X

project almost done and im bored...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project almost done and im bored...

So...i'm waiting for my head to come back from getting all done up and i'm finishing up the new electrical and i'm bored. So I thought I would throw my progress so far and see what feedback I get. The bike is a 06 750 that sat for the last 5 years while I was away playing army. When I got back home I had the great idea that I was going to convert the bike to an electric. A year ago I gutted it and there it sat while I tried to figure out the best battery configuration to use. The funny thing is that it took a year to accept that the batteries alone would be more than just upgrading the gas motor and messing with the looks of the bike. So in July I got the head off the bike and took it to APE to get a valve job and ported. I picked up a new set of cams that should be nice and started changing things cosmetically while I waited for the head to get finished.

I am toying with using the stock seat and just chopping it to fit. I got a cheap set of bar end mirrors to see how they look compared to the mirrors on there now, I think they will look better. The battery tray has been bolted back up so its not hanging anymore and I still need to straighten out the brake lines. The ignition cylinder is gone now so the forks and headlight area looks a lot cleaner. Last step is to finish up the wiring and get the motor put back in. The new electrical is a Motogadget M-Unit and M-Lock. One little digital control box replaces the whole wiring harness and the lock is a keyless ignition. I should have more pictures to upload this weekend and hopefully within a few weeks I can have dyno run footage. I was going to wait till I finished the project to post pictures and all that noise but like I said...i'm getting bored while waiting for the last part.

Wow... No land speed records there where's the motor? I like the oil drain pan perfectly placed but, nothing to drain from.....
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 09-12-2014, 09:45 PM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm not putting the motor back in until the head is back and the cams have been degreed, and it's sitting in a box in the garage.

Comment

Got a couple of hours of work done yesterday. got the new tail light/indicators mocked up, still debating if I want to stick with using kydex or use metal. I also got the front indicators installed. I chopped the stock seat to see how it would look. Not too bad but still needs a little work to make it look right. I got my new speedo mounted, but when I went to take it off to add a washer I snapped the bolt . The bar end mirrors look a lot better than the regular ones I had on before, but I could only check one because one of the bolts was not finished right and I could not tighten it (it what happens when you pay 15 bucks for 2 lol). I put the oil cooler back on as well as cutting the connectors for the stock hand controls off the stock wiring harness and got them ready to hook up to the M-Unit as soon as I install the new ignition.

Comment

Only having a few hours a week to work on the bike blows, I got my gauge mounted properly but that's about it. the rest of the time was spent trying to figure out why my M-Unit went full retard. On a happier note APE finished with my head and I am picking it up on Friday. Saturday the motor and head will be dropped off at the shop to have the lower end rebuilt and blue printed. Hopefully I can have the M-Unit figured out before its all done or I will be going back to the stock wiring harness. I will post pictures of the finished head Friday night. A couple more weeks and the bike should be running again

Comment

The head and the bottom end are now at a local shop. Sorry for no pics of the finished head but it was all wrapped up and I didn't want to unwrap it before it went to the shop. Should be one complete unit again in about 2 weeks hopefully and then back in the bike it goes. Almost there...

Comment

Pics when you're able....
              You doing to do any dyno runs when it's all put back together?
              1998 Katana 750
              1992 Katana 1100
              2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

This is the pic that APE posted on their FB before it got re-assembled. Sadly that is the only one available until the motor is all back together . The deck surface of the cylinder head was also milled down between 12 and 15 thousandths in addition to the port and valve job. the funny thing is that before the work was done APE said not to thow in bigger valves and blend the ports for the sake of riding it on the street while keeping it a 750. Upon picking it up they were actually saying that the biger valves should have been done as well . Yes absolutely, It will be dyno tuned by the same shop and they video the runs. I will also post the dyno numbers as its a tad more than just throwing a stock gsxr cam in so maybe the numbers will be interesting.
                Last edited by i3notsr; 09-30-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Got some work in on Saturday, not much but some. The new license plate bracket and tail light are now how they will stay I think. I tried to grind down the extra material on the inside of the downpipe but my dremel didn't perform up to the task . So now I am wondering if it would be a good idea to just get a aftermarket downpipe since the head has been opened up and breathes better now. I emailed Yoshimura to see if they make a down pipe. If that turns up dry I can get a delkevic but i'm not too sure about getting it, I cant find too much on how they stack up compared to Yoshimura. I should have the bike all wired up next weekend I think as long as the new wiring harness gets here by then, i'm putting the m-unit on hold for the time being as I am not sure what all the ecu actually controls. I don't think it controls spark and all that but I have been wrong before and just want to ride the bike.

Comment

Vance&hines makes a complete exhaust.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I have seen the V&H online a few places, but every description I read fails to mention it is complete with downpipe. I will look further into that. Thank you for the info.

Comment

GSXFJim is also developing an exhaust system for the katana. From what I remember the primaries are 1 3/4" with a 2 1/2"" collector. You can get your own can or his can.
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

Dropped off a few parts at the shop for the motor and got an update. The clutch was smoked and the bearings were gone and the pistons need to be cleaned and new rings. Other than that everything was fine. According to parts unlimited yosh makes a full system so I will be going with that option. The timetable for the motor has it being complete by the end of next week and back in the bike the following week. At the recemendation of the shop I'm going to hold off on dyno tuning the bike until after the motor has been properly broken in.

Comment

Just throwing it out there, you can get the cylinders bored out and larger pistons in while you're at it. If you're actually getting head work done, you're already willing to spend more on your kat than most people on this site. You're probably aware that boring larger is possible, but thought I'd throw it out there in case not.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

If the pistons were gone and needed to be replaced then I was going to do just that. However, for the time being it looks like the bike will remain a 750. I plan on bumping the displacement up to around 1200 on the next rebuild, along with larger valves and stepping up the cam size. I figure this new motor should last me a couple years with any luck. The guys working on it at the shop seem genuinely excited about the work being done. The head work was not bad...just shy of 2k. Overall i'll be coming in under what it would cost for a new bike, at the moment I am roughly at 5k into the project.

Comment

Working...
                              X