An update on my rebuild

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An update on my rebuild

Hi Katriders...

Well, everything went well this morning, and my new motor is in the frame of the '97 kat 600 I've got.

Next I am going to do the valves, prelube the top end of the motor, put a new oil filter & plugs in then hook the electrical system back up.

Lastly I'll need to do the plastics, but I think I have a line on a body shop that I can get a good deal from...

It should be back on the road by March with a little luck!

The old motor will likely go for scrap unless someone wants it, and I'm planning to sell the carbs eventually.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Don't for get to hook up the oil lines!!

Looks nice!
    That silver will look cool poking out from the fairings!

Comment

Nice work, and dont forget to remove those rags too

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
        Nice work, and dont forget to remove those rags too

Speaking form experiance matt?

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
          Don't for get to hook up the oil lines!!

Looks nice!
          That silver will look cool poking out from the fairings!
          Right, right. It was just the motor swap yesterday. Since I need to do the valve adjustments yet, I didn't hook anything else up.

I was surprised since the Haynes manual said I was going to need a special tool to get the motor free, but all I needed was metric sockets.

Oh well...
          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Ah, and you can see the scratched up cover on the left side of the bike? I think I'll put the black cover from the old motor on since it's not scratched...
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Lookin good. I may be lost, is that a 600 frame, and what motor is that you just put in??? 750?? Just curious. I may have missed that somewhere.
              Um I dont know any wise quotes so go read katansoldiers quote in his signature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blkpitbull
                Lookin good. I may be lost, is that a 600 frame, and what motor is that you just put in??? 750?? Just curious. I may have missed that somewhere.
                Bike is a '97 600, and the motor is an '01 600. I posted orginally in my "introductions" thread
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Well, the new exhaust is on, the intake boots are on, the carbs are on, the airbox is on, the gas tank is stripped & sealed, 3300ml of fresh oil, and new oil filter.

Tomorrow night I need to run the choke and throttle cables.

After that...it's time to cross my fingers, drop the new battery in, and hope for the best! Wish me luck tomorrow night...

I'll try to remember to have the camera on hand...
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Looks good man.
                    One project done, now on to the next few!!
                    Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                      3300ml of fresh oil
                      Better throw in another liter... I know she's going to need quite a bit more than 3.3 liters, especially with a filter change. Mine drinks a bit more than four liters with a filter change and so have all the other 98+ models I've tinkered on.

As for the old engine/tranny, here's my suggestion:
                      Tear it up. Literally disassemble it as a learning experience. It also makes it much easier to throw it into the garbage can (in pieces instead of whole)

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wicked! My bike is in exactly the same state - waiting for the 1216 to arrive....

I even have all the harness plugs labeled with tape exactly like yours!!!!!

I also was confused with the 'special' tool for removing the motor..... when it was just a couple 14mm bolts, some 12's, and then a really big wrench to pry the motor past those lower oil cooler mounts. Maybe I took my bolts out in a different order than you, but I kept getting the cooling fins jammed between the lower oil coler mounts.....and it was a PITA! A 2.5" wrench and some elbow grease was all it took......

How did you lift your bike off the motor? I bought a $10 - 1000lb. rope hoist and a $5 sling.....rigged it up to the roof of the garage, and yoinked real hard! :P

My "project" is coming along nicely too.....I now have all the major parts, minus a few small things - the Artfibras undertail and hugger are still en route, my rear 44T sprocket is on order, and I have yet to recieve my galfer rotors/lines/pads, or my clutch MC. After those, I have everything!

My sexy new chrome blue vinyls came in the mail today, and MAN do they look good!
                        FrankenKat 1216
                        GS Fiter 816
                        GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          Originally posted by steves
                          3300ml of fresh oil
                          Better throw in another liter... I know she's going to need quite a bit more than 3.3 liters, especially with a filter change. Mine drinks a bit more than four liters with a filter change and so have all the other 98+ models I've tinkered on.

As for the old engine/tranny, here's my suggestion:
                          Tear it up. Literally disassemble it as a learning experience. It also makes it much easier to throw it into the garbage can (in pieces instead of whole)

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I'll double check the oil level if/when it turns over and top it off if need be.

I would like to tear the old motor apart, however I may not be able to. I'm looking to move in May sometime, and it might just be easier to trash the motor rather than move it.

On another note I'll probably be posting some parts in a few days here that are left overs.
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DooD
                            Wicked! My bike is in exactly the same state - waiting for the 1216 to arrive....

I even have all the harness plugs labeled with tape exactly like yours!!!!!

I also was confused with the 'special' tool for removing the motor..... when it was just a couple 14mm bolts, some 12's, and then a really big wrench to pry the motor past those lower oil cooler mounts. Maybe I took my bolts out in a different order than you, but I kept getting the cooling fins jammed between the lower oil coler mounts.....and it was a PITA! A 2.5" wrench and some elbow grease was all it took......

How did you lift your bike off the motor? I bought a $10 - 1000lb. rope hoist and a $5 sling.....rigged it up to the roof of the garage, and yoinked real hard! :P

My "project" is coming along nicely too.....I now have all the major parts, minus a few small things - the Artfibras undertail and hugger are still en route, my rear 44T sprocket is on order, and I have yet to recieve my galfer rotors/lines/pads, or my clutch MC. After those, I have everything!

My sexy new chrome blue vinyls came in the mail today, and MAN do they look good!
                            Oil cooler? I took the oil cooler, the mounts, and all the lines off before removing the motor, so I'm not sure what fins you were hitting.

To drop the motor we supported the subframe with a cycle jack, then just lifted the rest of the frame off of it. It's pretty light with no motor in it.

The only thing that bugs me is all the "little" things that didn't look like an issue, but took forever. I couldn't get the carbs onto the intake boots last night because they were too cold. 45 minutes in front of the wood stove on the garage, and the carbs slipped right in....
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Well folks...the moment of truth was tonight.

Everything was back on, and buttoned up...

the battery was installed....

we gassed up the carbs.......

And........

She started on the second try! I'm extremly happy!! By far it's not the end of this project yet, but by golly I'm pretty close! I took some video which I will try to post tonight or tomorrow.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X