Help... no spark!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help... no spark!

Hi guys,

Ok, I was driving along and all of a sudden the bike looses power and starts to sound like a lawn mower and then dies. Got it home and cyclinders 1-4 not firing (pipes cold). After investigating I found that there was no spark from the left ignition coil that fires 1-4 so I put a new coil on but still no spark. I then checked the new coil with the wires from 2-3 coil and it works. I'm getting 11.5 volts from the o/w wire and continuity from the other wire back to the ecu and now I don't know what to check next. So, to recap, coil is fine and getting power from the o/w wire and other wire gets continuity back to ecu but still no spark.. What next?

Cheers, Steven (gsx600f 1989)

Originally posted by steviemac View Post
    Hi guys,

Ok, I was driving along and all of a sudden the bike looses power and starts to sound like a lawn mower and then dies. Got it home and cyclinders 1-4 not firing (pipes cold). After investigating I found that there was no spark from the left ignition coil that fires 1-4 so I put a new coil on but still no spark. I then checked the new coil with the wires from 2-3 coil and it works. I'm getting 11.5 volts from the o/w wire and continuity from the other wire back to the ecu and now I don't know what to check next. So, to recap, coil is fine and getting power from the o/w wire and other wire gets continuity back to ecu but still no spark.. What next?

The ground for those coils is through the bolts and into the frame. I'd suggest cleaning the crap out of all those areas and see if that helps.

Comment

Done that and made no difference.. what now?

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      The ground for those coils is through the bolts and into the frame. I'd suggest cleaning the crap out of all those areas and see if that helps.
      Done that.. made no difference! any other suggestions?

Steven.
      Last edited by steviemac; 03-11-2012, 08:30 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I get 13 vdc on the top spade terminals on the ingnition coil and around 12vdc on the lower ones of my 89 gsx600f. If there is anything else I can check and compare for you let me know.

Comment

Hi guys,

Your most likely looking at a bad CDI or an issue with a wire between. The only economical test is to swap the cdi with a known good one. If you can rule out the CDI, then it's wiring between the coil and cdi.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            Your most likely looking at a bad CDI or an issue with a wire between. The only economical test is to swap the cdi with a known good one. If you can rule out the CDI, then it's wiring between the coil and cdi.

Krey
            I was hoping that this wasn't the case.. Krey, could these symptoms have anything to do with the ignition pickup/signal generator?

Steven.

Comment

I was hoping that this wasn't the case.. Krey, could these symptoms have anything to do with the ignition pickup/signal generator?

Steven.

I would doubt that would effect only 1 coil... I believe the signal generator issue would show for both coils.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It would. Most likely issue is wiring from the CDI or the ground isn't as good as you think. Next most likely is the CDI.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                  It would. Most likely issue is wiring from the CDI or the ground isn't as good as you think. Next most likely is the CDI.

Cheers for the input guys. As a backup I've ordered a cdi off fleabay for cheap, in the meantime how do I go about finding a ground issue? What sort of tests do I carry out? Where would I start?

Steven.

Comment

Working...
                  X