X

Project 88 Katana- Running logbook

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meanstrk
    What you guys don't realize is that I plan on having this thing done in a month or so........ Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Overachiever!!

Comment

I'm sure it'll be a nice bike when it's done
      97 TL1000S,K&N filter,Micron exaust cans,Ceramic coated headers (black),Air box mod,+2 Rear sprocket ,Chrome Rims,Metzeler M1 tires,Polished Chain Guard,Heel Guards,Clutch and Brake Levers and Brake arm

Comment

This evening's progress...... Just about ready to drop the motor at this point. After that the forks and swingarm get removed and I start prepping the frame for paint.

Oh yeah, that problematic header bolt? Broke
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

THAT IS NOT FUN.

Comment

broke inside the head? are you able to weld a nut on by chance?
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

We'll see Lou....
              Ron
              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Originally posted by meanstrk
                What you guys don't realize is that I plan on having this thing done in a month or so........ Keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
                totally doable.
                I brought mine back from the dead in a little over a month. That includes re-wiring the entire electrical system.
                91 Kat 600
                02 B12 S
                03 YFM660RR
                00 TRX 250D

Comment

great project ron!!

Looks like there are many things to do, I envy you!
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Don't envy me, just send parts!
                    Ron
                    MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

when you are done...bring it to me...I'll give you $1000 for it!

Comment

Canadian? That wouldn't even cover gas to drive back up there.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Looks like a typical project from here last two years..........

Man...........I did SOOO MANY of those things...........nothing scares me about them anymore!

I usually just swapped parts with better or newer ones, then cleaned up the old ones later.............saves a ton of time, but.................

BTW.............someone mentioned the head cover. The 1988 ones had flush or flat covers - the fins showed up in 1989.

MeanStreak: BTW............the 1988 models had different rotors and rims..........the rotors will NOT interchange wiht 89-97 ones as they are different sizes.................the caliper bolts mounts won't allow the newer rotors. I have a complete set of '88 rotors here though if you need them.

Also, I was using a paint I got from Advance Auto - its a RIM Silver. Use it for your swing arm & fork lowers (if you rebuild them). Looks great, and very close to stock Suzuki silver.
                          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
                          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
                          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
                          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Originally posted by Special K
                            BTW.............someone mentioned the head cover. The 1988 ones had flush or flat covers - the fins showed up in 1989.

Thank you for answering my question
                            91 Kat 600
                            02 B12 S
                            03 YFM660RR
                            00 TRX 250D

Comment

Today's progress:

Obviously, I have finished tearing it down now and actually have the frame just about prepped for paint at this point. It is in much better condition than first appeared with only minor pitting in the metal in a couple places, none of which will be bothered by any possible weakening. At this point, I will be going through every single piece one by one and refinishing them. There are a couple pieces I still need to get, namely forks, but we have plenty of time for that. I did receive the new (Slightly used) Bandit shock today that will be getting installed in it.

If anyone has a 88 to 97 that they have cut the rear fender off, please let me know. I need a tag light cover if someone has one laying around.
                              Ron
                              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Keep'er movin'! She's looking better already.

Comment

Working...
                                X