No announcement yet.
X

94 Katana 600 project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

didn't go as well as I hoped, apparently it has a 2nd gear issue. that did put a damper on my ride around the block a little, but I did put a couple of miles on it. ran very good except for the 2nd gear problem.

so decision time.....
    Fix it ....
    sell it ....
    part it out ....

thoughts?
    Steve
    94 Katana 600

Comment

What's it doing? Popping out of gear?
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

yes, pops out of 2nd gear under throttle and into Neutral. can go from 1st to 3rd and it did fine. I took it all the way up to 5th gear with no worries, but that was flying in a 25 mph zone.
        Steve
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Fix it. You seem good with a wrench, or your clutch replacement wouldn't have gone well.

2nd gear popping out is means the shift fork is bent. If it does it enough, the gear gets proper fucked. While I don't believe they are super detailed, there are several threads here talking about how to replace the shift fork for 2nd gear. Give 'em a read at the least and go through the manual then decide what you want to do.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Shift forks are easy to change. It's all the work to get to them that's a bitch.

Comment

thanks for the input guys,

surfing around on splitting the cases/shift forks/2nd gear, doesn't seem to be too bad. general consensus like muffinman states, just getting the motor out and tore down is the toughest part.

going to pull some prices together on parts and plan for a winter project. several others needing attention right now, this one will have to go to the back burner.
              Steve
              94 Katana 600

Comment

It's more than likely more than just the shift forks. The dogs on the actual gear are probably rounded off. That being the case, you would need to seperate the gears from the counter shaft and replace the number 2 gear. Or the whole tranny. Be wary of used Transmissions and or gears, chances are they are worn or rounded off also. If you REALLY wanna do it justice, get the gears undercut from a machine shop and reassemble it with a shift kit. Good, undercut gears, and a shift kit will indefinitely solve your transmission woes for the life of the bike.
                My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

You can ride around just shifting straight from 1 to 3 until you get to it.
                  Something to think about while you're in there is getting 2nd gear undercut. Yes, adds $$, but your 2nd has already taken some abuse.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

with the low number of miles I think I would replace anything with new parts just to rule that out, don't want to have to do this more than once if I can help it.

is there a particular angle that they need to be undercut? I might have an angle bit for the mill and take care of that myself.
                    Steve
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                    X