X

A little sightseeing...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zuma View Post
    Didn't mean to butt into your thread, Tom...just couldn't help but compare and contrast the two towns we live in...

Dan, no worries! This is cool!

Trust me, we have more than a few places in SoCal with a small-town look and feel.

This could make a neat section in Pics & Flicks. (Hint, hint, Steves )

Take a tour of your town, city, community on your bike (gotta have your bike in some of the pics) and shoot some pics.
    There are so many KR members from towns and locals that many of us have never heard of, what may be mundane and trivial to you is freakin' interesting to others.
    Might even cause a few of us to look at their hometowns in a whole new light.

I think we all take our towns for granted at one time or another. I think every hometown has a story to tell. (I never knew that Wink was Roy Orbison's hometown.)
    It would give a few of us a few new destination choices for interesting, out of the way road trips!
    sigpic

Comment

Weren't we going to do some photo hunt ma-thing?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

The second pic explains the purple suit. TMinus 5...

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm View Post
          Dan, no worries! This is cool!

Trust me, we have more than a few places in SoCal with a small-town look and feel.

This could make a neat section in Pics & Flicks. (Hint, hint, Steves )

Take a tour of your town, city, community on your bike (gotta have your bike in some of the pics) and shoot some pics.
          There are so many KR members from towns and locals that many of us have never heard of, what may be mundane and trivial to you is freakin' interesting to others.
          Might even cause a few of us to look at their hometowns in a whole new light.

I think we all take our towns for granted at one time or another. I think every hometown has a story to tell. (I never knew that Wink was Roy Orbison's hometown.)
          It would give a few of us a few new destination choices for interesting, out of the way road trips!
          I was thinking along these lines when I put the Wink Roy Orbison Museum pic up...but it's the only thing that's here besides some houses, the school, and a convenience store...so I've played out my hand.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by GytRDunKat View Post
            The second pic explains the purple suit. TMinus 5...

You are dead.
            Next time I see you just lay down on the ground, 'cause you're dead.

sigpic

Comment

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Great pics Tom.
                Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MyGSX600F View Post

why is the Male sculpture in the foreground instead of the background?... I'm just saying!!

Little background on the "couple":

Dedicated on June 1, 1984, the Olympic Gateway was commissioned by the LAOOC to commemorate the Games. It stands 25 x 15 x 5 feet above the ground, and weighs 20,000 pounds. The Olympic Arts Festival organizers selected sculptor Robert Graham, who died in 2008, to create a lasting monument for the 1984 Olympic game site. The torsos of a male and a female figure were modeled from a water polo-player and a sprinter, who both took part in the Games.

The "male" is Terry Schroeder, Head Coach of the US Men’s Olympic Water Polo Team. Terry is known as “the sculpture,” as it is his likeness that was used for the statue outside the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

Which could have lead to some pretty interesting conversations in the Olympic Village:

"Hey, Terry! Isn't that you?"
                  "Uh... no."
                  "Yeah, it is."
                  "NO!"
                  "Well, half the women on the weightlifting team swears it's you."

or,

"Olga... you ARE vuman!

The sculpture might have led to a minor scandal before the games even started, because the Atlanta (Ga.) Committee for the Olympic Games requested from the officials of the Coliseum to cover up the figures; the reason given was that television viewers might catch a glimpse of the figures and find them indecent. The Coliseum officials firmly refused. No scandal and no "Fig Leafs". If you can remember back to the '84 Olympics, the networks never broadcast any footage of the monument on live TV.
                  sigpic

Comment

Nice post!
                    I really enjoyed the shot of that security guard.
                    Since when does photography=suspicious activity?
                    2005 Katana 750

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                      you shoulda been, "Hey, that guy parked right in front of the door, at least I stayed down here on the sidewalk..."

great pics Tom

dude, that is exactly what I was thinking! Why is there a car up there?
                      May the road rise up to meet you.
                      May the wind always be at your back.
                      May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                      and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                      And until we meet again,
                      May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                      RIP Marc

Comment

Working...
                      X