X

oil change now or later?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil change now or later?

I just brought my bike out of storage and have not yet started it.

I'm planning on changing the oil and would like to know if I should just change it now before I even start the bike, or run it for a little while and then change it while its warm (normal way)?

I am leaning towards just changing it before I start it as all the oil and sediments should be settled in the pan from storage. As apposed to starting it and having the dirty oil circulate through the motor.

agreed, but then again, I don't know if thats what Suzuki tells you too do, but I always do that.

Comment

Ya I read my manual and it says "to change while motor is hot so the oil will drain thoroughly from the engine", but it was put away hot/running and hasn't ran since so in theory all the oil should be in the pan.

Comment

drain the oil overnight. anything except what is in the oil cooler and a few other small spots will come out easily. and that is good enough

also, i pour a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the cylinders and let that sit overnight while draining, so when i start up the bike it has some protection and the rings are nice and loose

they tell you to get the oil hot so it runs out of the bike easily, but yours is mostly out already having sat; you are correct!
        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

If its been sitting in storage, the amount of oil in the pan will only decrease if you start it.

Don't circulate that nasty oil through your engine. Drain it first.

Comment

Working...
          X