Shiny side up !!!

Comment

Hey Jason - ya know I've always wished ya well after your self posts of your little incidents. Like many here, we wanna wish you the best, because we support our fellow riders, but honestly I would assume (and I know assumptions are bad) that 95% of us are thinking your going down a very very bad road w/ your riding style....

I completely agree w/ what Dan said, it's not the number of mileage that matters, its the QUALITY of the miles that makes experience. I've done 12,000 miles in 7 months, ZERO (knock on wood) "incidents", yet you don't hear me saying I'm the man or STUD! There's always room for learning and humility. I still remember when I had to convince my wife to let me get the bike (due to her fear of me riding a motorcycle).... I told her that the #1 think to keep me in check is I have respect for the bike and what it can do if I ride rode it w/ a lack of respect or w/ cockiness.

My fear for you my friend, is that you have lost this respect! True, you may think your skillz are past this bike, but again like Braada Jim said, this is the wrong bike for to start with. Wheelies and constant knee draggin isn't the purpose of this bike, but yes it can be done w/ proper skillz.

Where I see you problem lies is that you've convinced yourself that you have pushed the bike to it's limits and want a SS to truly carry out the moves you want to do to keep up w/ your homies. Problem is, I don't think your skillz are there (yet), and your misplaced blame on the Katana will give you a false sense of confidence and a lack of respect for the SS you will get, which in turn, will lead to VERY, VERY BAD THINGS! I pray that you don't lose that respect for the bike if you do upgrade and ease into it! I know I've rambled but like you said, I wanted to hopefully give you some insight to get something positive out of it.

You will get flamed for doggin the Katana here, but no-one wishes you to get hurt!
                                Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Working...
                                X