Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

2004 GSXF 600 leaking oil, any recommendations?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2004 GSXF 600 leaking oil, any recommendations?

A person at my office got on my 2004 gsxf 600 and when we got off he knocked it over onto the right side. Besides the obvious plastics damage the frame hit the curb. When this happened the frame flexed and hit the bolt in this picture, and now when the bike is running it leaks oil, and not just a small amount, I lost about a quarter of a quart before I noticed the leak about 5 miles down the road, and about another half quart before the bike cooled. Of course I took off all plastics and cleaned all oil away to confirm that the leak is coming from this bolt. My mechanic says that he can put sealer around the bolt to stop the leak, but he says the engine damage inside from the bolt being hit so hard will only make this a temporary fix, and the engine will eventually go, so I may as well spend the money and get a new engine. I read another thread that is contrary to that, basically saying that not much is behind that bolt, but i do not know if that thread was talking about this exact one as i do not know the name of the bolt. Thank you to all and any who can help with some info.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mgljr84; 02-18-2012, 06:21 PM.

Hello. Unfortunately, I don't know much more than you do concerning that bolt. Looking at Ron Ayers, that bolt is called an oil gallery plug.

That would lead me to believe that the hole was probably for machining an oil passage or something, and the bolt is literally a plug. I would think that if the threads in the head are damaged, you could possibly repair those? As long as the repair wouldn't block oil passages just inside there. Worst case scenario though, get a new cylinder head, you wouldn't need an entire engine.

I actually have a spare engine out in my garage right at the moment. I'd be happy to go pull that bolt/plug out tomorrow when I can see better, and possibly get a better idea of what you'd be working with. Hopefully, someone that already knows will chime in.

Dan

Comment

take a look at this
      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Wow, You guys cant imagine my relief right now....or maybe as riders you can. Only had it for 3 weeks and i was thinking i couldn't enjoy it again for a long while. ygolohcysp, after reading thread from link rexazz2 posted i think im good and have the fix. Thank you greatly for the offer though. Rexazz2, thank you also for taking the time to find the solution for me. I will have to get that site search down better. My first day as member on here and I will be a lifer now!!! THANK YOU!!!
        Last edited by mgljr84; 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM.

Comment

A tip on the site search, use the google search listed in the search dialog box. It's better than the other.

Comment

There isn't a damn thing behind that bolt that will cause the engine to "go". It goes bolt than gasket than into the cylinder head. Replace the gasket, it's probably like $0.78 cents and your good to go. And find a new mechanic. Preferably one that's not full of it. Scratch that, it's $0.21 cents. That part has been superseded to p/n 09168-14004, now it's $0.94 cents. It sure went up a lot.
            Last edited by arsenic; 02-18-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Thank you arsenic, .78 cents ALOT better than 780 bucks!!!

Comment

BTW
                the best way to repair would be a new gasket/washer
                that is kind of a PIA because of the clearance to the frame so the above gives you some options

As Arsenic stated it might be time to find a new mechanic because what we see / know doesnt call for a new engine
                Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

It may be worth noting that you should look closely at the bolt/plug. If the frame hitting it flexed it enough to cause the gasket/washer to leak, the head of that bolt/plug may be bent. You might want to try seeing if it's loose/can be tightened to make sure the threads are okay (should be fine). Hopefully, that teflon tape idea can work.

I would also agree with finding a new mechanic.

Also, as to you being new here and staying, it's a great forum. Sometimes people have strong opinions, and some people can be abrasive at times, but it really is one of the best forums I've belonged to. Lots of people stay even after moving on from a Katana. We also like to stress using all the gear, and safety.

Enjoy the bike, enjoy the forum, and ride safe!

Comment

Originally posted by ygolohcysp View Post
                    ...Sometimes people have strong opinions, and some people can be abrasive at times...
                    ...and sometimes some of us like to egg them on. It's all in fun, though. This is one of the friendliest forums I've ever found.
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                      ...and sometimes some of us like to egg them on. It's all in fun, though. This is one of the friendliest forums I've ever found.
                      I think we need Dan to do a rendition of kumbya:hugz
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          This is one of the friendliest forums I've ever found.
                          Friendly smiendly. Sometimes people need to be called stupid (myself included)to get a point across (usually because they are listening to a mechanic). But it's nothing personal and all in the spirit of getting you back on the road. If and when it happens to you, don't take it the wrong way and just practice up on your snarky come backs, you'll do just fine. This really is the best forum I've been on and the vast stores of info from members here will trump just about ANY 1 mechanic out there. Or at least any that most of us could afford.
                          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Now that's just stupid. :bunny2
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Quick question about the oil gallery plugs... the one near the right side on the crank case... I cannot get it off and I stripped it. Any suggestions on how to get it off before I cut a slot in it and order a new one?
                              Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Working...
                              X