X

Post GPS Mounting DIY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post GPS Mounting DIY

I have heard alot of people asking about mounting options for GPS units. Well, I decided to go ahead & post what I had done myself.

Picture #1 & #2 shows the mounting bracket I had bought from BestBuy.. Cost me $27.99.

From there, I had removed the front center plastic & windscreen only. The reason for this is to make sure the GPS unit is not going to be in the way of the windscreen at all..

Next, find the center point of the dash mount (not to hard since the bottom windscreen mount is dead center) and aligned the mounting bracket, screwed it in, and done & over with that. Picture #3

Next, put in the mount that is provided for you in the GPS Kit for your GPS unit to the mounting bracket. It will be alittle lose to allow you to adjust it where you want it.... Tuck the windscreen back in, and put the GPS unit on the mount & adjust to your preference. Take note of this and make sure the slide is facing up. Picture #4

Next, tighten down the mount, mount it to the GPS, slide it onto the mounting bracket screwed into the dash, put the windscreen back on, tighten everything back down and voila! Picture #5

The best part is, I had done this to a stock GPS mount for a TomTom One 3rd Generation & rode around in the rain and the GPS never got wet since it was under the windscreen, but i'd still think about putting a zip-loc bag over it for precaution....
    also, it does not interfere with any gauges, or warning lights.
    And from there, it is pretty simple & explained by the pictures I have provided.

Also, the kit I bought has a mount for iPhone, iPod nano 4th & 5th gen, iPod Touch, Garmin Nuvi & Zumo series Street Pilot C & I series, Magellen Maestro & Roadmate 1200 -1212 -1400 - 1412 - 1430, Magellen Roadmate 1210 - 1220 - 1340 - 1440 - 1470 & N extar Q4 & ME..

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Im more then happy to answer them!!

Josh
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GSXF 600 Guy; 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM.
    If you think routine maintenance is expensive,... Try Ignorance!

that looks cool.
    Next on my list of things to do
    I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

thats whats up buddy,,,exactly what i will be doing shortly, thanks for all the info and pics!
      2000 suzuki katana gsx600f

1997 yamaha yzf-1000

2002 honda recon 250es

Comment

Nice! I saw your post on facespace and wondered if you would do a write up on KR.
        Former Marine 3/97-3/01
        MOS 0161 Semper FI!
        sigpic

Comment

i didn't have a mount other than the suction cup one. after deciding that my tank bag wasn't working right i tried the suction cup mount. it sticks to my windscreen just fine. stayed on great riding the Dragon and Skyway here at the Rally. i did however add zip ties as a backup in case it came loose. no problem all week.
          never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
            i didn't have a mount other than the suction cup one. after deciding that my tank bag wasn't working right i tried the suction cup mount. it sticks to my windscreen just fine. stayed on great riding the Dragon and Skyway here at the Rally. i did however add zip ties as a backup in case it came loose. no problem all week.
            I did the suction cup thing on mine the first week I owned it, always felt weiry of it.. Id have to say about a week of it being there, it finally fell when I was on a major highway. I didnt hit no bumps or nothing... THANKFULLY it got stuck in the inner fairing for the front "wheel well"..
            Thats when I found a more perminate mounting point. My old GPS took a crap on me and I had to configure for the new style TomTom mounts..

Comment

Thats the same place I put mine on my pre, but I had to make a custom bracket it get it mounted. Hows the angle? I had to adjust mine a few times so the sun from behind didnt create a glare that kept me from seeing the screen.

Definetely a nice thing to have on a bike.
              Originally posted by arsenic
              93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

What is the name of the company that makes them?

Or what does it say on the front of the package?

Also I really like the way you painted the inner top plastic blue on your top fairing and around the gauges.

How did you get it so smooth? Isnt that plastic a little rough textured?

thanx
                dave
                Live To Ride, Ride To Live.

Comment

Nicely done, will have to try something similar.
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

Originally posted by The_Mad_Katter2006 View Post

I'd like to know this as well...Just got a TomTom for an anniversary gift, and would love to do that exact install!

Thanks!

2006 Katana 750
                    2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
                    2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Is that a universal mount or is it only for the TomTom?
                      sigpic
                      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

So, after some google digging, and studying the pics in the post, I found this....

It's universal, and includes the various attachments for different devices. Of course, as I usually find, it's not available in Canada. Well, I can always order and have it shipped, but who wants to pay that?

The search will continue.

2006 Katana 750
                        2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
                        2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Sorry for not responding quickly.. I had a few other things going on.

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post
                          Thats the same place I put mine on my pre, but I had to make a custom bracket it get it mounted. Hows the angle? I had to adjust mine a few times so the sun from behind didnt create a glare that kept me from seeing the screen.

The angle is PERFECT! No glare at all. As you can see from the pics, is pretty set back behind the windscreen. Now, for a pre, im not sure yet on how deep it will be behind the windscreen.

Originally posted by HemiKat View Post

Definetely a nice thing to have on a bike.
                          Yes, it is VERY good to have.. Now, I can just GO with whatever roads I want and NOT wonder how to get home

Originally posted by vonrapier View Post
                          Is that a universal mount or is it only for the TomTom?

No. It does have different “slides” for other GPS units & also some phones :

Originally posted by JamieKatana View Post
                          So, after some google digging, and studying the pics in the post, I found this
                          Originally posted by JamieKatana View Post
                          http://www.bestbuy.com/site/IQ+Smart+Solutions+-+Dash+Mount+for+Select+Mobile+Phones+and+GPS+Devic es+-+Black/9788617.p?id=1218175866849&skuId=9788617

It's universal, and includes the various attachments for different devices. Of course, as I usually find, it's not available in Canada. Well, I can always order and have it shipped, but who wants to pay that?

The search will continue.

Yes, it is made by IQ. And, from what I see in that pic, its very similar. I paid $27.99 for it at the store. i dont know why they are selling it for that price on the Net..
                          The one I got is the IQ-1300 and looks a bit different. In the kit, it comes with "slides" that match the units mount, and then slide into the dash mount. I will take more photos tonight.

Originally posted by The_Mad_Katter2006 View Post

Also I really like the way you painted the inner top plastic blue on your top fairing and around the gauges.

How did you get it so smooth? Isnt that plastic a little rough textured?

thanx
                          dave
                          AS for painting the guage surround, All I did was sand it with 800 grit, wiped it down with prep pads & painted... It still has the texture, which I like better then the smoothness.. I smoothed out the front behind the windscreen as a test spot, but it was WAY to shiny.. Distracting really from the glare. With the texture, I dont have the glare at all!
                          Last edited by GSXF 600 Guy; 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

that looks awesome
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                              that looks awesome
                              Thanks.. And honestly, it takes VERY little time!

Comment

Working...
                              X