Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Why do people still ride on stock tires???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i have no idea whats on my 04 600 and its the only bike i have ever rode, i have no way of telling how bad my tire relly are

Comment

I have stock but it is only for a short period until I get some extra cash and buy the mz6(I think) which is about 250 for both inc shipping. Right now driving back and forth to work seems ok on my stock well I think they are stock 2002 750 they say sport tec on them hmmmm
      "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Um , sell the stock tires .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
          My bike is still has the stock tires after 6500 miles. I didn't change them simply beacuse I feel it is waste of resources to throw them away. I am this kind of guy who like to use things until it break or become un-usable anymore.

The good news is I have a new set of Stradas setting on my garage waiting to be mounted after I do the valve adjustement and carb sync.
          i can understand using something until its all used up. but seriously with tires... do you want to use them until they 'break' on you in the middle of a fast turn?

unless your a tire expert(or CP) its hard for most people to know when a tire is totally used up i think. going by miles helps sure, but the type of riding can change that fast. the tire preasure can throw the whole idea out the window. looking at the tread can help, but that wont tell you about cupping, scalloping or any other crazy term im still learning about lol. so unless your certain your tires still have XX miles left, might as well buy new ones before something happens at the first signs and not try to use every last mile of the tire.
          03 katanika

Comment

Like some said the Kat is usually a first or second bike. Also for the most part a large majority of riders are not aware of different profiles, compounds, and tire designs. Until they are exposed to a variety or someone that questions their tires, they have no idea.

After years of riding sportbikes in ny younger days, I shifted to Harley's. I got out of touch with the more aggresive compounds and designs associated with the performance class bikes. Only after I purchased my Kat did I have to reteach myself a different way of riding and thinking.
            One project done, now on to the next few!!
            Explanation to girlfriend," I could be blowing time and money on strippers and booze!!!"

"Ahhh! The bliss of retirement and being broke all at the same time!!"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000
              My bike is still has the stock tires after 6500 miles. I didn't change them simply beacuse I feel it is waste of resources to throw them away. I am this kind of guy who like to use things until it break or become un-usable anymore.

The good news is I have a new set of Stradas setting on my garage waiting to be mounted after I do the valve adjustement and carb sync.
              If anyone wants to sell their stock Macadams, just email me. I have a premade listing I use on eBay when I sell them (used) and you are welcome to have it. No sense in re-inventing the wheel -- and someone, somewhere will want the tire.

Originally posted by iwannadie
              unless your a tire expert (or CP)...

Originally posted by iwannadie
              ...its hard for most people to know when a tire is totally used up i think... looking at the tread can help, but that wont tell you about cupping, scalloping or any other crazy term im still learning about...
              Actually, looking at the tires very closely will tell you everything, including cupping, scalloping, wear, tread depth. There are some very simple rules about when to change your tires:

(A) When your tires are crud. Macadams for example (Cheng Shins too). Don't wait -- buy better, get 'em mounted, and sell the old ones. A set of Macadams with a thousand miles will usually fetch 80% of what a new set of Z6's cost because someone in podunk needs tires and wants them cheaper than the $400 their dealer wants for tires (or is 100 miles from the closest dealer).

(B) Tread depth: when a penny upside down in the grooves will not longer touch the top of Lincoln's head, it's time. Don't wait until you see threads.

(C) Punctures. Patch/plug 'em until the replacements arrive, then swap 'em out. Sell the plugged one on eBay with the information that it's plugged -- someone will give you $25 for it to have an extra burn-out tire.

(D) Scalloping or cupping or dry rot or heat-rot.

Here are some examples of just about everything that makes tires bad -- from another member who was kind enough to send them to me (of his take-offs). The problems on these particular tires include scalloping, cupping, tread depth below minimum levels AND dry rot or heat rot:

Scalloping: Note how the tread blocks are not the same height at the end of one of block as the beginning of the next?

(for a MUCH larger version, follow this link: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/pics...alloping_1.jpg )

Cupping: Note how the center section isn't smooth, but rather cupped downward in something akin to the shape your hands make when cupping them together?

(for a MUCH larger version, follow this link: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/pics...alloping_2.jpg )

Dry Rot or Heat Rot (VOC's gone, causing the rubber to stop binding to itself):

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                i have no idea whats on my 04 600 and its the only bike i have ever rode, i have no way of telling how bad my tire relly are
                It just really depends on how many miles you have on the tires as to whether or not they are "bad" . Macadams do an adequate job for everyday commuting but they dont offer the feedback and confidence in cornering and more aggressive riding as the aftermarket good tires do. The better tires like michelin, metzler, avon, etc are specifically designed to handle the road better, be more reliable, and give you good stability, traction, and feed back to the rider.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
                  It just really depends on how many miles you have on the tires as to whether or not they are "bad" . Macadams do an adequate job for everyday commuting but they dont offer the feedback and confidence in cornering and more aggressive riding as the aftermarket good tires do. The better tires like michelin..
                  Umm...
                  Macadams are Michelins.

TIDBIT OF TRIVIA:
                  Macadam (tires) get their name from one of the first improved road methods of the modern era, the Macadam road building method, named for it's inventor, Scotsman John McAdam. Macadam road involves a triple-layer of rocks (up to 3" stones in the two bottom layers, up to 1" on the top layer). This caused problems when motorized vehicles came along and caused dust to be sucked up from between the stones. The obvious solution? Spraying tar over the macadam, which gave us tarred-macadam, or tarmac for short.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As new riders unless they stumble on a site like this many would assume the stock tires are fine and not know any better. And for just starting out I'm sure for a lot of riders the Macadams suit them just fine since chances are they aren't railing yet.

Here's a pic of a shot Macadam, I think I ran them under pressure, and for far too long. This one had about 14K miles on it.

The Sales guy at the local dealer was looking at the my bike and as he walked around the front all I heard was "Holy Shit".
                    Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                      ...And for just starting out I'm sure for a lot of riders the Macadams suit them just fine since chances are they aren't railing yet.

Here's a pic of a shot Macadam, I think I ran them under pressure, and for far too long. This one had about 14K miles on it.

The Sales guy at the local dealer was looking at the my bike and as he walked around the front all I heard was "Holy shiate".
                      Holy shiate indeed. Hope there's no rain in the forecast nor any sand/gravel/crud on the road surface. Once you pop the Z6's or stradas on there, post up again if you still think the Macadams are suitable even without railing... Personally, I think the braking distance differences are enough to justify the change-over even for the newest rider.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

here what i did to my stock tire on my cbr

Comment

Originally posted by sinfulkat
                          Yeah, but you were pretty much standing still at the time. Imagine what happens if that occurs at 80 mph...

I've known a guy who pressed his tires too far and cartwheel-high-sided at 100+ mph... Guess what his nick is? Blowout.
                          Amazing thing is that he managed to kind of limp away from it without much gear on.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                            Originally posted by sinfulkat
                            Yeah, but you were pretty much standing still at the time. Imagine what happens if that occurs at 80 mph...

I've known a guy who pressed his tires too far and cartwheel-high-sided at 100+ mph... Guess what his nick is? Blowout.
                            Amazing thing is that he managed to kind of limp away from it without much gear on.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet

actually that tire was destroyed while rolling at about 25 mph i love rolling burnouts 8)

Comment

Originally posted by woobie
                              As new riders unless they stumble on a site like this many would assume the stock tires are fine and not know any better. And for just starting out I'm sure for a lot of riders the Macadams suit them just fine since chances are they aren't railing yet.

The Sales guy at the local dealer was looking at the my bike and as he walked around the front all I heard was "Holy shiate".
                              Jeebus woobie, it looks more like a racing slick than a stock tire

Comment

That was the original rubber back in 04 , I'm on my second set of Z6's since then.
                                Kyle

Comment

Working...
                                X