X

2003 sv650s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 sv650s

I promised you a review for the SV so here goes.

The SV I purchased wasn't quite in stock form, with the DynoJet PowerCommander 3 USB added, full Yoshimura System, Undertail w/ Led Signals all the way around, Gel Seat (Yes, Gel ), and some Carbon Fiber goodies, as soon as I seen it I fell in love with it.

The SV can be had in a fairing version (650 "S") and a naked version (no fairings). The one I purchased had fairings, with the hope of some protection from wind, rain and anything else I may get caught in. The fairings on the S version do rather well, the look good, pierce the wind like a spear, and routes it around you gently, no buffeting or rocking, and that isnt even in full tuck.

The motor of the SV is of the V-Twin variety, a 90* V 2 cylinder motor, redlines at 11K RPM's, (you'll never need to get their). Unlike the Kat, it is water cooled, which makes for a little nicer ride in traffic. (but a little more maintenance) The motor feels extremely torquey down low, giving you the ability to motor around with ease, but as you add the fuel, it just keeps giving more and more, and with the great fairing design you'll be running 85 in no time.

The FI is almost flawless, (could be the mapping with the pc3), the only problem the SV gave with fueling was a slight flatspot within ~3-400 rpms from idle. This is no problem and can be clutched around. With the power the motor makes, along with the torque that makes it to the road, the sv its simply easy to loft the front tire coming out of a curve while at WOT or , just as easily if you bounce the throttle in 1rst or 2nd.

Now for the part you wanted to hear,

The Initial Ride:

I rode it home from the dealer, but with it bieng 16*F and rodes still cindery a little, I'll write about yesterdays ride.

After about 11:00a.m yesterday morning, I really had a new definition of power and handling. I loved the kat, with its blissful wide open wine and deep howl from the Vance and Hines, but the Kat seems gluttonous compared to the SV (albeit more comfortable). The SV howls and rumbles with the Yosh system, the V-twin rumbling like a mad dog. Its eutopia climbing aboard, waiting for the FI to prime, and hitting the start button, its instant enjoyment listening to the rumble. The motor pulls hard regardless of gear, and pulls FAST, it winds up quicker then Mike Tyson for the knockout punch. The gearing is tall, and an ample amount of speed can be eaked out of the first 3 gears to make it a misdemeanor. The handling, is the best compromise of speed, agility, and all aroundness I've ever felt. It sticks hard in the curves (I mean hard), but rides through town like a cruiser.

Seating and arm position could be improved greatly, but not so much different from the Kat. It seems as if the reach to the bars, and the crouch to the pegs is almost identical, minus a bit of angle that can make it feel like your butt is over your head (perhaps why it accels in the curves?) The position is most comfortable on spirited back road rides, but interstate ripping is feasable on this bike (30 miles back to the house).

Weather your ripping up your local series of curves, zipping through 5 o' clock rush hour, or just heading out to the local bike night, the SV can accomplish it all with more then enough power, comfort, and style.

Kelly-
    6' 1''
    250LBS
    Last edited by katanawarrior; 02-02-2009, 08:47 AM.
    Currently Riding:
    1995 Katana 600
    V&H Exhaust
    Jet Kit

SOLD
    2003 SV650S - Orange Comet Project
    1987 XV700 Bobber
    REPO'D - 2004 Harley XL1200R

“Ill Keep Freedom, My Guns, & My Money, You Keep The Change

Ok now add some more pics for us all to oggle at.

I know I will be getting the gel seat as one of the first purchases for mine when I get her. Though it makes you sit up a little higher it is a lot more comfortable.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
      Ok now add some more pics for us all to oggle at.

Comment

I couldn't stand the stock seat , though ........
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

I updated the pictures in my original thread they can be found here:

Currently Riding:
            1995 Katana 600
            V&H Exhaust
            Jet Kit

SOLD
            1987 XV700 Bobber

Comment

Love that color and really like the look of the SV's. Nice one!
              2004 GSX750F

Comment

that is sick!!
                TDA Racing/Motorsports
                1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                Who knows what is next?
                Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Hey - How far back is your license plate? Loks like it is almost back against where a hugger woudl go or such. Is it bolted to the battery tray or something? Any issues with seeing it from behind or the cops giving you issues yet?

Let me know.

Comment

RED!!!!

I knew there was something I liked about you

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                      RED!!!!

I knew there was something I liked about you

um that is a burnt orange......

Comment

Soul patch is correct with the color

I have had no issues with cops in WV or VA ( and VA is strict) with the liscense plate. I like it where it is, I have always thought that liscense plates were eyesores on motorcycles myself (although i understand their required). I have had 2 WV (1 city, 1 state) behind me , niether lit me up, and had a VA state follow me up the I-state at 8 miles over and didnt get lit up so I dont guess it will be a problem.
                        Currently Riding:
                        1995 Katana 600
                        V&H Exhaust
                        Jet Kit

SOLD
                        1987 XV700 Bobber

Comment

Cool. I am signing off on my bike this wekeend and already planning on getting rid of the shovel first thing. Hell she might not even make it out of the dealers parking lot before the shovel is gone. HA HA. I like the placement of the plate where you have it but at the same time I figure it would **** off the police. I might try it for a bit and move it if necessary....

Comment

Not red! I knew you were gay

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
                              that is sick!!
                              Former Marine 3/97-3/01
                              MOS 0161 Semper FI!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X