X

weak spark

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weak spark

Okguys still trying to work out all my kinks . I have a problem now that when go for ride around my neighborhood n get back idle is mediocre at best and eventually dies out. I know spark is orangeish not a good blue and possibility of running rich? What circuit? Jet kit is factory pro. Header welds ground,yoshi slipon. Bike pulls great all over the board but like i said wants to die out at stops. Coils are factory. Wtf mates?

Sounds like a dirty pilot circuit and poor spark to me.
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Orange spark is definitely weak. As stated in other thread, check voltage to coils. It'll probably be low, then you'll have to trace back connections to find voltage drops and clean/repair when you find drops. Or look into coil relay mod.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Been looking into doing relay mod but what does it realy do? Just deliver the full 12v instead of going through 20g wire and all sorts of conections?

Comment

Bingo

Each connection is a potential weak point for corrosion. Lots of small gauge wire = greater resistance, = more heat, = over time wires can overheat and burn up, melt connectors, etc. add in water from riding in the rain, or morning dew, etc, and 10 - 20 years...shit happens. Coil mod puts juice straight from the battery to the coils.
          Last edited by shpielers; 03-26-2015, 12:12 PM.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Bingo

Each connection is a potential weak point for corrosion. Lots of small gauge wire = greater resistance, = more heat, = over time wires can overheat and burn up, melt connectors, etc. add in water from riding in the rain, or morning dew, etc, and 10 - 20 years...shit happens. Coil mod puts juice straight from the battery to the coils.
            Awesome thanks dude. Electrical is somewhat of my weak point but can manage. Ill be getting into this this weekend if i actually get a day off this week

Comment

A weak spark may also be caused by degraded HT leads/caps and/or a coil in poor condition.
              IIRC the coils should measure 2-4 ohm (primary) and 30-40 kohm secondary.

Comment

Well i got some supplies from work and did relay mod this morning. Got good blue spark again. Only took about 30mins to do.thanks guys

Comment

You should still try to find the problem area in the harness. It might be a wire/connection that's on it's way out that could take other things with it when it goes. Could also just be little corrosion here, teeny bit there and no one big problem area, but if you're able, better to check.
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Yea i know i should but really bike is only 10yrs old. But corrosion could be a problem as bike sat out behind my old job for years before i scored it for 400$ in a pile of parts

Comment

Sat outside for years - doesn't it rain a lot in FL? Corrosion is definitely a possibility.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Yea def . Most plugs,connectors ect that i take apart are clean . Will be looking further into harness tomorow while its still apart

Comment

Working...
                        X