X

The Most Modded late model Kat 750?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Most Modded late model Kat 750?

So I went out to bike night (beach to hang & talk, hogfish grill to see everyone, 4th street bridge for the stunt shows, and Ybor for the party), and I ran into a guy who looked to be about 19 with a '05 Kat 750 that had been turned into a pure stunt platform... labelled "Rare Breed".
    It was so weird, I just had to share it (and am still kicking myself for not taking the camera -- maybe next time):

Sprockets: Rear 62 tooth, front 10 tooth. The rear sprocket was so large that at first I thought it was a 16" rear wheel.
    Tire: Rear 190 on the stock rim, run at 18 to 20 psi
    Rear Fairings: cut all the way across twice, once at the rear edge of the seat, again halfway to the tail light. The pieces were then drilled with holes and laced into place with vinyl lacing. 12 O'Clock bar optional (not installed at that instant).
    Front Fairings: like the rears, these had also been sliced all the way down slightly forward of the holes over the engine, drilled and laced back into place with vinyl lacing. Repeat about 8" forward, slicing all the way, drilling and lacing.
    Stock left handlebar san grip, but still with the control pod in place (choke, etc): appeared to be welded to the steering stem, pointing straight forward and up at a 45 degree angle, so it ended just shy of the windshield. End of the bar was covered in the dense foam used on MX bikes, as a brace I guess.
    Left handlebar replaced with an aftermarket handlebar, with an MX-style clutch lever low down and a brake lever where the stock clutch lever goes (complete with GSXR style brake reservior). Foot control for the rear brake was in place, but there was no rear brake cylinder at the foot control.
    Instrument panel surround gone for good; instrument cluster held in place by what appeared to be more vinyl lacing.
    The biggest over-kill frame protectors I've ever seen. These were steel pipe pieces welded on at the frame where many mount standard frame sliders (upper hole in the fairings) reaching out about 18", plus a piece going backwards from about 12" out on that pipe and welded just in front of the rider footpegs at the frame. From this triangular structure, the slider stuck out another 5" easy (and was somewhat ground down). I could have easily stood on this frame-protector rig.
    Headlight kill switch.
    Stock footpegs replaced with shorter versions (about 2/3rds the length of the stock ones, but still rubber-covered style).
    Rear footpegs replaced with roller-style MX-bike foot pegs.
    Paint: black and/or flat-black. There wasn't anything silvered left on his bike except some of the controls.

There well may have been other mods that I didn't notice -- I was trying to figure out how the lacing concept worked and why you'd do that...
    The thing that really got me was that he started with a new, good Kat and sliced & modded it like that -- not one that was already wrecked. He mentioned that his top speed is about 100 mph, with the needle coming around on the speedo to about where it starts at zero; he isn't using a speedo corrector and said he wasn't interested/didn't care about that aspect.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

cyber! take your camera next time!

Long Live the D

Comment

Sprockets: Rear 62 tooth, front 10 tooth. The rear sprocket was so large that at first I thought it was a 16" rear wheel

Comment

I'm still tring to wrap my mind around the handle bar configuration, one up and one down?
        Darren Drennan
        Alexander, Arkansas
        06 Katana 750

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Katana_Riders/

Comment

Cyber...its called Stitching...usually done with wire

its to hold cracked pieces together after a crash....did he cut them on purpose?

Comment

Originally posted by Range

its to hold cracked pieces together after a crash....

Spoken like a true stunter. WURD. 8)

Comment

sounds like what my bike is gonna look like!

Comment

There is a guy stunting yellow Kat around Toronto, nink name "tuna", however his bike looks almost stock. I really would like to see this one, as I can't picture it in my head.
                www.photobucket.com/albums/y152/rotary13b/

Comment

TiM

Comment

Originally posted by Range

its to hold cracked pieces together after a crash....did he cut them on purpose?
                    Yup.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

WTF?!?! I never understood what all that stiching was for either.

I have been thinking of adding a brake lever for the rear brake on my bike though. Any thoughts on how?
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        I have been thinking of adding a brake lever for the rear brake on my bike though. Any thoughts on how?
                        Get a lever from an ATV or kid-sized dirt bike, a reservior & master cylinder suitable to that rear brake (i.e. - a front from a GS500, ninja 500, something else that uses a single rotor), and run plumbing from there to the back. I don't know if using a Y-splitter and keeping the foot control as well would be feasible... You also ought to either get a pressure switch or a contact switch, so the rear brake light still lights up!

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by SweetLou
                          Get a lever from an ATV or kid-sized dirt bike, a reservior & master cylinder suitable to that rear brake (i.e. - a front from a GS500, ninja 500, something else that uses a single rotor), and run plumbing from there to the back. I don't know if using a Y-splitter and keeping the foot control as well would be feasible... You also ought to either get a pressure switch or a contact switch, so the rear brake light still lights up!

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Danke!!!
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

Ive read the mods three times and I'm not getting the vinyl lacing and the handle bars/.......the sprockets..........even the 190 at 18 to 20 lbs. he must go through tires quickly and must handle like shit......thats my opinion though..to each his own..

Comment

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                              Ive read the mods three times and I'm not getting the vinyl lacing and the handle bars/.......the sprockets..........even the 190 at 18 to 20 lbs. he must go through tires quickly and must handle like shiate.....
                              The whole thing is customized for low-speed stunting, rather than actually riding around town or going on highway cruises. I'm sure he does run through tires regularly with that set-up. I can't imagine trying to shoe-horn a 190 onto a Kat (totally unsafe because of the mounting lip flange angle compared the rim-lip), but at such a low pressure, it would make the bike fairly straight-line stable while in a wheelie...

The handlebar conversions permit him to be seated on the tank in a wheelie and hit the back brake as needed... The lacing -- well, I'm still trying to understand that myself (although with Range's help, it's starting to make more sense).

Originally posted by slayergsxf1
                              ..to each his own..
                              ditto that!

In searching for his outfit on the net, I found that Rare Breed MC club is actually a "Black MC Club" for Harley riders... I wonder if he knows that his name is an overlap with an existing group?

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X