X

MSF:ERC and BRC one man's opinion.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSF:ERC and BRC one man's opinion.

Well I have now taken both the MSF Beginner(BRC) and Experienced(ERC) rider courses. Here are my thoughts.

Beginner – Excellent for someone who has never been on a bike before and wants to see what it is all about. Also great for someone who has been out of the riding Scene for a long time.

Mine was a three day class. The first day we covered class room work, like TCLOCKS and other acronyms and the affects of drugs and alcohol on your riding. It also covered a lot of items that will be on the exam test later n the class (to get your waiver for the riding portion of the DMV Motorcycle license testing.)

The second day we started basic, this is a motorcycle, these are its controls. We used the clutch to get the bike moving and slowly progressed to riding versus walking the bike. We eventually got to do harder tests of skill like weaving and such.

The last day we improved on what we learned in the prior day and did the old figure 8 in a box, swerving, obstacle avoidance and etc. We ended the day with a skills test and the written test. The whole thing was pretty easy, I thought, because of the slow progression from one skill to the next. To give you an indication on how easy it was I scored 100% on both the written and riding portion of the test. If I can do that anyone can. My background is that I have not ridden a two wheel motorized vehicle in over 16 years. If anything the test gave myself more confidence in riding. Owning your own motorcycle is not required for the class.

Experienced – Excellent for someone who has changed bikes to a different class of machine or needs a refresher after a few years.

This was a one day class. The new curriculum contains one motorcycle instruction and on site class room instruction. This is geared more toward those who know how to ride and those who own their own motorcycle. (You use your own motorcycle for the tests and skills tests.) The first part of the day we did basic items so that the instructors could get a feel for what we knew and our experience level. We did simple turns, obstacle avoidance and such. Basiclaly it is just like the Beginner class but without the preliminary stuff and there is not a written test unless you only have your permit. I enjoyed the class only because it allowed me to practice skills I would not normally practice on my bike. Things like U-turns, serving, weaving, and stopping. Our group for the day consisted of a few cruisers, 7 goldwings, babs and I. I must say you can make fun of goldwings all you want but these boys had some skills. The skills test was easy, I did get points taken off for not being fast enough in a turn. Imagine that a sport bike not fast enough in a turn, but hey I passed.

In retro spec, would I have taken the ERC so soon after the BRC? Probably not. However it was nice to practice some skills on my bike in a closed setting. The only issues I had were in the box I was afraid of dropping my bike and scraping my plastics. Even the instructor realized that. All in all it was a good day, HOT, but good. Poor babs had full black leathers on in the scorching sun all day. Our poor kats were feeling the pain by the end of the day with the heat and the bikes being air cooled and all.

for more information on either of these classes and availiblity check out www.msf-usa.org

Cheers!
    Z
    Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Hey , at least you passed ! So I guess taking it so soon after the BRC wasn't all THAT bad since you passed it , eh ? Kinda glad I bailed then , cause I woulda hated standing around in a parking lot in MY full black leathers all day !
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
      Hey , at least you passed ! So I guess taking it so soon after the BRC wasn't all THAT bad since you passed it , eh ? Kinda glad I bailed then , cause I woulda hated standing around in a parking lot in MY full black leathers all day !
      Did not matter if I passed or failed I still have my card for insurance purposes form the BRC. :mrgreen:

"That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness." - Declaration of Independance

Comment

Yes the ERC was well worth doing. It had been over a year since I had taken the BRC so it was a great refresher as well as fine tuning some of the more challenging slow manouvers. I would certainly recommend it to anyone changing bikes. It is a fast and safe way to get familiar with the clutch/throttle dynamics of a new machine.

The three most important take home messages ( one woman's opinion):

1) BOTH brakes at all times people! Regardless of the exercise, points were deducted if the rear brake was not used in unison with the front.

2) Head up! As redundant as it sounds, any problems people had with the tight manouvers were due to looking at the ground in front of them.

3)Always downshift to 1st before coming to a complete stop - that way you are always prepared to move out of the way should the idiot behind you not see you stopping.

It was very, very hot in leathers on Sunday, but thats okay.... because so was one of the instructors ... and that more than made up for the discomfort .. .

Comment

Lets see some pics Babs!!!
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I took the ERC a long time ago, and Im about due for a refresher.. even after riding street bikes 17 years, it never hurts to continue learning and get re-aquainted w/ the MSF again. And besides that you can meet alot of people to ride with there as well.

Its a win-win situation all the way.

Comment

erc

can you take the ERC class and then get your waiver without taking the BRC class?
              Katana 750 2002

Comment

I think you can take the ERC without taking the BRC so long as you have your full motorcycle license/endorsement and that way get a reduction on your insurance premium.

Comment

erc

do u think that they would let u take the erc if u dont have a street licence but have a racing licence? seems silly if i had to take a biginers coarse

Comment

You can take the erc if you have your permit for a period of time and have riden more tahn 500 miles or a year. I think those are the requirements.

Comment

I take the BRC about twice a month and the ERC once a month and still learn something each and every time. The ERC is not meant for beginners and in fact, we do discourage new riders from taking it until they are comfortable on thier bike. ERC can be taken with a permit only however, I have never had a student with such. The MSF doesn't require any milage or time restraints so there ya go.
                      sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                      MSF Rider Coach 27028
                      MoPowerSports.com
                      Torco
                      SoCalTrackDays

Comment

Do you guys have an ARC (advanced rider course)?

Ours takes place on a local track...no they don't teach you how to grind, but they do teach you hard turning and good lines.

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                          Do you guys have an ARC (advanced rider course)?

Ours takes place on a local track...no they don't teach you how to grind, but they do teach you hard turning and good lines.
                          That would be awesome. I would love to get aquianted with the fast moving side of my bike!

Comment

I just took the BRC this past weekend from my Old Man's recommendation. Overall it was a great course, yes a little slow in the beginning, but I picked up a lot of little tips.

Next year I will more than likely take the ERC, I'm sure it will be just as good for tips and tricks as the BRC was.

Comment

WHen I took the MSF class I went in there all hard assed thinking I was the best rider in the world. He proved me wrong pretty fast. I learned the fundementals and now I live by them. Make your life more easy...learn the correct way and use it...too easy!
                              [email protected]
                              2002 Suzuki Katana 600
                              2002 Kawasaki Ninja 250
                              2003 Dadge Stratus R/T
                              1998 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                              X