X

Confirm part please

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confirm part please

Hello, I need help with a small carb part on my 96 600. It's the removable air jet on the inlet side. The only one the unscrews. I have two damaged ones and need to replace but bike bandit has two different (#38) parts but only one in the diagram. Same price too. Thank for any help.

One is probably for bikes that are CA smog equipped, the other is for 49 state bikes. Sorry, I can't help with which is which. But the wiki might, there is info on there about different bikes and their carb internals. Worth a shot.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

There is a thread, maybe a sticky, that will state what the carbs have. http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php?...Specifications
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 03-08-2016, 12:03 AM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

You are probably correct on the CA vs 49 spec. It doesn't say which is which on bike bandits website. And the wiki does no good either, it simply states the sizes nothing about the part. Besides, I have no idea what the part is actually called, it say (jet, air) for one and (jet, pilot air) on the second, on the parts diagram. I'm assuming the pressed of the two comes in the carb body from the factory and the threaded - removable jet is the one pictured as #38. California and 49state would make the most sense, now just need to know which is which. Thanks to both of you for the input

Comment

So, I guess telling you it doesn't make a bit of difference isn't the answer you're looking for?

Comment

Well if you are the one telling me that, lol I may just be inclined to listen and agree. There's no size difference, or it doesn't change enough to matter? My only concern is that I'm only replacing two, not wanting to have different flow rates if I can avoid it. (Asking because the wiki claims a .05mm difference between CA and non CA pilot air jet, if that's the part we are talking about) I really appreciate your input arsenic, thanks

Comment

There's a size difference, but it's not enough to do anything. The information is clearly listed in the manual. I have the information in my garage. I'll confirm it later.

Comment

I appreciate it man, I received my clymer manual in the mail today, and went to a cycle shop in town to order the Jets. Thanks everyone for the help and input.

Comment

If you have the manual you don't need me to confirm anything, it tells you. Which is good because I forgot to look and I'll probably forget next time too.

Comment

Well I didn't have it when I was ordering parts, just trying to very. I have it now so you can sleep easy knowing one less needy Katana child needs a hand held.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      There's a size difference, but it's not enough to do anything. The information is clearly listed in the manual. I have the information in my garage. I'll confirm it later.

Hello so I am still having idle issues and so I pulled my carbs today to clean all my circuits again. I noticed a decent size difference in the two new pilot air jets. Almost half the diameter of the old ones. Will that really not make a noticeable difference?

My symptoms are:

Starts easily when cold and hot but my choke doesn't seem to be very accurate, too little and it starts still but wants to die and to much it still wants to die but will start. She seems to like about half most of the time even when hot and idling at a stop.

Sometimes it will hesitate on low acceleration but will pull better with more throttle.

Mid and high power seem fine and pull hard.

It doesnt seem to have a consistent issue either, I can't dial in my idle basically. (No tach still so that makes it worse, working on getting a temp tuning tach)

Fuel screws set to 2.5 out.

Fuel is clean going in. (Additional glass filter)

Carbs have been rebuilt and deep cleaned. (What did I likely miss?)

New air filter and spark plugs & wires.

Is this a dirty idle circuit and jet? Do I need to change the old air jets to the new type with all four having the same diameter?

Thanks for the time everyone and any help. I want my kat to run smoothly and am having a good time dialing and tweaking everything

Jordan

Comment

There aren't two pilot air jets. There's a pilot air jet and a main air jet.

Comment

Ok... lol well... are the two ports (one removable, one in place) on the intake side of the carbs, the pilot air jet and main air jet?

Or are you referring to the two removable jets? One located on the intake side and one located under the float and black rubber plug?

Any input on the difference in diameter or does your quoted statement at the top still hold?
                          Last edited by GravityKat; 05-22-2016, 03:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

The two jets on the intake side are the main air and the pilot air. They're both removable, but there is no reason you'd ever remove them. The quoted statement still holds 100% true. The main air jet doesn't appear to be removable, but a #1 screw extractor does the job every time. The replacement ones are slotted. I worked at a dealership. Our bread and butter is replacing shit that doesn't need to be replaced. I just did what the service manager told me, I didn't question it.
                            Last edited by arsenic; 05-22-2016, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Thats great info, thank you. I didnt think the smooth circle jet was removable because there isn't a part number in the breakdowns I've seen, plus I didn't think about an extractor lol.

So onto my idle issue, everything I'm reading on here and anywhere else - points me to the idle circuits. Are there more ports than you can find by eye? Because when I place the hose of a can-o-pray to ports and squirt, it comes out everywhere it looks like it should and uniformly across all carbs. Would slightly out of sync cause these issues? I just replaced the o-rings from the head to boots as I found a leak with carb start spray. Everything seems tight now though, no vacuum leaks and valve train sounds ok. New cam tensioner spring as well .
                              Thanks.

Jordan

Before the torches get lit and pitchforks sharpened. I'd like to add. The carbs were heat soaked and soda blasted and steam blasted within 60 days. I've riden the bike daily since then. The spray n pray currently is just to get an idea on troubleshooting. Theres a few places here in Vegas that ultrasound hot tank parts that I plan on cleaning the carb bodies completely with if need be.
                              Last edited by GravityKat; 05-22-2016, 04:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
                              X