X

Change your battery people!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change your battery people!

Like the title says, Change your battery!

It's geting to be that time again and bikes are starting to come out of their long winter sleep. Already I am starting to see the threads popping up from people who cannot get their bike started and as usual everyone goes to the worst case scenerio.... my starter is bad, my cdi is bad, etc, etc, etc. If it ran when you put it away and it won't now IT'S YOUR BATTERY!
    Even if the bike is turning over...It's your battery! Even if it runs but runs like crap....It's your battery!

Bike batteries don't last like car batteries and even though it may have enough juice to make your lights come on and turn the motor it probably doesn't have enough to turn it fast enough and create good spark.

Batteries are relatively cheap, particularly if you go with an aftermarket (walmart) brand. Skip the headaches and the disbelief becasue you have lights and just plan to put in a new battery along with that fresh gas and oil.

Still good or not I replace mine every year now. It's too cheap and easy to do and connected to so many other problems that it's just a good investment that I recommend to everyone, especially if your having problems.
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Re: Change your battery people!

Originally posted by BraadaJim
    It's geting to be that time again and bikes are starting to come out of their long winter sleep.
    Ah dude we still have 4 feet of snow up here
    I don't need a girlfriend... Windows goes down on me everyday!

Comment

I keep mine hooked up to a Battery Tender Jr whenever I am not riding. 3 years old and it still starts my bike like it was new.

Comment

Simple battery tests:

CyberPoet's Motorcycle Electrical System Diagnostics.

If, with the battery charged, you've got under 12.7 volts between the poles, replace it.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It's geting to be that time again and bikes are starting to come out of their long winter sleep.

its like 70 degrees outside but this whole week its just been non stop raining.................first week of warm weather here and its taken over by damn water!!!!

Comment

I was all psyched to get my battery swapped, get her running, then start installing all of the parts I've ordered this week (I'll probably start a thread when I begin that journey into the unknown), then I watched the news last night and it's going to be in the 20's and snowy next week. I don't want to potentially kill another battery, so I guess I'll be waiting for a while longer.

Comment

I'm so sorry about your bad weather Living down here in sunny Florida does have its perks...Sports all year round, beach almost all year round, and motorcycle riding all year round

But getting back to the thread...my wife's bike just stopped working on her as she rode it one day. It briefly started up for her and she made it home. I took it for a test ride and got a couple of miles from the house before it died on me and I had to trailer it back home. All the lights worked and it just clicked rapidly when I tried to start it. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a battery. I prepped the battery as instructed, installed it, and the bike started right up. It was an easy and inexpensive task to do. No problems since then.

Hope you guys get to ride soon!
              sigpic
              John - AKA: Negster
              2005 Katana 600

Comment

I put may battery on the snowmobile for the winter then it never dies.

Comment

Re: Change your battery people!

Originally posted by KitKat
                  Originally posted by BraadaJim
                  Ah dude we still have 4 feet of snow up here

Same here ...
                  Guylaine
                  Try and keep up now

Comment

how long do they usally last for? 3 or 4 years?

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                      how long do they usally last for? 3 or 4 years?
                      2 to 2-1/2 is common. 4 usually only with a trickle charger when not in use and maintenance (in the case of non-maint-free batteries).

A lot factors play into that:

The hotter it is in your area, esp when you ride, the shorter the life (cold reduces a battery's potential temporarily -- heat reduces it permanently)

The more you ride, the shorter the life (vibrations, heat). Do 45k miles a year, and it'll probably only see a year of life.

The less you ride, the shorter the life if it's not on a trickle charger during the interim (running it low permanently reduces the storage capacity by a percentage each time it drops below about 12 volts).

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Mine is due to be replaced this spring too. Last time I got a new battery I picked it up at AutoZone, Yuasa, for like 40.00 or so. Brand new, take it home, put it in the bike, and away you go. A very inexpensive way to help keep your bike starting and running well.

Comment

this thread makes sense... except for the "winter" part... whats that?

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
                            this thread makes sense... except for the "winter" part... whats that?
                            Come up to Canada and I'll show you.
                            "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

we got almost 5 inches in 2 hours today its nice and cold here

Comment

Working...
                              X