X

tool kit?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
    Walmart sells an 3-LED conversion for the mini-mags, which I have in one of my flashlights. I normally carry two lights under the seat. But a head-mounted one might not be so bad...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    I use my head lamp all the time when I am working under my house or above the ceiling tiles at work. I am imagine being stuck on the side of the road working on your bike at night working with a head lamp can be easier. The great thing about the Petzel is that it is a little bigger than a pager so it is easy to carry. It is amazing how much light those little LEDS give off.

Comment

Been there , done that . Headlamps (especially LED ones) rock . And I can USUALLY get by with cleaning fouled plugs with a pocketknife and wire brush , but I DO carry spares as well . MUCH easier to just pop in a new one than scraping a HOT fouled plug clean .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

K, gota ask. What size of allen do I need for the rear view mirrors?

I was installing my alarm and was "dinking" around with the farings, wanting to get a look undernieth and found that the rear view mirrors need an allen that is not in the tool kit.

BTW is all thats needed to take off the farings allen wrinch's?

Comment

Pretty much . I THINK it's an M5 allen , but not sure . Surprised it's not in your toolkit , I think it was in mine (until I lost it ) . Just buy a cheap metric keyring set for like $3 .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

On an 98+, you normally need a 4mm, 5mm, 5.5mm and 6mm allen keys to get everything off. I think the mirrors are the 5.5mm's... HarborFreight carries a set of T-handled metric allen keys cheaply for the home toolkit... for the road (i.e. - underseat toolkit), I use the metal shealthed kind (folds up like a swiss army knife), because they won't fall apart and go astray.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

ha, i found my 7 sets of allen keys (ameri & euro) from the paintball days.

finally got a set of metric keys (the kind thats like a swiss army knife) and 'masturbating' light for tools.

Comment

to get the fairings off on pre98 the stock front turns need a wrench i believe 14mm to get them off might have been 12mm

Comment

I carry mcguyver and my stock toolkit
                  97 Katana 600
                  [email protected] (or IM)

Comment

Update:
                    Malloc pointed out that he scored a really cool set of wobble-tip metric allen keys in an aluminum binder (again like an swiss-army knife, fold-up style) at Walmart for under $10. I grabbed a set just recently, because wobble-tips are always infinitely better, especial if you have clearance issues.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

The allen wrench that goes to the bolts holding in the rear view mirrors was NOT in my toolkit. I suspect it was left out. It was size M5
                      2006 Suzuki GSX-R 600

Comment

Originally posted by Specter
                        The allen wrench that goes to the bolts holding in the rear view mirrors was NOT in my toolkit. I suspect it was left out. It was size M5
                        No better excuse to improve you kit...

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

GREAT THREAD!
                          2007 GSXR 600 BLACK
                          Traded in the 02 KAT 600 and sold the 02 KX250..
                          2003 KX 125 (sold)

Comment

New addition to my toolkit: Rescue Tape. This is a superior version of the generic silicone tape Tzorten suggested.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Good thing for reading, having a Pre 98 I guess I don't have to post anything just search, I'm finding all my questions already have answers!!

Comment

More Updates:
                                Maglite has now released their "official" LED flashlights, which use a single very bright large-scale (3-watt/3mm-square) LED. I've picked up a few of them recently and will be switching my under-seat kit to carry the 2-AA version instead.

Notes from testing the new ones:
                                Much, much brighter than any other LED flashlight I've tried, including much brighter than the 3rd party conversion kits for the Maglites.
                                although MagLite sells just the LED bulb to upgrade existing maglite, the new flashlights with the LED have a somewhat different reflector shape that works better with their LED bulb (longer cone on the reflector).
                                There is ZERO difference in brightness between the 3-watt LED 2-AA flashlight and the 3-watt LED 3-AA flashlight; the only difference is battery life. The 3-D cell LED version of the Maglite doesn't seem significantly brighter, but does spill the light over a broader area because of the bigger reflector.

Second issue: Gator Grip Pin-Socket (fits 7mm to 19mm with a single socket). I was always hyper-skeptical that this would be worthy, but Malloc proved me wrong, showing me that it does indeed work very well and doesn't mangle/mar bolt heads either. I'll be tossing one into my kit as soon as I run across one in a store. Since it's a 3/8" drive socket, I guess I'll be swapping to a combo ratchet (1/4" drive on one side, 3/8" on the other, on a shared shaft between the two).

Cheers,
                                =-= The CyberPoet
                                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                                X