X

Swapping skins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swapping skins

Would the plastics from a 98+ Kat fit on a -97? They look similar (except for the rear pieces), as well as the gas tank, but i figured some of the mounting points may be different. Also, the headlight would have to be switched out. Has anyone tried this?

Pre98 and 98+ frames are different so it cannot be done as a simple swap.

Look at my Ride Profile. My bike is in the process of getting updated bodywork put on it. Lots of plastic welding and shaping involved.....
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Looks good. I was considering trying to shape around the original headlight, too. I'm pretty good with fiberglass and paint, but I didn't know if a project like this would even be worth the work. If you have any info on what all you had to do for the plastics to fit I'd appreciate it.
      Is the gas tank similar?

Comment

I didn't even try to swap tanks. I don't think it will line up properly though.
        The plastics are a total cut and weld job. I did mine by mounting a pre98 fairing on the bike and then setting a 98+ on top of it to see where the lines were similar and where they changed. Then I just started cutting and plastic welding them into place. More or less I cut out a giant upside down "U" out of the fairings and then welded in the new stuff.
        I've got too many hours in it to keep track of now but it is something that is definetly a labor of love. I never expect to get the time or money back out of it, It's for me.
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Yes it is Jim. Better know as the TIME MACHINE.
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
          X