X

Rain Gear Thoughts

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Gear Thoughts

Wanted to hear some thoughts on rain gear guys.

We’re looking at picking up Frogg Togg Gear. This gear seems to be a pretty good product on the market. Waterproof, windproof, breathable, keeps you cool instead of feeling like you are in a sweat suite – and seems very affordable.

Anything out there that you may have found that is really good? Anything to stay away from?

sigpic
    Safe Riding All - Whicket

I have some first gear rain pants, and a first gear rain jacket that I carry with me in the summer. Just make sure to budget some waterproof boots in....
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

My uncle has been riding motorcycles for about 40 years and is a MSF instructor in Florida and he swears by Frogg Toggs.

I've been meaning to get some, but haven't gotten around to it...I normally let the wind blow dry me after a good downpour.
      1999 Black Katana GSX-600F

Comment

Frogg Togg's are great.
        Perfect for warmer climates.

Comment

I have a 1st gear suit and it works fine over my leather, no leaks, my g/f has a frogg troggs suit she likes....Depends on how much money you wanna spend....

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

I waterproof my leathers annually and that's about it... When I lived in Europe, I rode with good water-proofs over my gear, but since I moved to Florida, the heat/humidity here turned any water-proof garment into a sauna (got as wet sweating inside the water-proofs as I'd get in the rain riding without gear -- and I smell better after rain than after sweating).

That said, if you ride in cold-rain (say 5-25 degrees C, aka 38 - 65 degrees F) regularly, you might want to consider textile gear that uses gortex or an equivilent.

This year, the makers of Gortex announced that they came up with a three-ply laminate for motorcycle leathers that consists of a water-proof leather, a layer of gortex and a thin mesh liner (to keep the gortex from getting abraided). Several top-brands are bringing out these water-proof leathers in their jackets & gear (Alpine Stars & Dainese specifically said their line-up will use it in the top-end stuff).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow. Not helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by StblJmpr View Post
                Wow. Not helpful.
                What are you looking for?
                -Steve

sigpic
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Hello,

Since the original poster is from Ontario he will know what I am talking about but not sure what's the same in US. Up here we have the Co-Op. Basically a farmer store that sells feed and supplies including farmers work clothes.

Anyhow, they have a bright yellow rain suit with over-alls like bottoms and a jacket. With many a farmer not being small people the suit comes in every size up to XXXL. Fits over leathers, pretty rugged, is bright yellow for the other cars in crap weather and only costs $25.00 (maybe it was $20) so even if you tear a seam the cost of replacement isn't much. Mine have worked for 5 years rather well.

I also just use a really good leather treatment for the lighter rain. There is a guy who does much of the Canadian Superbike leather work (John Bickle) who swears by this leather stuff from Australia. Saddle soap to clean then this stuff and your leathers are practically weatherproof. Also the racers and him swear that in an off at the track less heat is built up during the slide and the leathers deal with the beating better. One national racer (Jeff Williams) swears he slides further during an off after the treatment too.

TTYL, Jeff

Comment

I have some HG two piece water proofs and at £40 I didn't think they were too bad. So far no water has got through and it can bucket it down at times. The trouble with buying expensive all season equipment to keep you dry is that the stitching will fail before the fabric and no matter what I have tried, once the stitching has gone I can never get it waterproof again.

Comment

I have Rhyno Rain gear. Inexpensive, but so far VERY good. I've ridden in some major downpours ( you know the kind, all the other bikes are sitting under bridges shaking their heads at you, as the water level is above your rim ). Never got even a little wet. Definitely wish I had some boot covers and real rain gloves though.
                      Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
                      Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Working...
                      X