X
X

CyberPoet's Tips for the Road

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cyber Poet is not human. Up until now I have not been able to determine if it is AI or an alien life form that has been studying earth for 1000 years. I met someone that posed as CP, but I'm still not convinced.

www.SOARacing.ca

Comment

Wonderful writeup CP! Especially liked the trick of how you update your wardrobe with the latest European trends.

Do have a couple of thoughts I'd like to offer up for what they're worth. Can't help myself, the "be prepared" part of my scouting life is coming out:

1. *Basic* First Aid Knowledge! -
      Red Cross has an excellent first aid course that takes about 8 hours on a weekend. You end up with close to first responder level training, and a ultra compact first aid kit (smaller than a credit card in size and not more than 1/2 in. thick) that fits on your key chain. Anyone reading this that doesn't know how to stop serious bleeding and treat for shock should seriously consider it.

Trick here is not only knowing enough but to also know yourself enough to recognize symptoms for what they are should you have to diagnose yourself. It's a lot harder than it sounds.
      • Dehydration symptoms for example can be tricky.
        • My wife ended up with 5 EKG reads, 4 liters of saline IV, a night in the hospital, and (thank God for the insurance we have) a $10,000 bill one night. She was breast feeding the youngin', chasing the other toddler through the day, drinking too much coffee, drinking too little water, and didn't mention that she was feeling exausted for 3 days prior to going down. Just FYI, if you go to bed, get around 6 hours or more of sleep in a night, and still wake up feeling unrested... start pushing the water. Odds are you're not tired, you're dehydrated!
      • Just as dehydration can be hard to spot, the same goes with hypothermia symptoms, or if riding in high country, hypoxia (altitude sickness) which is a bear to self determine and severely effects not only judgment due to the feeling of euphoria but also balance.
      Yes, the example I provided is something of an extreme case but I've also had to help convince several folks over the years that they were in various states of serious trouble and it ain't easy. Often times they'll get downright belligerent about how they're fine and don't need help. Even seen this kind of reaction as a guy was sitting on the side of his truck that he had just rolled, mind you, he was bleeding on the driver side door which was now the top of the truck and couldn't stand up, but claimed to be just fine. Let's just say they Paramedics didn't agree with his assessment.

Realizing you're in trouble and not knowing what to do is bad enough. Not knowing what to do for a fellow rider or other citizen that is in trouble feels just as bad. I know, even with my training I've been in both positions.

2. Space blanket is ultra thin, light weight, and excellent at combating early stages of hypothermia. Granted a hotel room and hot shower work to but you may be a ways away from that when symptoms set in. Your generally better off to stop where you can get basic shelter, get help rolling to you, and cover up. Again, the trick here is knowing enough and knowing yourself enough to recognize those symptoms for what they are.

3. Really surprised not to see at least a basic first aid kit in the list. Few bandages can go a long way especially if camping while stopped. Heck, you throw in some flat wrapped duct tape you can now buy and then the shop towels you're already packing could be used for wound dressings in a pinch.

3. Thought on carrying a drink... If you're going to pack something, make it water not coke. Carry some gatorade in powered form if you want the choice of not drinking straight water, but if your waiting on the tow truck in the heat, you don't want the caffeine load to add to the dehydration which coke will do to ya. A protein bar in a jacket pocket will also help with this situation or with balancing out the blood sugar levels that that Cyber spoke to.

4. GPS - Most don't think of it, but this can be a life saver. You (or another rider) gets into trouble and need a hospital for whatever reason, see points about dehydration as example, you have the option to dial up "hospital" on the GPS and ride direct to it complete with directions. Even basic models on the market these days contain a massive database of emergency services across the US. (Garmin is based in KC and I go to church with a lot of the engineers.)

-----------
      Pretty minor points compared to everything CP offered, but I tend to focus pretty heavy on the medical emergency aspects when traveling distances. You should see what goes into the emergency pack when I'm carting the family (with toddlers) in the van and have actual room!

Comment

Originally posted by chinto View Post
        The Cyber Poet is not human. Up until now I have not been able to determine if it is AI or an alien life form that has been studying earth for 1000 years. I met someone that posed as CP, but I'm still not convinced.

sigpic

Comment

tdr, you forgot to put a grill-spatula in HAL's hand...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 09-12-2008, 05:57 PM.
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

outstanding job Cyberpoet, one thing you might want to add to the list is a water filter/purifier! You get these at www.campmor.com the MSR miniworks EX water filter is excellent and the Katadyn pocket filter runs 199.99. Both give long filter life and clean out the bugs and chlorine in any emergengy survival situation Dont get caught short you can only live 3 days with out water you all have a great riding season and take care of your equipment and it will take care of you!

Comment

All good suggestions, but I have a few items to add as well. As mentioned a good first aid kit is a must. I have friend that is a doctor and she has had me add the following to my first aid kit. Now when reading this don't take offense or freak out read what they are used for:

Note - most of us men pale when thinking about having these with us but after she explained what they are used for other than the obvious I added these to my first aid kits for the bike, disaster relief work and for hunting.

Item 1 - Supersize maxie pad. These are designed to soak up blood and are sterile. These can be used to place over large cuts and road rash taped or bandaged in place until you can get medical help.

Item 2 - Child through super size tampons. Again these are sterile and are used to plug puncture wounds if you go down. Some Marines are using these in Iraq to treat gun shots wounds until they can get the troop to a doc. These have saved lives.

Note these items have also been used to help a female rider in times of need.

Items 3 - Tylenol and Bayer aspirn. The Tylenol for aches and pains. The asprin in case someone has a heart attack as this actually has been proven to help.

Items 4 & 5 - Tire plug kit and tire pump. These can save you from being stranded and can get you to the next dealership to get your tire replaced.
              If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

One more thing to add. A roll of toilet paper
                If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 40something View Post
                  One more thing to add. A roll of toilet paper
                  Actually, my under-seat kit thread (separate thread) talks about having wet-wipes or equivalent for that and other purposes...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    Actually, my under-seat kit thread (separate thread) talks about having wet-wipes or equivalent for that and other purposes...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Which came in handy for several ladies in our group at the gap last year when they discovered that the toilets on the skyway didn't have any paper... and scottie pulled a pack of wet wipes out of his tank bag saying "Cyber told me to bring these, I guess this is why"
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                      Which came in handy for several ladies in our group at the gap last year when they discovered that the toilets on the skyway didn't have any paper... and scottie pulled a pack of wet wipes out of his tank bag saying "Cyber told me to bring these, I guess this is why"
                      Actually, I bought them in Teleco Plains and handed them to Rodimus when I figured out that particular package wouldn't fit under my seat because of the tools & various other as-sundry. Glad we had 'em when Kristin needed 'em

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thank you Cyberpoet. I read every word; makes me want to get back out on the road again, and it's nearly time for it. Thanks again.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                          Actually, I bought them in Teleco Plains and handed them to Rodimus when I figured out that particular package wouldn't fit under my seat because of the tools & various other as-sundry. Glad we had 'em when Kristin needed 'em

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet

She wasn't the only one... and that included several random people we met on site. He probably could have sold them for $5 each.
                          -Steve

sigpic
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

great knowledge!

Comment

Man I wanna meet CP....Your not far from me....I live in Tallahassee....we should ride sometime....although you must forgive I sold the katana lol

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                                Man I wanna meet CP....Your not far from me....I live in Tallahassee....we should ride sometime....although you must forgive I sold the katana lol
                                Going to BikeWeek?
                                Check this: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=77868

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 09-12-2008, 05:58 PM.
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X