Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I have added almost 100 miles to the bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have added almost 100 miles to the bike.

I'v been riding it for about two weeks now and am geting close to 100 miles on it. Some how it dosn't feel like it at all.

A few things I thought I would share with every one.

1. I had rode a scooter before my 96 750. Scooters are a great start but one thing I wanted to point out is the fact that scooters don't steer like motorcycles. At least not for guys my size (311lbs). All that was needed to turn the scooter was for me to shift my weight to one side and away you go into the corner. I'm guessing this has some thing to do with the weight ratio of rider to scooter and the fact that the scooter has tiny tires on it.

2. Counter steering is a must. At first I have to admit that I was trying to get the 750 into turns like I did with the scooter. This can work but its very slow to get into the lean. If you are new and have never road a motorcycle before go out on a nice road with as little traffic as you can and play with the counter steering a bit. Be gentle with it and its not so hard to learn.

3. Learning to ride in the grass is an ok way to learn the basics like how to start and stop (slowly). Geting out on the road though helps with shifting because going threw the grass when you pull in the clutch realy slows you down. On the road you can cost further between shifts if you need to.

4. Shift fast. This dose not meen shift threw the gears as fast as possible. It meens between the time you pull in the clutch, shift the gear, and let out the clutch, try and make that as short as possible. The first few rides I was pulling in the clutch, puting my foot under the shifter, shifting, removing my foot from under the shifter, and leting out the clutch. By the end of all that the speed that I started to shift at (lets just say 35mph) had droped 5mph by the time I let the clutch back out. This made for a hurky jurky ride.

Now I'm not saying any of what I said is completely correct. I'm just saying what seems to work for me. If any one has any corrections let me know so I can work on it.

One thing I'm still curious about is when you come to a stop do you clutch, break, downshift, and then let you clutch and break back out? Or do you clutch, break, downshift tell you come to a stop?

if i am comming to as stop i will clutch brake stopand as i am nearing stopping i will shift down to 1st

Comment

When coming to a stop I'll downshift through the gears to 2nd if time permits me and then I'll pull in the clutch, stop, into 1st and off I go. I don't know what kind of tires you have but a good set of aftermarket tires like the Conti road attacks or Metzler Z6's should help you to drop into corners alot easier. The Conti's make turn in's really easy opposed to the stock Dunlops that came with my bike. The difference is night and day.
      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

When you start getting that same 100 miles in before breakfast, then you know you are hooked!
        Ron
        MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

I've got a little more than you on mine now (it's in the shop at the moment... long story) and wanted to comment on the quick shifting. I drive a manual car to and have found a rhythm for getting the shift done in the right amount of time to "catch" the RPMs, basically if i'm at 5k and shift the RPMs drop to about 4k while i'm shifting and releasing the clutch which is where that gear shifts, makes for a nice smooth transition. As far as riding on grass, I never tried that, i'm an MSF man.

Comment

Re: I have added almost 100 miles to the bike.

Originally posted by hcker2000
            I'v been riding it for about two weeks now and am geting close to 100 miles on it. Some how it dosn't feel like it at all.
            I usually put 30 miles on my bike by 6:55 am, mon.-fri. Trust me, that will help you get familiar with your bike.

As for breaking, I usually downshift through the gears. It is often recomended to keep your bike in gear at all times in case you have to pull away suddenly (just a reminder). As mentioned above, good tires make a big difference. So, welcome to the motorcycling community, hope you enjoy your stay.

Comment

Keep in mind I just have my permit so I have to be in by dark

If I could ride at night the bike would have 700 miles on it

I will look into geting some new tires when these get used up. Tell then I will find out what tires they are and see if there junk or not.

I wen't riding today and I just pulled in the clutch used the break and downshifted at the proper times but didnt let the clutch back out just came to a stop like I should. This seems to be the easyest for me and so far I'm keeping track of what gear I am in.

Comment

I have had my 98 Kat 750 for 2.5 months now and have put 5,000 miles on it already. That is a lot of riding. My and my girls record is 410 miles in one day.

Comment

Originally posted by katman05
                  When coming to a stop I'll downshift through the gears to 2nd if time permits me and then I'll pull in the clutch, stop, into 1st and off I go. I don't know what kind of tires you have but a good set of aftermarket tires like the Conti road attacks or Metzler Z6's should help you to drop into corners alot easier. The Conti's make turn in's really easy opposed to the stock Dunlops that came with my bike. The difference is night and day.
                  I'm new to this forum and the Kat Club. Just purchased a newly used 03 Kat 600; right now having the carbs cleaned at a dealer. It came with Michelins and I don't have enough experience with tires but since they're like new (bike has only 1776mi.) I think I'll have them awhile. I never saw Michelins on bikes before. As you can surpmise with such low mileage that's the reason for the carb cleaning...he did have the valves dealer adjusted last Summer so that's a good thing.
                  LMT

Comment

Got 1000 on in less than a month. I find it's extremely fun when you have buddies to ride with where ever we just ride in country with no traffic. I ride to work everyday it's not raining get a little adrenaline going to start the day.

Comment

Can't wait to get my bike back. I have an 05 GS500F but it's just not the same, not even close. Less than a yr. old and I want to sell it already.
                      LMT

Comment

Working...
                      X