X

Heavy Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy Kat

what makes the kat so heavy? i'd like to lighten it up a little, but i can't figure out where the weight is.

Steel frame, is a lot of the weight and small things like the center stand.. Just my 2 cents..
    2001 Kawasaki zx1100

2000 Kat 750, in 600 Yellow. (GONE but not forgotten)

Bike pics link: http://s422.photobucket.com/albums/pp310/smitty600/

Comment

4cly moter, steal frame, cast rims, many other steel not aluminum parts just to name a few.
      1990 750 katana
      2002 Honda rebel
      1995 Jeep YJ
      2003 Saturn Ion

Comment

there are ways to reduce the weight of the bike like remove the center stand (10-15 lbs) replace stock exhaust (5-10 lbs) just to name a few
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

There is no way that the center stand removal will free up 10 -15 lbs. Maybe 3-4 lbs. tops.

Comment

Centerstand is 7-8 lbs including the springs & bolt(s).

The stock muffler is a bear compared to aftermarket ones because of it's construction -- all thick-gauge steel with baffles. But unlike aftermarket cans, you'll never need to repack the Kat's OEM muffler.

The Kat is heavy for a number of reasons.

The steel perimeter frame everyone mentioned is one of them (modern sports bikes have a short over-engine aluminum frame; the Kat has both over- and under-engine steel tube frames).

Fuel capacity also factors in (5.1 gallons compared to many bike's 4 gallon tanks).

Large plastics covering everything have weight, and the plastics are thicker than those on modern race-rep bikes.

Dual headlights and a support cage for them.

But the primary reason the Kat is heavier, more than any other that I've found, is it's wheelbase. As the wheelbase gets shorter, the total amount of bike there is gets smaller. Long wheelbase bikes have higher weights. Simple concept. The Kat is something like a foot longer than a GSXR or R6/R1.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

MINE:
              center stand removed
              plastics removed
              exhaust (not stock and shortened)
              two foglights for a front end
              no tail section....

SO what i gotta be down to like 500 pounds right !!! LOL.
              THE EMAIL BANDIT
              F4 I stunted out
              Cbr900 (low and stretched)
              MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

How about this, how much do you weigh? I could take 50lbs. off my bike if I just lost some weight.
                My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                Other bikes:
                2 1985 CR500
                1 1987 CR500
                1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

ouch... is that a shot at my weight.... hahahah, naa your right thats what i always used to say to these kids that rolled around in turbo'd honda civics, but they weighed like 350 pounds....

Yeah im 190-200 depending on the week, guess i just wanted to drop as much weight of the kat as possible to compensate for my mass....
                  THE EMAIL BANDIT
                  F4 I stunted out
                  Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                  MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I weigh 115, even with my kat there were some friends of mine with SS bikes that were only a few pounds lighter than me after rider weight was factored in...
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

In truth, I don't think our engines are quite the featherweights of the sportbike world, either.
                        If you look at an 89 GSXR750 (same engine, but more sport) It still weighed almost 430 lbs
                        In comparison, an 89 Katana 750 weighed about 460 lbs.
                        And having lugged around a few oil cooled suzuki motors, I can tell you they are kinda porky.
                        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I like the ride quality of the Kat because it has a few extra pounds. It feels more comfortable to me than the SS bikes, not the seat, but the ride that you get from the suspension actually working.
                          sigpic'06 750Kat, SCORPIO alarm, integrated turn sigs into smoked LED tail light, gun metal frt turn sigs & windshield, shovel MIA, AMSOIL throughout, TARGA tank cover, PIIA 130Db Sport Horns. 16-45 sprocket set-up

Comment

Originally posted by FastJetta97 View Post
                            ouch... is that a shot at my weight.... hahahah, naa your right thats what i always used to say to these kids that rolled around in turbo'd honda civics, but they weighed like 350 pounds....

Yeah im 190-200 depending on the week, guess i just wanted to drop as much weight of the kat as possible to compensate for my mass....
                            Yea no shot at your weight. I'm a mod on a CR500 board and we get guys on there that want to make more HP or shave weight from the bike. First thing we ask is how much do you weigh.
                            My carbon foot print is bigger than yours.

1988 GSX1100F with 93 plastic, Avon AV45 front & AV36 rear rubber and a SS2R full exhaust system.
                            Other bikes:
                            2 1985 CR500
                            1 1987 CR500
                            1 2003 CR85 Supermoto

Comment

I'm a whole 5'5 and 165, not fat but gots somewhat of a belly. I enjoy the weight of the Kat because i dont get moved all the way across a lane when a van goes by on the 2-lane. The windblast of getting past a semi or other large vehicle doesnt move her hardly at all. Rock solid, with no nasty wind suprises. Even the mass of bodywork cuts thru the slipstreams really well, without being a barn. I wont be lookin to take any weight away from the Kat anytime soon.
                              99% of the questions asked here can be answered by a 2 minute search in the service manual. Get a service manual, USE IT.
                              1990 Suzuki GSX750F Katana
                              '53 Ford F250 pickumuptruck
                              Lookin for a new Enduro project

Comment

Working...
                              X