No announcement yet.
X

My 1990 Katana 600 TURBO build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I ordered the BOV and 4psi Wastgate as well as the header wrap and a 90* -10AN fitting for the turbo drain back. I have a question about fuel pumps.

Originally everyone uses the MSD 2225 pump which retails for alittle over 100$ and puts out way more gas and PSI than I will ever need, understanding that the return fuel regualtor will lower the PSI to what I need. Now the pump I was looking at is rated at 5-9psi and flows 30GPH and is much cheaper. THis would be fine at 4psi as I would only need 7psi roughly at full boost and I could max out at 6psi on the turbo with 9psi at the regulator. This pump is also much cheaper and pretty easy to install.

My other option is to install a In tank EFI pump (255lph high pressure pump) which is about 1/2 the price of the MSD external pump but puts out more if not the same LPH. The only issue would be running the wires inside the tank as it would have to be sealed from the gas so the tank doesnt leak. THis also makes alot of room under the gas tank for plumbing and such.

What do you guys think?
    1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
    fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
    55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
    R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
    Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

This is such an epic thread. I am really excited to see the final product. Good job so far sir

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

very nice , keep up the progress pics !
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

But mostly I like what you did with the headlight. Any better pics of that? and what did you do? Looks pretty neat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks...I just paint the head light with the same paint of the bike...

Comment

Originally posted by Javy23 View Post
            But mostly I like what you did with the headlight. Any better pics of that? and what did you do? Looks pretty neat.
            Thanks...I just paint the head light with the same paint of the bike...[/QUOTE]

Well it makes it look different! lol.

That and I can tell you did either a 4.5 or 5.5 rim swap (goin with the 5.5 swap) and Im liking the Black on black look esp around the back half. Not a fan of stickers but its not too bad.

Comment

Ok so I got some more done today. Ive been working on this alot lately... cant seem to not want to lol. But I will be too busy the next few days and its a good thing since Im basically waiting on the BOV, waste gate, exhaust wrap, fitting and 46mm pod filter.

I was able to get the 2" pipe expanded today to about 2.2" so It would slip over the V&H header collector. Ended up being super tight and some massaging of the header was in order as well as smacking it on and off a few times to get things to fit snug. Best part is that it fits so tight that theres ZERO chance of an exhaust leak lol. I dont even need to weld on spring tabs to hold the header to the rest of the exhaust. Instead I fabbed up a quick 1/8" steel exhaust bracket to mount to those frame holes on the bottom of the bike. Its just mocked up with a long bolt to make sure I didnt screw it up. But it will use a 3/8" SS bolt with nylon lock nut. This should prevent the exhaust from trying to seperate as well as add some rigidy to the exhaust and take some pressure off the turbo flange and Vband so it should seal better.

Here are some pics. the mounting tab is 1/2 way between the wheel and collector. I just finish MIG welded the rest of the exhaust since it will be covered with wrap anyway theres no reason for nice TIG welds and a waste of my time/material. Vbands will be TIG welded and with 308 SS rod so at least the welds/Vbands wont rust . Exhaust was just painted with rustoleum 2000*F header paint as well as the turbo as it was rusting already! . Also I posted a pic of the clearance of the swing arm (at full extension) to the exhaust piping. Even with the wrap I should be good!

I havent finished the exhaust flange inlet to the Vband as Im going to try and stuff the nice billet wastegate under the rear fairing as well as under the under tail. This will be tight but if I can it would hide it and make the bike look alot cleaner on the outside. The wastegate uses mini Vband flanges at 38mm so they should be 1.5" which I have tubing for and will be plumbed into the exhaust exit. The short piece of exhaust (from the Vband to the turbo) will also have the 02 Bung welded in for tuning purposes if needed (will be plugged when not being used).

I think it turned out pretty good and it follows the lines of the bike really well (swoops back and in like some thought was put into it vs just straight piping. Its also tucked up higher than my V&H exhaust I think.

Last but no least Ive started measuring for the Plenum and I have the 22 gauge sheet steel to make it. going to use 2" tubing for each carb opening as well as a 2" inlet.
              Attached Files

Comment

Now I need some help. I need to relocate the stock rear brake reservoir back a few inches so I would need new Rubber hose that is longer than stock. Where can I get this special rubber brake hose? I cant just use regular rubber fuel line right or transmission line?

Comment

If you have to change it anyways, I'd recommend getting a new SS brake line.
                  My .02
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    If you have to change it anyways, I'd recommend getting a new SS brake line.
                    My .02
                    Every brake line on the bike is brand new G&J braided ss smoked brake line. I'm talking about the rubber line that connects the rear brake master cylinder to the brake reservoir. There is wat looks like a 5/8 thin walled rubber brake line that connects the reservoir to the master. I would need a longer peice of rubber hose to relocate the reservoir back like 2".

Comment

Just go to your local Napa and get some Weatherhead Easy Couple hose, it'll be relatively cheap for a foot and is oil/diesel/brake fluid resistant hose.

Looking good so far.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

The line from the reservoir to master is pretty low pressure, don't have any of your stock brake lines laying around?
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Check the OD of the fittings. I had to replace that part on the Magna I'm fixing up and used 3/8" fuel line. It was pretty tight but after I warmed it up with a heat gun it slipped right on.
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks Teddy. I will look into that.

Scottynoface, I have my original lines but the ID of the rubber Hyd brake like is like 1/8" lol. I need prob a 3/8" or larger for the resorvoir. I Dnt want to pull the line off as it will spill all the fluid so I would have to drain it first. There should be little to no pressure on that line as it just gravity feeds fluid from the reservoir to the master cylinder.

Wildbill, how's that working out for you? I heard that regular rubber fuel line doesn't react well with brake fluid and it will "sweat" the fluid through the hose to the outside or allow moisture in. Basically I need 12" of EPDM rubber hose which is what is used for rubber brake lines.

Comment

im loving this thread!
                              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Thanks, I pulled the line off the rear master cylinder last night and it looks like its 3/8" min and it would fit over tightly. I also started designing the plenum which will equate out to roughly 2800cc's of total volume. I know with a 4cyl you dont need a multiple of 4x the engine size but the plenum should fit nicely and will have about 4x the displacement of the engine size at the moment. THis would come more in handy with the larger displacement motors like the 750 and 1100 (which I hope have the same carb spacing). I will figure it out better depending on how things fit as I just recieved my BOV and exhaust wrap today.

I also ordered a few other parts that I needed. I decided against the 3-9psi pump as i would be lucky if it was able to hold 9psi. I decided to go with a summit racing brand (car racing company) inline fuel pump that puts out 45gph at 40-45psi. This should be perfect and put enough fuel to support 500hp on a regular car motor. Best part is its the same pump as the MSD and cost $40 less, pump only cost me 80$ new. I also got some 1/8" steel NPT bungs for the plenum vacuum ports and a 1/4" NPT bung for the pressure port off the tank. Now its getting everything and getting it all to fit! Also got a 15psi stewart warner turbo boost gauge as the glowshift gauges i have now look good but aren't water proof and are made in Taiwan but cost the same if not as much as these very well known and respected USA made gauges that I run on my race car. I'll throw a LED bulb in there to make it match and call it a day (they are also fully sealed) so water wont be an issue.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X