X

New Uk Kat Rider ....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Uk Kat Rider ....

Hi everyone. I'm Ryan bought a very cheap 91 gsxf 600 a few weeks back with 29k miles on the clock its my new winter project and a future classic aswell.
    Overall its in good condition and rides like a dream even in winter conditions just getting used to it because ive been riding a 2 stroke supermoto on enduro tyres so for now I'm taking it steady. the tips for riding section on this forum is very handy for taking on knowledge for the road.

I will be replacing the engine oil and filter soon and spark plugs I have already stripped and serviced the rear swing arm and replaced fork seals with fresh oil I will be restoring this bike back to it former glory so know doubt I will be on here a lot ...... nice to meet yas will post some pictures soon.
    Tinkering with engines is an addictive hobby I have come to learn..........

Originally posted by ryan1988 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm Ryan bought a very cheap 91 gsxf 600 a few weeks back with 29k miles on the clock its my new winter project and a future classic aswell.
    Overall its in good condition and rides like a dream even in winter conditions just getting used to it because ive been riding a 2 stroke supermoto on enduro tyres so for now I'm taking it steady. the tips for riding section on this forum is very handy for taking on knowledge for the road.

I will be replacing the engine oil and filter soon and spark plugs I have already stripped and serviced the rear swing arm and replaced fork seals with fresh oil I will be restoring this bike back to it former glory so know doubt I will be on here a lot ...... nice to meet yas will post some pictures soon.
    Hello from across the sea

Welcome to KR

May I recommend going for either a OEM or K&N oil filter. They seem to have the best quality.

Can't wait to see some pictures
    Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
    The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Hi Tecgnome I did notice theres a lot of choice out there and it is tempting to buy cheap when your on a bit of a budget but I did end up getting a good quality one in the end with some good oil. it hasn't had a oil change for a while the one that's is on it currently flaking with rust and the oil is semi thick. will be making a start tomorrow hopefully the rain stays away. will check the sparkys aswell and compression think I may need to buy a longer socket to get them out. lovely looking engine though shame its covered up I have noticed the Suzuki bandit has almost the same engine.

Comment

Hi Tecgnome I did notice theres a lot of choice out there and it is tempting to buy cheap when your on a bit of a budget but I did end up getting a good quality one in the end with some good oil. it hasn't had a oil change for a while the one that's is on it currently flaking with rust and the oil is semi thick. will be making a start tomorrow hopefully the rain stays away. will check the sparkys aswell and compression think I may need to buy a longer socket to get them out. lovely looking engine though shame its covered up I have noticed the Suzuki bandit has almost the same engine.
        I've never heard of oil flaking with rust, that sounds like ground bearings. Is it brown or more of a copper color?

The bandit engine I swapped In mine is a 1157 oil cooled block based off the gsxr oiler. Its almost a direct swap with very minor modifications needed. Its literally a direct bolt in for a katana frame.

When you do a compression test be sure to remove all spark plugs and lock the throttle wide open, use a good battery and a warm engine for accurate results.

I cut my fairing to show off my swapped block, well that and they we're pretty much toast on the lower portions. examples(repaint coming soon )

Check my build thread for examples

My build thread
        Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
        The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Sup! Welcome aboard. Wix also makes a good filter. It also happens to be fairly inexpensive.

If your oil is that crappy looking, I'd recommend a short change. Maybe 100 miles.

Bandit engines are quite similar, they are also compatible with the frame. So fas as I know, all oil cooled bandit and gsxr (and kat) engines will bolt up with minimal modification.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Hi bud, UK here too. Winter is here now but no snow yet! Sounds a good wee bike you got. All the best with it. Try wemoto.com fast and reliable.

Comment

Nice to meet you all. yeh no snow as yet just plenty of rain and these short daylight hours not good lol.

Didnt touch the bike today hopefully can do a service tommorow. providing the wet stuff stays away. and sorry teckgnome didnt mean there was rust in the oil. just the actuall filter near the manifold its looking rusty and old.the oil is mega black n nasty looking not what you want pumping round your block.
              will pop some pictures of the beast up tomorrow.

Just looking for some engine diagrams and engine specs at the minute not sure if there is a haynes manual out for these bikes because i eventually want to replace the headgasket and probably a few other engine bits aswell and plus its good to know how the engine is designed aswell.

Comment

Working...
              X