X

Im Makeing a Wide Body Bag!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrSandman818 View Post
    Im also gonna get my bike ready for a possible ride in March from Wershington to my home town in So Cal. PCH is lookin like one sweet twisty route. Im thinking that I can get down there in just over a day.
    Not sure exactly where you're starting out from and where your end destination is, but the PCH can move very slow. If you get some clear stretches it can be fun riding and while the views are spectacular, be prepared to be stuck behind slow moving motor homes and small traffic jams at view point lookouts. Even if you had clear sailing all the way, Washington to SOcal can put you over 1000miles which is way more than you should do in one day. My suggestion would be at least break it into two full days. There is some nice primitive camping in the Smith River area of Northern CA just across the boarder. You could get down there easily in one day, stop in a ranger station for a fire permit, and camp for free down a backroad in the woods. The rangers are good about pointing you to primitive sites if you inquire.

Comment

Originally posted by JokerZwild View Post
      Any issues with fender contact with those lights mounted there?
      haha, as a matter of fact i do. Its not bad, but my bike is satin black so its just a matter of some rattle can action. I coulda shortened the brackets a little then welded them back together but i decided to leave it for now. Im actually waiting for these new amber led fog lights that put out 1000 lumens and draw less current that my turn signals. Ive been talking to the owner of the company and he said they should be out in a month or so. So when they come out im ditching the projecter fogs and going with those. Im going to remove my front turn signals and cut out the plastics and mount them there. Then Ill plastic weld the fairings to make it look like it belongs since there gonna be recessed in the fairings. Then Im gonna get the mirrors with built in turn signals and life will be good.

I just picked up a header today off of a 98 kat and it bolted right up to my 93 kat. Just had to get shorter bolts. Now im rockin a 4 into 1 exhaust for a whopping $25 and some wrench time. Ill post pics a little later

heres the link for the led lights, there spendy but there bullet proof. litterally. Im looking at the "dually" 2"x2" lights

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
      Not sure exactly where you're starting out from and where your end destination is, but the PCH can move very slow. If you get some clear stretches it can be fun riding and while the views are spectacular, be prepared to be stuck behind slow moving motor homes and small traffic jams at view point lookouts. Even if you had clear sailing all the way, Washington to SOcal can put you over 1000miles which is way more than you should do in one day. My suggestion would be at least break it into two full days. There is some nice primitive camping in the Smith River area of Northern CA just across the boarder. You could get down there easily in one day, stop in a ranger station for a fire permit, and camp for free down a backroad in the woods. The rangers are good about pointing you to primitive sites if you inquire.
      I figured that it would be. Im going to be starting from my house in Olympia and then im gonna ride to my moms house in Northern LA thats right off the 210. At least I can split lanes once I cross into cali. Ill definitly have to check out the Smith River. I was also thinking about makeing some bolt on highway pegs for the long trips like this. I rode 150 miles round trip from Olympia to the top of the Olympic Peninsula and back and I was hurting. We made the stops for pictures and for gas but it still sucked at some points. Amazing ride, Just envious of everyone else with highway pegs. Ill find a way to make em work and look good. Just gotta go to the drawing boards and try a few things out. I think I have an idea that might work. Possibly haveing it come through the belly pan vents. Well see how it pans out.
      Last edited by MrSandman818; 02-10-2010, 10:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
      Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
      sigpic

Comment

I figured that it would be. Im going to be starting from my house in Olympia and then im gonna ride to my moms house in Northern LA thats right off the 210. At least I can split lanes once I cross into cali. Ill definitly have to check out the Smith River. I was also thinking about makeing some bolt on highway pegs for the long trips like this. I rode 150 miles round trip from Olympia to the top of the Olympic Peninsula and back and I was hurting. We made the stops for pictures and for gas but it still sucked at some points. Amazing ride, Just envious of everyone else with highway pegs. Ill find a way to make em work and look good. Just gotta go to the drawing boards and try a few things out. I think I have an idea that might work. Possibly having it come through the belly pan vents. Well see how it pans out.
        Just checked a map of where we were at ad it's actually the Six Rivers National Forest (a bit south of Smith River). If your headed south on the 101, a ways past Smith River, you'll hit hwy197. Take that east unit it connects with hwy 199. Take 199 east (it'll actually turn you NE like you heading back to Oregon. Follow it to Gasquet and stop in at the Ranger Station. You can get a free campfire permit (they just want to have you read the campfire rules and get an idea of where you'll be located). Then continue further East on hwy 199 until you get to Patrick Creek Road (Co Route 316). It's gravel, but not too bad. Just follow the windy road a way up into the hills. It follows along side Patrick creek and there are a number of primitive campsites next to the creek (primitive just means no toilet...all the ones I saw had a fire ring and a picnic table). Pass the first 3 or 4 and there will be a few further on to the left side of the road that drop down to the creek and are pretty private. Nice quiet camping away from the riff raff and best of all, it's free!

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari View Post
          Just checked a map of where we were at ad it's actually the Six Rivers National Forest (a bit south of Smith River). If your headed south on the 101, a ways past Smith River, you'll hit hwy197. Take that east unit it connects with hwy 199. Take 199 east (it'll actually turn you NE like you heading back to Oregon. Follow it to Gasquet and stop in at the Ranger Station. You can get a free campfire permit (they just want to have you read the campfire rules and get an idea of where you'll be located). Then continue further East on hwy 199 until you get to Patrick Creek Road (Co Route 316). It's gravel, but not too bad. Just follow the windy road a way up into the hills. It follows along side Patrick creek and there are a number of primitive campsites next to the creek (primitive just means no toilet...all the ones I saw had a fire ring and a picnic table). Pass the first 3 or 4 and there will be a few further on to the left side of the road that drop down to the creek and are pretty private. Nice quiet camping away from the riff raff and best of all, it's free!
          Well thanks for all the info, ill check it out since im still looking at different route options. This will be one huge adventure for a Kat that I paid $50 for and was once wrecked and getting ready to go to the junkyard.
          Takeing blowing up porta potties to a whole new level!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X