X

'82 Kats...any advice appreciated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '82 Kats...any advice appreciated

As I mentioned in a different thread, I'm building two 82 Kats...one I've had since new (neglected for many and then stored for past 6 years) and one I just acquired.

On Kat No. 1, I pulled the carbs off a couple of weeks ago for cleaning/soaking. Found one split diaphram and a broken needle jet (cracked across the emulsion drillings). Couldn't find parts and ended up buying a bank of carbs off ebay. Got it running. Clutch was stuck, got it freed up and rode it +/- 50 miles. This bike has 15k mile on it with 99% of the miles put on it before 1986 (last time it was tagged).

Kat No. 2 was running when purchased but the seller had only put 120 miles on it in the two years he owned it and therefore I didn't know the history on the engine. I've put about 100 mile on it since purchased. The bike does not have the correct speedo (per SuzukiRay) so no telling on the mileage.

This weekend I ran compression test on both bikes to determine a directions on these projects. I adjusted the valves on both bikes and then, got each up to operating temperature before checking the compression. I checked each hole at least twice (two different gauges) to confirm the numbers.

This is what I found.

Kat No. 1

#1 170 psi
    #2 167 psi
    #3 175 psi
    #4 170 psi

Kat No. 2

#1 165 psi
    #2 163 psi
    #3 160 psi
    #4 180 psi (checked this hole 4 times)

Base on what I've seen in the service manual, all appears to be well unless I'm missing something. The 180 psi on Kat No. 2 seemed odd but it is what it is and it appears to be in spec even when compared to #3.

At this point, I'm content with freshening up the appearance of the engines, new clutch plates, etc. and moving on.

I'm I on the right track? What do you think?

Naturally, I have more questions but will post them separately to prevent sensory over-load.

Thanks,

Z
    Last edited by zackybilly1; 09-21-2009, 11:00 AM. Reason: Compression Question

If you want, call me at 714-356-7845 if you want some help or just need questions answered. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Working...
    X