X

My gear, and future gear.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My gear, and future gear.

Hey guys, I figured since this is the best website I've been on for bike and gear discussions, so I thought I'd post and try to get input.

Right now I have a HJC CS-R1 helmet in gloss black. I really like it. The only problem I can find with it is the screen, and I need to invest in a new one. The one on it now is very flimsy, and not fog resistant at all. If I wear it closed for 2 minutes the screen is completely foggy and I need to open it.

Now I'm not a squid by any means. I love and respect bikes. But right now funds are extremely low, so I have no riding gear yet. I plan on getting them over the winter break, and thus the whole reason I started this thread. I would like some input on the equipment I plan on purchasing.

I plan on going with full Joe Rocket gear. I'm doing a Black/Red scheme on my bike so I figured I'd go with a Black/Red scheme for my gear too. The total cost of the gear is just under 500$ and I can't afford much more, so if there is better quality for the same price, I'd gladly consider it.

For the jacket, I thought I'd go with the Joe Rocket Big Bang Sport Textile Jacket. It's 160$, and can be seen here: http://www.rockheadbikes.com/product_p/jrbbjcktrd.htm

For the Pants, the Joe Rocket Alter Ego Textile Pants. It's 180$, and can be seen here: http://www.rockheadbikes.com/product...lrtregopnt.htm

For the gloves, the Joe Rocket Stage One. It's 30$, and can be viewed here: http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Joe_Roc...tgoneglvrd.htm

Lastly, for the boots, the Joe Rocket Velocity Boot. It's 110$, and can be viewed here: http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Joe_Roc...vlctyshwht.htm

I was thinking about the Joe Rocket Pro Street Boot as well, but they're 160$ as opposed to 110$ for the Velocities. Here they are: http://www.rockheadbikes.com/Joe_Roc...strtbtblck.htm
    TBH, I think the Pro Streets have more plastic protection, but I don't have the extra 50$, and in my eyes, the Velocity boot will provide a LOT more protection than my normal shoes, so I'll buy these for now and then upgrade to the Pro Street later if I must.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    - Remember -
    Ride wherever the road takes you and
    never stop until every inch of pavement
    has tasted your rubber.

looks like some pretty solid gear you're looking at. in terms of boots, i personally recommend the Icon Super Duty 3's. they are extremely comfortable, and from what i can tell, offer great protection while still looking like a casual everyday boot. they come in an all black that has some red on the sole, so it would match your color scheme. If you're set on going all JR, then don't let me stop you, i know how it is to prefer one brand and to stick with it. i played baseball my whole life, and as a catcher i prefered mizuno gear, and accepted nothing else don't hesitate to shop around though, look at what the other brands have to offer. JR is a good one, but there may be a sale going on that features a different brand. i'm notorious for snatching gear up when it's on sale. i just bought a brand new jacket to replace the identical one i already owned simply because it was on sale, and i'm gonna sell my slightly used one to recoup some of the money. check out motorcycle-superstore, they've always got various sales going on. newenough.com is another great site.

seriously though, check into the super duty 3's. only $10 more then the JR velocity.

Last edited by SilentTJ; 11-13-2009, 05:35 AM.
    2004 Katana
    GO OWLS!!!

Comment

HAHA Let me start by saying I definitely was set on keeping everything the same brand, so if I decide to go with those boots, I'll probably go with all Icon for my gear lol. That being said, I checked those boots out, and I definitely will consider them, however, I like the sportiness of the Velocities. I probably won't be buying boots until around February. I figure I won't be riding until about March at the earliest, so that gives me 4 months to make decisions on the gear.

I plan on buying the jacket first, then the pants, and then gloves and boots. That way the most I'll be spending at once is 180$ instead of 500$ for it all at once lol.
      Last edited by NitroGlycerin; 11-13-2009, 05:49 AM.
      - Remember -
      has tasted your rubber.

Comment

one thing to keep in mind, a lot of boots that are made for sport bike riding, aren't always the most comfortable to walk around in. which is fine when you're only going out to ride, but if you plan on stopping anywhere for an extended period of time, they can take a toll. it depends on the person though, some people can walk around in full race boots all day and be fine, others can't stand going for more than a few minutes. i'd suggest going to a store, like cyclegear and trying them on, just to get a feel for them. i have no experience with the velocities myself, but i can attest to the super duty 3's being very comfortable not only to ride in, but to walk for extended periods of time. i wear them to school every day i take my bike.
        2004 Katana
        GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SilentTJ View Post
          newenough.com is another great site.
          Lots of good deals - just check out their closeout section!
          "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Hmm, that is a very good point. I'm not sure if we have that store anywhere near here though. I will look into trying to find a store around here.

I had a feeling that the Pro Street Boots wouldn't be that comfy to walk around in, and that coupled with the price made me lean towards the Velocities. They look comfortable, but as we all know, looks can be deceiving. You're right, it definitely is better to try before you buy, so I definitely will look into either a store, or trying to find someone who has them locally so I could try them on.

Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it, and if you have any more, throw it at me haha
            - Remember -
            has tasted your rubber.

Comment

i'm sure as more people pop-on, you'll be able to get more and more advice on the gear, possibly from people who actually own the gear you're looking at. i always figured jackets and pants are ok to be ordered online, just follow their size charts and you're good. helmets generally can be too, but you gotta be careful since some helmets fit different shaped heads differently, so it's best to try those on first too before buying online. but whenever it comes to footwear, it's always best to try it on somewhere before you buy. there's just too many variables that can go wrong. not liking the overall feel, too tight, shaped odd for your own foot, not comfortable after a few minutes, w/e... it's just like buying a pair of tennis shoes, you want the ones that not only fit your taste in looks, but also fit your feet the best. if you need any advice or input on anything else, feel free to PM me, or just put up a post and let the many many experts on this site help you out.
              2004 Katana
              GO OWLS!!!

Comment

WOW, the closeouts on newenough.com are amazing. Jackets for 50$ as opposed to 160$. Quality-wise I'm not sure if I should opt for the cheaper gear though.

What do you guys think?
                - Remember -
                has tasted your rubber.

Comment

i think quality wise, as long as you're going with the major brands, they're usually all pretty good. closeouts are simply old stock they're trying to get rid of. so even though it's priced at say 75, it was probably originally priced at 150+ as most jackets are. again, if you have any doubts, or are curious, find a store locally that might have the jacket, or perhaps a similar one, and see how it feels to you. or just ask on here for anyone who owns one, see what they say. i love to read the reviews people post about products before buying. motorcycle-superstore is usually pretty good when it comes to that, a lot of people will post their opinion about a product after they buy it.
                  2004 Katana
                  GO OWLS!!!

Comment

Yeah, I usually tend to follow that rule as well for footwear. Just because of the variables you stated. That's why I'm going to buy the boots last, so I can have a lot of time to find and purchase the ones I want.

-EDIT-
                    Good lord can we please stop this damn automerge stuff? I posted 2 different replies on 2 different subjects. I didn't want them to be merged. How do I turn this off, or is there no way?

Yeah, I figure if I'm going to spend 500$ on gear, I better be making good choices. Like I said before, I have at least 4 months before riding season begins again, so I have plenty of time to decide what is right for my needs and wants before making a purchase.
                    Last edited by NitroGlycerin; 11-13-2009, 06:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    - Remember -
                    has tasted your rubber.

Comment

For red and black Joe Rocket, try taking a look at this:

Here is a great special closeout you will only find at New Enough. We bought all remaining US inventory of this product at a very special price, so take...

TJ is right, most of their good deals are stock that is changing due to colors schemes and such. I'm on their e-mail list (so I get informed about this stuff) and most of the time that is how they can afford to have such deals. A company (say Joe Rocket for example) decides to change the line for 2010 and will no longer sell "red" gloves. New Enough buys up EVERY SINGLE red glove they have (at a discount) then passes those savings on. All the gear is still new (I wondered about that myself when I first started buying from them) and good quality, just a better price. A leather jacket I just ordered from them was only $99, and when I priced it on the "Shopping" tab from Google it went for as much as $260. Don't think you can go wrong with them, should you find something you like. Plus, they will donate a dollar to KR if you opt to have them do it, no extra cost to you.
                      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

HMM I think I've found my gloves!! Lol

19$ for 50$ gloves isn't bad. Thanks for that link!
                        - Remember -
                        has tasted your rubber.

Comment

No problem - good luck with the rest of your hunting

sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Ill definitely need it lol
                            - Remember -
                            has tasted your rubber.

Comment

dont forget to check 2 more places for gear:

Guaranteed Lowest Prices On Motorcycle Gear & Apparel. Great Selection In Stock. Shop Now! New And Closeout Gear From Your Favorite Brands. Daily Deals. No Risk Price Protection. Dozens Of Top Brands. Exclusive Online Deals. Trusted For Over 15 Years.

craigslist provides local classifieds and forums for jobs, housing, for sale, services, local community, and events

I got the following on craigslist:

AGV XR2 helmet: $400 helmet new, $100 on craigslist new
                              Icon Motorhead leather jacket; $480 new, $125 on Craigslist new
                              Sidi Vertebra 2 race boots, $340 new, $100 lightly used

theres a LOT of lightly used gear on CL, check it out, i'm in SE PA, and I check the CLs as far north as you, and as far west as York PA... basically, within a 2hr drive.

for example, near-ish you:

See My Garage for mods...
                              T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                              Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Working...
                              X