X

NEED ADVICE REPLACING A CLUCH CABLE

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED ADVICE REPLACING A CLUCH CABLE

WONDERING IF SOMEONE CAN WALK ME THROUGH THE STEPS ON REPLACING THE CLUTCH CABLE. I BLEW MY CLUTCH BASKET OUT LAST WEEK, AND FIXED IT, THEN WENT ON A 8HR RIDE YESTERDAY AND IT WAS FINE, BUT TODAY CAME UP TO A LIGHT AND SNAPPED THE CABLE, FORCING MYSELF TO DRIVE HOME WITHOUT USING THE CLUTCH (PUSHING THE BIKE TO LIKE 5 MPH AND THEN GIVING IT SOME GAS AND DUMPING IT IN GEAR, AND CLUTCHLESS SHIFTING FROM THAT POINT ON, CONTINOUSLY.( OONLY 20 BLOCKS OR SO)....I CANT FIND A WRITE UP ON IT AND I SEARCHED FOR "INSTALLING CLUTCH CABLE" AND CAME UP WITH POSTS ON SLIPPING CLUTCHES. IM PICKING UP A NEW CABLE FROM A LOCAL SALVAGGE YARD FOR THE MEAN TIME, I JUST NEED A WALK THREW, I DONT HAVE A MANUAL...THANKS

First, stop posting in all caps.

Second, remove the left side cowling and fuel tank.

Then take out the bolts that hold the sprocket cover on.

You'll need a 10mm wrench as I recall to loosen the cable from the top of the sprocket cover.

Next you'll need to use a screwdriver to carefully bend back the tab on the back of the sprocket cover which will release the cable from the cover, then unhook it from the clutch lever up on the handle bar.

Installation is in reverse order. Don't forget to lube the cable first. I reccomend removing the tank and the upper fairing so that you are able to visually check no binding or misrouting when you install the new cable. You might be able to do it leaving the tank on....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

sorry bout the caps, i didnt notice.

thanks for the info, do i have to take off the shift lever to take the sprocket cover off?

Comment

Originally posted by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE
        sorry bout the caps, i didnt notice.

thanks for the info, do i have to take off the shift lever to take the sprocket cover off?
        Sorry yes, you'll need to remove that as well. I'd suggest marking the position with a sharpie or something. Having a pair of snap ring pliers is useful too.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

is there anything i got to watch for? no fluids are going to leak out right? springs or anything, small parts, and how long would you say it should take having all the tools? thx

Comment

If you have all the tools. Remove and replace the cable at the lever. Tie the new cable to the old one, then pull the old one out so that the new cable follows the same routing as the old. Then remove and replace the cable at the sprocket cover, allow yourself 30 minutes, although you'll most likely be done sooner, allow 30 minutes.

Comment

that aint bad at all, so theres no surprises to run into? thanks...hey chris, you ever get those forks

Comment

Grease the shaft the shift lever sits on , watch the snap ring , the sprocket cover bolts are different lengths (take note) , make sure you adjust the new cable as per the clutch adjustment guide on here (search) ..... maybe throw some new grease in the lifter mechanism for bonus points , and that's about all I can think of .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                  watch the snap ring...
                  ...as it flings into the air, landing in the grass.

Really, watch that you dont loose it. Even with the right tools that thing will fly off to Never Never (To Be Seen Again) Land.
                  How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                  How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                  How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                  How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                    watch the snap ring...
                    Yeah , that's what I was getting at .
                    The first time I did that , I used a small pair of electronic needlenose pliers and a screwdriver . I pried the ring off , and it FLEW .....somewhere . After using wire ties ( DAMN I love those things !) to make sure my shifter would stay in place , I bought some snapring (or circlip) pliers . Makes the job MUCH easier .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

well i got the cable, installed it (35min) without taking tank off, and un-bolting part of the fairing, putting a 1/2" drive ratchet to give me some room. the clutch is like butter now. before it took some effort to pull in, im guessing the pre-owner didnt grease the thing....thanks for the help everyone, very simple install, just as simple as a clutch!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                        watch the snap ring...
                        Yeah , that's what I was getting at .
                        The first time I did that , I used a small pair of electronic needlenose pliers and a screwdriver . I pried the ring off , and it FLEW .....somewhere . After using wire ties ( DAMN I love those things !) to make sure my shifter would stay in place , I bought some snapring (or circlip) pliers . Makes the job MUCH easier .
                        We learned the hard way to teach others what we leaned.

Wait...is that even written properly?

Anyways, the right tools do make a difference.
                        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

yes, the right tools make a job 100% easier.

Comment

Working...
                          X