No announcement yet.
X

fogging shield

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok..... so am I the only one that simply uses a spray on glass cleaner and paper towels to remove bugs? It's all I've ever done to my shields for years and I've never noticed a problem. As for the fogging in cold weather, it usually happens only while at a traffic light and I simply lift it.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Can you use this on plastic? http://www.rainx.com/products/Windsh.../Anti-Fog.aspx

get a helmet with the nose guard and vents aimed on the mouth and shield.

Comment

Loudnlow does, even thought the package states glass. Kinda why I was asking for other folks experience with it. I'd love to use it but want to be sure it's not going to damage my visor first.

Comment

I think (key word think) the "only use soft soap and water to clean" warning is for liability sake so they dont have to replace your shield when you put brake cleaner on it... Id imagine it would be ok, but try testing it on a junk visor first. Your biggest issue will probably be streaking, not eroding the shield.

Comment

Originally posted by Snapp600 View Post
            Will have to try some of these tricks in the morn. I thought mine foged up due to being a cheap helmet..
            A friend suggested to use "plexus" on the shield for water run off. Its like an anti static plastic cleaner/polish they sell at cycle gear.
            anyone have experience with that stuff?
            You can also use the same wax you'd use on your paint finish...Mother's...just keep it light and thin....buff away to a smear-free finish and you're good to go....in both cases all you're looking for is a thin hydrophillic coating.
            2004 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
              I think (key word think) the "only use soft soap and water to clean" warning is for liability sake so they dont have to replace your shield when you put brake cleaner on it... Id imagine it would be ok, but try testing it on a junk visor first. Your biggest issue will probably be streaking, not eroding the shield.
              I know a lot of people who do it and dont have problems, but quite a few others who did.

Hmm...I have a junk helmet with both clear and smoked/mirror visors...wheels turning...
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I wonder what the differences are in plastic used...

Comment

Originally posted by chrisx2 View Post
                  You can also use the same wax you'd use on your paint finish...Mother's...just keep it light and thin....buff away to a smear-free finish and you're good to go....in both cases all you're looking for is a thin hydrophillic coating.
                  Never thought of that. Now i have another use for the plethora of bottled waxes i have on shelves in my garage! Thanks!
                  "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                    I wonder what the differences are in plastic used...
                    I imagine the coated is more porous, different polymer etc.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Will have to try some of these tricks in the morn. I thought mine foged up due to being a cheap helmet..
                      A friend suggested to use "plexus" on the shield for water run off. Its like an anti static plastic cleaner/polish they sell at cycle gear.
                      anyone have experience with that stuff?
                      I used to use Plexus to shine up plexiglass after shaping and polishing. Never used it on my visor, though. It's a really nice product for cleaning up polished plastic (it doesn't haze it at all), but that's all I ever used it for.
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

You may be serious about this but i seriously just busted out laughing!

Mine fogs too, i may have to try that.
                        It works!!! I do the same thing.

Comment

You guys are working WAY to hard to keep your shield fog free. Ive said it once and ill say it again. Its called Fog city, Pro-sheild. here is a link to the product. I work at a dealership and we sell tons of these. They Create a double layer lens like what you would find in a snow skiing goggle. and there is NO fogging after you install it. No more holding your mouth right or sprays just stick it on and forget it. http://www.danscycle.com/productdeta...bidaa507zz~r=~

Comment

Originally posted by jeffer949 View Post
                            You guys are working WAY to hard to keep your shield fog free. Ive said it once and ill say it again. Its called Fog city, Pro-sheild. here is a link to the product. I work at a dealership and we sell tons of these. They Create a double layer lens like what you would find in a snow skiing goggle. and there is NO fogging after you install it. No more holding your mouth right or sprays just stick it on and forget it. http://www.danscycle.com/productdetail.htm?productId=8250708&ez=Fog%20City~ q=bidaa507zz~r=~
                            $20? **** that...

Comment

$20 to see clearly. That's not too bad considering the possible costs of trying to ride blind; especially in town, where you're going to have more trouble with fogging anyway with stop lights, etc. I don't think it's better than just keeping your shield clean or installing something that came with your helmet (like my shield that came pre-coated) but if that doesn't work for you then I'd say $20 is a pretty good next step.

One of the differences between the less expensive helmets and the costlier ones is that the costlier ones have some design features that are supposed to reduce fogging. Some are more successful than others. My Shoei RF-1000 tended to fog a bit when it was cold and I was sitting still. My RF-1100 doesn't want to fog up at all. My son's Scorpion EXO-400 doesn't fog too badly but it doesn't clear as quickly as the RF-1000 did.

YMMV.
                              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The Rf1100 and all the Shoei helmets do not have a coating on the lense for anti fog. They use the pinlock shield system that you can buy from any Shoei Retailer which creates a double lense also.

And to you cheap skates that arent willing to spend 20 bucks to see clearly. Please stay off the road till its warmer so you dont smash into me or someone else cause you cant see them.

Comment

Working...
                                X