Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Mysterious NO START (it was fine before)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious NO START (it was fine before)

About a month ago I purchased a '04 Kat that had been dropped. A few random parts later (most expensive was the left hand side engine, or clutch, cover) and it's ready to go.

I've started the bike a half-dozen times over the last month and taken one short ride - never with any problems. This morning, though, was my first real ride. After about half-an-hour I got home and went to start it again only to get NOTHING. Not even a hint of a start. It acted like the kill switch was on.

I tried for about ten minutes to get it going, flipped the kill switch a bunch of times, tried it with the kick stand up and down, always had the clutch in, yadda yadda yadda.

My hunch is it's a loose wire and that it was fine before because this theoretical loose wire didn't act-up until either the bike was warm, or it got jarred going over a speed bump.

Any advise on where I should start looking?

If it's been started only about 6 times the last month, and especially if it sits outside, you may want to look at the start button. Those two little contacts in there kinda glaze over. That grime nearly wiped right off, but I scraped them clean with a knife. It's a simple place to start. That button assembly comes apart pretty easy. If it's like mine pay attention to the orientation of a little metal plate that covers the contacts. I felt like a retarded monkey putting mine back together because I couldn't remember which way it was facing. When mine acted up I knew it was the starter button because I could smash the crap out of it and kinda wiggle the button around and it would make contact periodically.
    '01 TL1000R

Comment

I'd start by checking the battery voltage between the poles. Should be 12.6 minimum (12.7 to 13.2 preferably) with the bike off, and 13.2 to 14.8 with the bike running at 5k RPM.

Then start working through the switches and safety interlocks (starter switch as was suggested above -- dissassemble, spray out with WD40, look for corrosion or carbon-build-up and clean, repack with dielectric grease).

KNOW THIS:
      Each time the battery loses enough charge to turn over the bike, it has lost about 25 - 40% of it's remaining storage capacity permanently. Kill the battery three or four times, and it won't have enough power left to start the bike, no matter how well you charge it.

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Did you find out the problem? my Kat is doing the same thing, I think mine is the clutch switch. I will most likely bypass it. It really made me mad-it cost me the last ride of the season to Judys gap in West Va. any imput is appreciated
        http://scpmc.net -Central PA Motorcycle
        Community

Comment

It turned-out to be the clutch switch - loose wire. Thanks for the input, interesting to read.

Comment

Working...
          X