X

chassis is 99% complete yay! *56k warning*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazymofo
    meanstrk:Guy: the swingarm tube dosnt foul on the engine at all.. yes it gets closer, but has no effect on the bike.
    as for the shock mounting and the linkage position.. ive been lucky and had a mate with a 98 R1 i can have a good close look at and take mesurements and crap from. Thanks for letting me know about that adjustable link. here'd you get it from?
    Damn dude are you f**king serious? You have it bolted in and you were able to use the katana swingarm bolt? It's installed and it DOESN'T HIT!!!!! *&%#!@? DUDE NOOOO!!!!! I had a 2002 r1 shock that I wanted to use so bad but it wouldn't work with a gixxer arm. I assumed an r1's axle tube wasn't any smaller in diameter... What does the inside of the arm measure rail to rail (where the wheel bolts up)? I just sold it, it was mint, $5 Oh well I have to much $$ in my gsxr set-up to turn back now. I got the links off ebay from this guy:

Well at least we'll be able to post pics of each others suspension progress. Ya know I'm going to post a pic of my set-up This is now the designated winter suspension mod update page..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Originally posted by SweetLou
      All I can say is... "Dayum"!!!
      +1

I managed to change my oil and filter and didn't get a drop on the pipes. Was so proud I made Lisa come out and look.

I am in freakin' awe of you and others like you:
      Waltari, Lou, SpecialK, etc...!!!

We are not worthy.
      sigpic

Comment

Here's my chassis/suspension set-up. Running 04 gsxr750 rear-sets, 03 gsxr 600 front end, 04 gsxr1000 rear shock. Currently have a 03 gsxr600 swingarm at work and a 02gsxr750 braced arm on the way (trying out both). Both the shock and forks are getting resprung with race tech springs. I just stopped working killer overtime last week and plan on starting on the chassis this weekend. First race day is April 15 so have some work to do... Hey you going to the katana rally? I'm thinking of doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by guy2600
          Hey you going to the katana rally? I'm thinking of doing it...
          *cough cough* Check his location .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
            Originally posted by guy2600
            Hey you going to the katana rally? I'm thinking of doing it...
            *cough cough* Check his location .
            If Crazymofo makes it to the rally I promise to personally wash and detail his beast with my own toothbrush and buy a new set of tires.... cause he'll need 'em!!
            sigpic

Comment

oops Master of the obvious I am not...

Comment

rofl!!

tom.. you better be carefull of what you say :P

no joke, im am SERIOUSLY considering taking 2007 off and shipping my bike over to the U.S for a year of touring, working where i need to, to scrape food and gas money.

always wanted to tour the U.S, been a pet dream of mine for the past 5 years or so, i am now in the financial position to do so.

anyways.. back on topic!

guy, the r1 swinger has a much larger swing arm bolt, i retained the gsxf swing arm bolt and the spacer. i then machined up 2 new bearing sleaves to make the standard r1 bearings run with the kat swingarm bolt.

r1 swingarm was machined down to fit between the chassis rails (be mindfull of the OFFSET!)

slight mods to the lower linkage pick up of the standard kat, and a new custom upper mount, and i managed to get it all in there working fine.

im using a complete 98/99 r1 arse end, rear shock and all.

theres a LOT of machine work and general buggerising round with it tho.

the gixxer swinger fits easier, as its not as wide in the swing arm bolt as the r1, and its also slightly more narrower at the front of the swinger meaning less clearance issues, unlike with the R1 item, the lower subframe was cut off, and after a lot of ginding, i now have JUUUUST enough clearence for the swinger (read 4mm either side)

im going to do some more grinding and machining and adaption to get a little more clearence (6mm either side)

the rear brake master cylinder was moved, and then the standard kat rear brake leaver has to be modified to suit. it seems like it never ends! LMAO

ideally id love to run some complete gixxer rearsets, but trying to find them is imposible here in OZ.. well not for a half reasonable price.. new rearset prices are 800bux aus, add the master cylinder shift linkage etc.. gets costly, 2nd hand gixxer items are 500 a pair!!

seems all the ones in the states are either damaged or the fella wont post out to australia so i'll perseve with what i have.

cheers.joe.

PS. if anyone knows of a real cheap set of rear sets from a 00 or newer R1 OR GIXXER let me know also if theres a 05 R1 swinger going cheap let me know as well haha!

Comment

no joke, im am SERIOUSLY considering taking 2007 off and shipping my bike over to the U.S for a year of touring, working where i need to, to scrape food and gas money.

always wanted to tour the U.S, been a pet dream of mine for the past 5 years or so, i am now in the financial position to do so.

PS. if anyone knows of a real cheap set of rear sets from a 00 or newer R1 OR GIXXER let me know also if theres a 05 R1 swinger going cheap let me know as well haha!
                  Joe...if you do head over stateside for some touring. You've got some decent riding and a place to stay in Northern CA.

also...ditto on the rearsets. Looking for a 2000+ pair of gsxr rearsets for my project as well.

Comment

Well sounds like the r1 swingarm is just as much work. When I was shopping on ebay there was lotsa rearsets, picked both of mine up for $80. Hey crazy mofo if you want a set buy rearsets off ebay. Relay me the $$ and I'll pay for them and relay shipment to you.

Comment

guy....sounds like a deal, get me some for under 100 US ans i'll reimburse you the monies, plus a little for ya trouble

thanks heaps for your offer, i'll pm ya when im bloody SOBER!!!

Matt: thanks heaps if i manage to get over stateside, i'll drop you a line

cheers.joe.

Comment

guy....sounds like a deal, get me some for under 100 US ans i'll reimburse you the monies, plus a little for ya trouble

cheers.joe.
                        No Problem...what I really need to do is ship my bike to the gold coast 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Waltari

cheers.joe.
                          No Problem...what I really need to do is ship my bike to the gold coast 8)
                          ROFL!!!

WOTFOR?!! youd know just as much as me, if not more!!! about what your doing,

but i have over 2000 corners all in a 60 mile radius of my house, so i can see why you'd want to come here for a ride haha.. then again, it is australia, not the US. we dont have roads here, we got goat tracks!! instead of fixing cracks in the road.. lets fill them with slippery tar! or pot holes.. fill them with the filling raised past the height of the road...or if a pot hole has a pot hole.. fill that some more.. may as well be cobble stone roads!!

shouldnt complain, it makes for fun interesting riding

cheers.joe.

Comment

cheers.joe.
                            No extra needed. I'll keep my eyes open and let you know when something comes up. What years are you looking for?

Comment

GUY:

00 or newer r1 or gsxr items, idealy with rear bake master cylinder and foot pedal.

your getting a little extra if you like it or not how much is a six pack of beer??

i was having a look at your pic of the chassis, what are you going to do about re-inforcing the subframe, now that the lower has been cut off? keep up the great work and keep us all updated on what your doing

cheers.joe.

Comment

Well I bought some round tubing and was thinking of welding from around where the old subframe mounted to the 2 subframe tubes and running them inboard to the round tube above the swingarm pivot (if that makes any sense). Then I'm going to join the upper and lower subframe tubes in a place or to. I'm going to model the subframe/frame in solidworks and run some force testing with cosmos to help with the design (dude I love that software, and Engineers best friend . Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the steering stem fitment issue and respring the front forks over the weekend. I just hope I can press out the damn stem, might have to find someone with a hydraulic (sp? dude I can't spell to save my life) press. I learned from my '00 750 subframe mod that you need to rebrace or it will bend... I've never resprung forks before so that should be interesting, bought a fork tool kit from traxxion dynamics so that should help. Hey I was playing with my carbs tonight and the fool who owned this bike before me put a full v&h exhaust on it with a k&n filter with NO ring.... NEVER installed a jet kit on it!!! This bike must have ran like sh*t! Luckly I have a jet kit in stock

Comment

Working...
                                X