Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you can put them in a 88 to

Comment

• larger motor for a '91 Kat 600

I'm new to this forum, and I posted some of these questions elsewhere BEFORE I read this awesome thread. There's a lot of information in this thread, and I hope that I understood and retained most of it. I'll be sure to reread it later.

I need another motor for my '91 Katana 600. The carbs on the original motor need reworked, and there is a slight leak from a dented oil pan that was caused by someone else dropping my bike. I also need new pipes since the old ones are getting rusty. The bike needs other minor work as well. According to a mechanic at the dealership, since the current motor is in such bad shape, it'll cost too much and be too labor intensive to work on the motor that's in the bike now.

1. What are the pros and cons of installing a GSXR 1100 or other non-Katana 600 motor in my Katana?

2. A person at the dealership said that the frame/suspension might not be able to handle the larger engine. How true is this?

3. Which larger motor would be the EASIEST to install with the least amount of mods to the motor and the rest of the bike?

4. Which motor would give me the best increase in performance? I'm assessing either the GSXR1100 or the Bandit motor would, but I'm not certain which.

Does anyone know the rules for Dinosaur Class racing? My bike will be eligible for this class in 2007 or 2008.

5. Would installing a larger engine make it ineligible for Dinosaur Class?

6. Is it even worth racing an old Katana in this class?

7. Is it true that it's hard to get racing slicks for a Kat?

8. Asides from the motor and a 750 swingarm, what other parts do I need?

9. Obviously, the lower the better, but how many miles MAX should a replacement motor have for me to consider buying it?

Frank
      [EDIT: email address deleted]
      "Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is not safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
      ~ Helen Keller, The Open Door (1927)
      '91 600 purchased in January 2000 with 7,707 miles

Comment

• Re: larger motor for a '91 Kat 600

Here's what I can offer you....I'm sure Cyberpoet will be along eventually...and some of the other guys who have fabricated on early models will know more about swaps and that kind of thing. :P
        1. What are the pros and cons of installing a GSXR 1100 or other non-Katana 600 motor in my Katana?
        Go back and read through this thread again...I'm pretty sure there's a list of what motors will bolt in to the pre-'98's, and which ones fit the '98+ models. I'm pretty sure that all the swaps will require SOME fabrication, unless you're simply replacing the motor with the identical thing...Of course, the pros are that it gives your bike a rejuvenated feel, and can provide good fun for an extended period of time...The downside COULD be that you get screwed if you crash - having not told the insurance company that your vehicle contained a motor other than the original...Or they could just refuse to insure it because of that, should you decide to tell them! I can't really recommend giving insurance people any surprises when they're about to shell out for a wrecked bike. Chances are, they'd rather keep your money.
        2. A person at the dealership said that the frame/suspension might not be able to handle the larger engine. How true is this?
        Don't know...but I'm pretty sure that depends a LOT on what your bike has been through so far!
        4. Which motor would give me the best increase in performance? I'm assessing either the GSXR1100 or the Bandit motor would, but I'm not certain which.
        The 1127 would probably be the top pick for your model of bike...I havn't heard much about dropping the B-12 into pre-98 Kats....
        Sure, why not?!
        Depends on the year/model...if you have a 4.5" rear rim, then you can run one of the MANY 160/60 race tires that are available...SV650's use a 160/60 on a 4.5" rim, and LOTS of guys race 'em....Hell, even the new Pilot Power race tires are available in 160! However, I believe the older Kats had a 4" rim, so you're probably going to be limited as far as actual "race" tires go - not that the Kat needs 'em....it doesn't make enough power in stock form to warranty that kind or price of rubber.
        FrankenKat 1216
        GS Fiter 816
        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrNewYork

pro much better performance, con more fuel/mile

I say true, some others will tell you untrue

3. Which larger motor would be the EASIEST to install with the least amount of mods to the motor and the rest of the bike?
          750 Katana engine

Stock Gixxer more power less torque, stock B1200 less power more torque, I went for the B1200 engine (and tuned it: 126rwHp, 127Nm )

carbs, full exhaustsys, cdi, coils and harness and in case off the newer B1200 engine you"ll need a new ignitionlock. (builtin resistor)
          9. Obviously, the lower the better, but how many miles MAX should a replacement motor have for me to consider buying it?
          Depends on budget, maintenance-history known/unknown and the way the former owner used/abused the engine...
          Allways test and inspect before you buy!

Comment

Originally posted by ZephyrNewYork
            I'm new to this forum, and I posted some of these questions elsewhere BEFORE I read this awesome thread. There's a lot of information in this thread, and I hope that I understood and retained most of it. I'll be sure to reread it later.

I need another motor for my '91 Katana 600. The carbs on the original motor need reworked, and there is a slight leak from a dented oil pan that was caused by someone else dropping my bike. I also need new pipes since the old ones are getting rusty. The bike needs other minor work as well. According to a mechanic at the dealership, since the current motor is in such bad shape, it'll cost too much and be too labor intensive to work on the motor that's in the bike now.

Does anyone know the rules for Dinosaur Class racing? My bike will be eligible for this class in 2007 or 2008.

5. Would installing a larger engine make it ineligible for Dinosaur Class?

Frank
            [email protected]
            Engines all depend on what you want, and how much money you have or can spend.
            I agree with the above 2:
            Easiest swap is a early 750 kat. Hardest is the B12, but its just about the same as the easiest one!
            Most HP is the 1990 GSXR 1127
            Most torque............1999 B12

the rest is pretty musch covered by the above 2............
            I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
            Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
            Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

• For those of you looking for an 1100 engine, consider this whole bike found on eBay recently:

If it stays under $1,000, could be a good deal to pick up the engine & then sell what's left for $500!

Comment

• Way to drive the price up there , Keith . Oh well , can't really afford to collect too many parts for my bike right now anyway .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• With regards to swapping an Air/Oil cooled 750 GSXR or GSXF engine into a '90 600 Kat, would one be able to use the stock 600 swingarm and wheel/sprocket?

I think I found the engine for me:
                  1988 GSXR 750 Slingshot (the 73x44.7 stroke/bore vs the standard 70x48.7)
                  Full Yoshimura Exhaust
                  36mm Carbs w/ Stage 3 jet kit
                  CDI
                  Engine has 14,000 km or so on it.

Good price too - under $1000 CAD for all of it.

-Grimmy
                  Race Superseries Novice Open, Amateur Superbike #224 Suzuki GSXR-1000

Comment

• Don't see why you couldn't use the swingarm and wheel .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

• yes you can use the same swingarm and everthing

Comment

• Originally posted by Grimmy
                        With regards to swapping an Air/Oil cooled 750 GSXR or GSXF engine into a '90 600 Kat, would one be able to use the stock 600 swingarm and wheel/sprocket?

I think I found the engine for me:
                        1988 GSXR 750 Slingshot (the 73x44.7 stroke/bore vs the standard 70x48.7)
                        Full Yoshimura Exhaust
                        36mm Carbs w/ Stage 3 jet kit
                        CDI
                        Engine has 14,000 km or so on it.

Good price too - under $1000 CAD for all of it.

-Grimmy

SURE! Fits right in, and swing arm set-up you have will work fine. You'll find that you'll get a littel better "stay on teh ground" riding from a 750 swing arm though, as its about 1.5" longer........

Comment

• If you guys really want a power boost, there is an Orient Express Built 200hp+ oil cooled GSXR motor on ebay right now

Comment

• Thanks guys for such a fast response - I recently posted on a number of site looking for an engine, thinking it would be hard to find - turns out there is quite a few, and they are coming out of the woodwork, litterally from under people's stairs it seems!

-Grimmy

Comment

• Kat 600 CDI to run GSXR 750

The big question - will the '90 Kat 600 CDI run a '90 GSXR 750? If so, will it do it properly or will it run the 750 kinda half-assed?

-Grimmy

Comment

• Hey..this has been bugging me for quite some time...

What exactly IS the difference between the speedo pickup on the '98+ Kat and the '01+ Bandit 12? Is it just a different size/shape of pickup? Or is it in a completely different position on the bandit? Kwebbel, Special K...anyone? Is there any way to simplify this part of the swap? I remember someone saying that you can't drill the hardened steel case cover.....but I'm pretty sure that the drill presses we have at work could do it...our machinists work with cold rolled, T1 etc. all the time, so there's gotta be something I can do....

Is the B-12 a speedo cable, and the Kat using a pickup instead?

Thoughts? Pictures? Info? Thanks guys!
                                FrankenKat 1216
                                GS Fiter 816
                                GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Working...
                                X