No announcement yet.
X

USD Forks and 17 Inch conversion 92 1100 GSXF

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once I get the new switch here, i will mock it and see. I will try and see if elongating the holes as you have will do the trick. Thanks for the thought...
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Nice job, can't wait to see it finished
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
        ...The lock will probably not line up...
        Before you install the lock, take it and your key to a locksmith. They should be able to rekey the lock to match your key.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Yeah Bill, nice to have just the one key. I should be able to do that... Used to do it with vehicle ignitions all the time...

Comment

Comment

New Update....

I get Nuts when I get an idea in my head and then I turn ok once I am done... I think I have AADD...

Did the rear Rim conversion today... Could not have been any more straight forward... The gap for the rear tire, at the axle, for the Kat11 and the GSXR is 1/16th shy of 10 inches. For those of you using the metric system, it means they are same...lol had to, sorry...

There was only two things that had to be done.

1. The inner hub od the GSXR rim is narrower than the Kat11. The left spacer is wider than the Kat's. If you use the Kat spacer so that the chain alignment stays, then you will have to sacrifice two to three MMs off center on the tire and rim and make a spacedr for the other side to make up the offset. wild Bill had this issue. Becasue I had the entire set up and the trailing arms are the same width I wanted to use all GSXR parts on the axle. My solution to the chain alignment was to simply space out the sprocket from the cush drive. Again, we are talking 2-3 MMs, and the center of the sprocket still sits on the hub center "guide"
              , so no issues there...

2. If using all of the GSXR parts as I am, you have to trim the brake bracket on the right side and you have to elongate the holes. Here is a couple of pics of what it looks like done.

You also have to flip it, originally it was meant for a bottom mounted caliper, as you see, I went with my original. So the bracket now sits to the top. Also, you have to mount it backwards, the inside on a GSXR set up has to be on the outside on the Kat. This gives you the correct hieght and offset to mount the stock caliper. On the pics, you can see a stainless steel washer mounted between the bracket and the caliper. That was the only shim that had to be used. Remember, upside down and inside out.

The strut bar did not have to be modified. Becasue I shimmed the sprocket and used the GSXR left axle shim the rotor was almost at the same position that the original one sat at. You can see in the pics that the brakes match almosty perfectly.

Her are some more pics...

I have to say that the swap for the rear wheel was as straight forward as changing for original OEM. the only Mod was done as mentioned above.

Just waiting on the brake lines and the ignition switch still. i will look into the carbs tomorrow.
              Last edited by Nut-Nut; 07-27-2011, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Very nicely done ...
                The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Thanks, almost there.. almost there... less thana week apart and may have completed everything by the weekend. should have ordered the brake lines sooner....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nut-Nut View Post
                    Thanks, almost there.. almost there... less thana week apart and may have completed everything by the weekend. should have ordered the brake lines sooner....lol
                    I want a complete ride report regarding handling differences
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Ok, new update on the build...

Next big post will be a write-up for anyone that wants to go at it.

Right now, I am 99 percent done. I am still waiting for the ignition switch. I have the original mounted to the side with a single bolt so I could take her for a spin.

All I can say is WOW.. it is like riding a different bike, and all for the better. The front is nice and stiff, you can feel the road and there is absolutely no instability. I have everything set to the hardest settings (front and rear, rear is original shock) but it just rides super nice. Took her out with wet roads and she felt more stable than on dry before the swap.

From Wild-Bill's 17 inch write up, he said that the 17 inch wheels alone made a world of difference, so I do not know how much it's the front end, but I am guessing it is a combination of both. I cannot recommend doing this enough.

I will have to trim the bottom of the fairing under the headlight because she did hit the fender. I was braking really hard while going over a bump to see if she would, and she did, just an adjustment. something else is that the front end drops almost two inches as compared to stock, so the kickstand will have to be shortened as well.

Low speed manouvers where super smooth and the bike was gounded. Hell, I did a really slow crawl and was almost completely stopped and no instability.

Here are some before and after pics... I will do a detailed write up when I get a chance. Maybe if I come across Busa tubes, they will swap right in..lol that one is for the future...

Fonrt end Side by Side
                      BEFORE

After

Rear Before

And After

I will do the write up when I get a chance. It was really a lot easier than I thought it would be.... Thanks for all the previous posts that inspired and helped along the way..

God I love this Site...
                      Last edited by Nut-Nut; 07-29-2011, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Now get Tmod to redo you rear shock and you,ll be even more impessed. As much as the tweaking the front forks helped, the rear shock made the largest difference in ride quality for me. Nice job on the conversion, very impressive.
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Thanks... It was actually kind of simple if you decide to get Clip-ons with a three in riser online. That adapter and riser was the only real fabrication needed.

As for the rear shock, I have the one from the same bike i got the front end from. Have to do something with the lower mount as it looks like it will hit other suspension parts. I will install it over the winter and see what happens.

Will try to get her inspected tomorrow and then take her for a real shake down...

Comment

Well, here she is.

Gave her a quick shake down yesterday, nothing loose. took hert out to the twisties today and ended up doing over 200 miles..

She rides like a new girl. I was going through turns with more confidence then when I rode for 9 seasons straight before parking her for 5 years down in Florida.

The brakes are super responsive with very little nose dive. The front and rear are planted throughout the turns, even when hitting small potholes. If anything, when diving into a turn she feels like she wants to lean more. From full upright to full lean she is smooth as glass. scuffed the right side close to a 1/4 inch from the edge on a cloverleaf ramp.

One draw back, becasue she sits almost two inches lower in the front, the fender will hit under real heavy braking if you hit a bump. a little trimming under the cowl will take care of that.

If you ever thought of doing anything like this to your 1100, I cannot recommend it enough. Hyabusa front will probably work better, but this one fits right in.
                            Last edited by Nut-Nut; 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Glad to hear she rides so well. Congrats on a successful surgery!

Hard to say which changes are due to the wheels and what's due to the upgraded forks and lowered front end. I can say that the tendency to settle into turns is there on mine, too. Like I said in my build thread, she handles like a much lighter bike compared to before the wheel swap. My braking is a bit disappointing, though. I think I may have to revisit that aspect. Glad yours turned out so well.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks, we should try to meet up and compare..lol

Bear Mountain is about 2-2.5 hours south of me, maybe you can come up... I know there were a couple of guys in the NYC area, that is not a bad ride for them either. I used to do it all the time...

What do you think, meet and greet...

Comment

Working...
                                X