X

Adjust the Valves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adjust the Valves?

I just got my bike running again after swapping out the old engine for a 2005 600. The new engine was in an accident of some sort, not sure if it was highsided or lowsided. I also drilled out the stock exhaust and installed a Factory Pro jet kit with the 114 jets and the needle clip at 3.

I drove it last night and this morning, but it has some issues that are worrying me. At around 6,000 RPM I get a lot of vibration. If I go above 7,000 or below 5,000 it goes away for the most part. I think it's engine related due to the fact it does this in any gear, speed is not factor.

I am also getting a faint ticking at idle while in neutral. It seems to disapear if I increase the engine speed above idle (could be the exhuast noise is covering up the sound). It is not a constant sound and I'm not really sure how to explain it. My neutral light switch cuts out when the engine is warmed up. Perhaps it is related to this. Should I take out the switch and see what I can see? Or is this a much more severe issue and I should adjust the valves right away?

I don't really know the history of the engine so I would like to adjust the valves ASAP and see if this helps with the vibrations and ticking. I have a manual for the pre katana. But I think the adjustment procedure is a little different with the 2005. Should I get a 2005 manual as well or is there a write up somewhere I can use. Are there any parts to replace while I'm in there? I don't think I need shims so is it just a matter of using the right tools and buttoning it back up?

Please help I'm so close to getting this thing back in shape its killing me!

You should be able to download the manual in this thread

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
    mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

I also have a thread right now because I have the knocking noise also but mine gets worse as I rev it. In my thread I have a link to an audio file of what mine sounds like. Check it out,

KatRiders.com conversations about Suzuki Katanas
    and the days spent riding them. Includes Vintage Kats, Street Fighters, 1100 Kats Only, and Long Term Projects.
    Check out me site and let me know what you think. Its a work in progress.

Comment

If they have the shim style (which I think they do), you will have to take it to the dealer to get them adjusted. That is unless you have the shim kit and the tool for them.

Comment

i think that vibration is just a kat thing...i know when i am in 6th right around i think 65 mph it gets a slight vibration unless of course yours is some major vibration...i've also heard reviews that it has slight vibration around that rpm

Comment

carb synch
          -2000 "750"

Comment

The vibration is an I4 thing. I get it on my Kat at about 5500-6200 RPM range. A carb sync helps a bit.

As far as the valves go, I believe the 2005 is the same as my 06 600, they are not shim type, therefor you can do it your self (I did, and its not hard to do).
            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Well I adjusted the valves over the weekend. Most were not in spec. I went through and adjusted them all.

When I took the spark plugs out 2-4 looked very good but number 1 was covered in gas. I took the carbs off and an going to clean them tonight. I might go down a jet size but I'm not sure. I'm also going to synch the carbs again and do the DIY ignition advancer.

I'll let you guys know how its running when I get it fired up again.

EK

Comment

Working...
              X