X

2003 Honda CBR600RR at Deal's Gap....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 Honda CBR600RR at Deal's Gap....

While I have ridden CBR600RRs before at the Gap, I had a healthy amount of respect for each of the ones I tried. Either because I was afraid of binning my friends' bikes or my lack of experience riding in general or just being exhausted from riding all day.

Yesterday, I was loaned a 2003 CBR600RR to ride at the Gap by a friend. Dave trusted me enough to let me ride his bike only asking that I not wind it up too hard. So I did.

Bear in mind I have put around 55,000 miles on my Katana since May of 2006. I REALLY like my Katana and I don't know much else so my review is slightly biased and not in any way intended to be an expert opinion.

Comfort: Forget it. The ergos are horrible. The seat feels like it is above the bars. The bars almost feel as though they are under you instead of in front of you. Its seat is little more than a vinyl-covered piece of plywood.

Power: Best NOT forget it. Quite manageable power below 10K RPM. Above that and look out! I was on the Gap so I didn't really get to open it up so "highspeed" was limited to around 90.

Braking: Also best not to forget it. The brakes are ridiculously powerful. Couple that with the nearly 100 pounds lighter than the Katana this thing is and stopping is almost voodoo magical.

Handling: This is where it shines. It was effortless. Intuitive. Easy. I was in corners 10-15 MPH faster than I would normally be on the Katana without even trying. I could see myself getting VERY fast on this thing. I could also see myself being hurt badly when I found the limits of my abilities on this thing!

Overall: I want one! I do not, however, want to have to drive it farther than the 60 miles one way to the Gap. I just can't imagine it would be fun as transportation. If you are not fast on one of these things, you're doing it wrong!! PAUL!? RON!? Jussayin!

Verdict: Not selling the Kat, but I would really like to have one!

Last edited by SKNL2; 08-14-2009, 09:12 PM.

Well by the looks of those pics we may be voting for you again on 129 photos next week!!

Quote: Handling: This is where it shines. It was effortless. Intuitive. Easy. I was in corners 10-15 MPH faster than I would normally be on the Katana without even trying. I could see myself getting VERY fast on this thing. I could also see myself being hurt badly when I found the limits of my abilities on this thing!

Exactly.
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Looking good Mark

Just so you know, the 2007 and up are WAAAAAAAY more comfortable, they're extremely comfortable. You sit in them and not on them like the older models. This is why I can ride it all day long, without any problem. It is also why it has won just about every award for 600s since 2007. This year it is losing out to the sweet new ZX6r, but not by much. It also has more power too

If you want to try mine in October, you can, to compare the difference between the older ones and the newer ones
      2007 Honda CBR600rr
      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
      sigpic

Comment

My 06 was more comfy that the 03. You already know that. The handling is also better. 07 and newer are even better yet!

I miss mine! That bike was wicked fun to ride, and the erogs never even bothered me like the 03 did. Crazy fast, effortlessly!
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

i have only tried the katana and couple of choppers

Comment

Originally posted by SKNL2 View Post
            I was on the Gap so I didn't really get to open it up so "highspeed" was limited to around 90.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Working...
            X