No announcement yet.
X

Any ideas on what happened?????

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont know about that one Mojoe. My car will come back on at times after I turn the key to turn it off. I will turn the key back on and it will come alive again.

I had the same happen on my 4 wheelers and dirt bikes before as well.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch
      I dont know about that one Mojoe. My car will come back on at times after I turn the key to turn it off. I will turn the key back on and it will come alive again.

I had the same happen on my 4 wheelers and dirt bikes before as well.
      if you car does that, it is called "dieseling". that is ususually caused by bad timing and carbon build-up in the cyclinders, which could be on the pistons or plugs. . the vacume of the intake stroke will keep drawing in a bit of gas while the hot carbon build-up will ignite it. Bad gas will cause this. I am betting this car is a normal carb or throttle body....and not EFI?
      It is not doing that with normal firing of the spark plug cuz when you turn off the switch, you are cutting the fire to the plugs.
      It is normal that it comes alive again when you turn on the switch cuz your plugs are firing again and the engine is already turning over....so you skip the starter.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Well my car still turns over for a second or two when turning the key off for the turbo so I could see what you are saying there. Though it is not misfiring or bad fuel. just the turbo I think.

Doesnt matter though. I trust the kill switch on the bike. It has never steered me wrong thus far.........

Comment

for the record, they call it dieseling because that is how a diesel engine shuts down. there are always a few "chugga chugs" after you kill the switch because they use a glow plug instead of a spark plug....so they continue to burn fuel that gets drawn in. at least the old diesels did it that way. have no idea if the plugs are still the same today or not.

this explains it better:

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

depends on the diesal you have noadays. A lot of the heavy duty diesal trucks still do that. Some of the new clean diesal cars no longer do that though. I know the Jeep Liberty diesal is not supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
              Originally posted by skotty
              +1 on the kick stand theory.

I am guessing that if you have a weak kickstand spring or if there is a large gap (due to the metal wearing out) at the end where your kickstand is bolted to the bike, and at 110 - 115 mph, there may be just enough vibrations to have the kick stand come out and disengage the switch. A similar incident happened to me this morning;

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24477
              he said his bike sputtered before dying. did yours? I am betting it didn't if it was the kick stand. It just stalled....maybe came back on if it toggled on/off.
              the kickstand switch works the exact same way as the kill switch. I will give you a $100 if you can make your bike sputter with the kill switch, it will be off or on....no in between.

Well, I am not sure if my bike sputtered, but it did backfire (which I think happens when the kill switch is engaged), and at the time, I didnt know what was going on (especially cause, initially I thought the problem was with the kick stand, but after I pushed the kickstand in and didnt make a difference, I was all confused). It seemed like it died and tried to start back up (after seeing the shredded sidestand switch kill wire, I figured that the backfiring/hesitation was because the wire was getting shredded at the time). As for the bike sputtering with the kill switch, I cant get that to happen, I could really use that $100 though
              2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch
                depends on the diesal you have noadays. A lot of the heavy duty diesal trucks still do that. Some of the new clean diesal cars no longer do that though. I know the Jeep Liberty diesal is not supposed to.
                Mostly it depends on how effective the injectors are at holding the liquid in the common rail or feed tubing -- some drip after the pressure at the common rail drops as the pump shuts off, and it's those that tend to diesel onwards. Any diesel engine that kills the fuel supply dead-shut immediately on key-off can't diesel onwards -- I suspect most of the older ones let the common rail drain.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                  ......there are always a few "chugga chugs" after you kill the switch because they use a glow plug instead of a spark plug....so they continue to burn fuel that gets drawn in. at least the old diesels did it that way......
                  One slight correction there. A lot of people have the misconception that glowplugs work the same as spark plugs. They don't. A glow plug is only used prior to initial start up and for a short time after the engine is running to help warm up the air in the combustion chamber so the diesel fuel will ignite when compressed.

All diesel engines I have ever worked on in my 16 years has been shut off by cutting the fuel at some master switch whether it is a manual pull cable, or an electric switch with a solenoid. Yes, the older trucks I have worked on will "run down" to a stop where the newer ones with the solenoids will just die like a car.

Now for the bike. I have to agree with fuel delivery. The kickstand switch would either be on or off. No sputtering. Sputtering is some fuel, but not enough fuel for a good burn. When you have a flow problem, like needing to hit reserve, you will get sputtering telling you something is not right.

Greg

COURAGE -

Freedom is the sure possession of those alone
                  who have the courage to defend it.

First Sergeant(Ret) - US Army - 21 years

Comment

I would agree with Mojoe, When was the last time your fuel filter was changed? Was it the same kind of sputtering like when you run out of gas and have to switch onto reserve?
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                    X